It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Report reveals White House attempted to influence Congressional elections

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Link

A new report released today by the House Oversight Committee reveals that the White House orchestrated a huge, taxpayer-funded campaign to ensure Republican candidates were elected into office during the mid-term elections in November, 2006.
In an apparent violation of the 1907 Hatch Act - which strictly prohibits the use of public offices to influence the outcome of elections - the efforts were coordinated by the White House Office of Political Affairs, which used political muscle in an attempt to retain Republican control of Congress.
The report details the travel of thirty-two officials from 12 cabinet agencies and three independent offices to 35 states to make appearances with 99 Republicans running for election in 2006. At least 185 of the 303 events that took place outside of Washington, D.C. were paid for with taxpayer dollars. In fact, emails were obtained by the Oversight Committee detailing conversations between cabinet officials about billing the taxpayer instead of the Republican party

This is disturbing indeed. I don't know if I like my tax money being used to further ANY political reelection agenda, nor do I like the interference this would imply.

[edit on 15-10-2008 by round_eyed_dog]

join