It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Destiny's random thoughts

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Neuroanatomist Jill Bolte Taylor had an opportunity few brain scientists would wish for: One morning, she realized she was having a massive stroke. As it happened -- as she felt her brain functions slip away one by one, speech, movement, understanding -- she studied and remembered every moment. This is a powerful story about how our brains define us and connect us to the world and to one another.

[edit on 15-10-2008 by destiny-fate]

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I was prompted to post this video because over the last few weeks I have been bombarded by questions from atheists on myspace about my beliefs. I respect atheists views but I don't agree with them and that is my prerogative but it did get me thinking - even if there is NO higher form of intelligence ie a creator that should not affect a persons ability to connect harmoniously with both the left and right hemispheres of the brain - because it is only through this connection we can ever hope to reach our full potential as human beings. Can this connection take place regardless of the spiritual association or do the two go hand in hand ? I also wondered if people who fail to connect to this aspect of self are more skeptical and cynical by nature ?

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 09:16 PM
link   
I found Jill Taylor's explanation of the telephone episode really interesting. She could not read the numbers - her perception changed - so instead her mind perceived ( a number ) as a squiggly line - she then had to match the image from her telephone book with that on her telephone. That aspect of the mind speaks to us through images and symbols as do our dreams .

[edit on 15-10-2008 by destiny-fate]

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I have always wondered why as we grow up we get less "magical" and able to believe in things we do not understand or "know". I wonder if it is a function of the brain, or we are taught not to. I have changed so much over the years and not always for the better. Jadedness, disbelief in things I once believed, less empathy for myself and others, less courage, less curiosity, things like that. I had qualities I sometimes miss, or can't believe I used to do things I would never dream of doing now.
The brain is so interesting, and yet we really don't understand it at all and what it is capable of. Sometimes I am really surprised at how others don't think like me, and other times they "get me". Certain skills are innate almost, while others no matter how much you try you just can't do it. Getting to know myself has been a very confusing ride.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 06:06 AM
link   
Yes I see that realm as magical
and I agree with you I think it is the way our education system is structured - more about linear thinking and control ! I was recently reading about a new holistic system of education they were trialling in India - and apparently with great success. Funny when she said she called the right hemisphere of the brain la la land - friends and family have always said I am off in la la land lol or called me star woman or psi chick or off with the fairies

[edit on 16-10-2008 by destiny-fate]

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 06:35 AM
link   
that was an excellent video

it really made me think about how lucky we are to have the mental capacity to be who we are and to do what we do.

we as humans all too often get too caught up in the cold logic of life but i can still remember, sometimes with a smile and sometimes with a tear of joy, the feeling i had as a child when everything seemed so new and fresh and limitless.

it's nice to know that it's been living inside my head this whole time, i think after seeing this i may have the courage to pay that part of me a visit

thank you for posting that video

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 06:48 AM
link   
My pleasure and thank you for putting a big smile on my face

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Have you ever wondered about the full potential of the human mind ? Telepathy, psychokinesis, extrasensory perception (ESP), astral travel just to name a few.

Can we really alter our own reality - I believe so.

It has been said that the human brain is the most complex and wondrous computer in existence. It is also common to hear that we use a very small percentage of our brain's power. As we learn to access and utilize more facets of our mind, we experience less limitation and a greater sense of belonging to the world as a whole. Our personal brain becomes one with the Divine Brain, or with Divine Mind as our conscious awareness expands. Spiritual Masters, such as the Buddha or Jesus, have made that great leap in thought to become one with the Divine Mind but it is also possible for others to reach those enlightened states of nirvana and live in a constant states of bliss.

Einstein thought deeply about the nature of knowledge and of reality, about scientific theories and their relation to the world. He often wondered how the hidden, unseen world that his equations described was possible. How is it that the mind can venture into realms of knowledge divorced from our everyday experiences? Einstein answered with a bold philosophical conviction: our minds have access to the reality beyond what we can see.

Napoleon Hill states the following:
“This much the author does know - that there is a power, or a First Cause, or an Intelligence, which permeates every atom of matter, and embraces every unit of energy perceptible to man…This Intelligence may, through the principles of this philosophy, be induced to aid in transmuting DESIRES into concrete, or material form. The author has this knowledge, because he has experimented with it - and has EXPERIENCED IT.”

W. Clement states:
“Whatever the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve.”

Jesus even confirms this in the Bible when in Matthew 17:20, he states:
“I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there’ and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you.”

When people were in awe of Jesus, he declared, "Greater works than these you shall do". He meant that each one of us holds the seeds of greatness within ourselves.

Our dreams are often connections to those hidden realms of knowledge. In native American culture, they believe one must obey the dream, for the dream came from the Great Spirit, and your dreams are intrinsically linked to your destiny....
Do dreams have a hidden meaning?! ....Perhaps!

Google Video Link

[edit on 21-10-2008 by destiny-fate]

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 06:58 AM
link   
I have been thinking a lot about the Tower of Babel lately. According to the biblical account, Babel was a city that united humanity, all speaking a single language and migrating from the east. The people decided their city should have a tower so immense that it would have "its top in the heavens." However, the Tower of Babel was not built for the worship and praise of God, but was dedicated to the glory of man, with a motive of making a 'name' for the builders "Then they said, 'Come, let us build ourselves a city, and a tower with its top in the heavens, and let us make a name for ourselves; otherwise we shall be scattered abroad upon the face of the whole earth.'" - Genesis 11:4. God seeing what the people were doing, gave each person a different language to confuse them and scattered the people throughout the earth.

The Greek form of the name is from the native Akkadian Bāb-ilim, which means "Gate of the god". This correctly summarizes the religious purpose of the great temple towers (the ziggurats) of ancient Sumer (Biblical Shinar. The Hebrew version of the name of the city and the tower, Babel, is attributed in Gen. 11:9 to the verb balal, which means to confuse or confound in Hebrew.

Etemenanki (Sumerian: "temple of the foundation of heaven and earth") was the name of a ziggurat dedicated to Marduk in the city of Babylon. Nebuchadnezzar wrote that the original tower had been built in antiquity: "A former king built the Temple of the Seven Lights of the Earth, but he did not complete its head. Since a remote time, people had abandoned it, without order expressing their words. Since that time earthquakes and lightning had dispersed its sun-dried clay; the bricks of the casing had split, and the earth of the interior had been scattered in heaps." The Greek historian Herodotus (440 BC) later wrote of this ziggurat, which he called the "Temple of Zeus Belus", giving an account of its vast dimensions

Some Kabbalistic mystics provide intriguing and unusual descriptions of the Tower of Babel. According to Menachem Tsioni, an Italian Torah commentator of 15th century, the Tower was a functional flying craft, empowered by some powerful magic or technology; the device was originally intended for holy purposes, but was later misused in order to gain control over the whole world. Isaac of Acre wrote that the Tower builders had reached, or at least planned to reach the distance of 2,360,000,000 parsas or 9-10 billion kilometers above the Earth surface, which is about the radius of the Solar system. Similar accounts are also found in the writing of Jonathan Eybeschutz and the ancient book Brith Menuchah, according to which the builders of the Tower planned to equip it with some shield technology ("shielding wings") and powerful weapons. Many Kabbalists believed that the ancient peoples possessed magic knowledge of the Nephilim, which allowed them to construct such powerful devices. These accounts coincide with some of Zecharia Sitchin’s speculations and the ufological theories concerning the ancient Indian vimanas. According to another mysterious Kabbalistic account, one third of the Tower builders were punished by turning into various semi-demonic creatures and banished into three parallel dimensions, inhabited now by their descendants.

Though not mentioned by name, the Qur’an has a story with similarities to the Biblical story of the Tower of Babel, though set in the Egypt of Moses. In Suras 28:38 and 40:36-37 Pharaoh asks Haman to build him a clay tower so that he can mount up to heaven and confront the God of Moses.
Another story in Sura 2:102 mentions the name of Babil, but tells of when two angels taught the people of Babylon the tricks of magic and warned them that magic is a sin and that their teaching them magic is a test of faith.

Ultimately I think it was knowledge and power man sought in his quest to reach God. Why does mankind strive so hard to uncover the mystery of “ Life “ + “ The Universe “ = “ God “ on a material physical level rather than a spiritual one ? So he can conquer and control all aspects of nature = creation = creator ? This path will always have a negative outcome that will ultimately affect mankind as a collective - cause and effect !

[edit on 23-10-2008 by destiny-fate]

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 04:24 AM
link   
Watched this amazing documentary called Amazon Abyss. Learning about some of these creatures sent a shiver up my spine. They found a fish that lodges itself in the genitals of men and women in the Amazon river.
The Candirú or Canero (Vandellia cirrhosa) is a freshwater fish belonging to the Catfish group. The species grows only to being one to two inches in length and four to six millimeters wide. It is shaped like an eel and is almost completely transparent, making it almost impossible to see in the water. A fast, powerful swimmer, the fish is smooth and slimy, with sharp teeth and backward-pointing spines on its gill. The Candiru is primarily found in the Amazon and Oranoco rivers and has a reputation among the natives as the most feared fish in its waters.

There are 3 main species of Candiru: the finger-sized Candiru-açu and a toothpick-sized species normally burrow into larger fish. The whale Candiru is a scavenger that only prefers feeding on dead fish. Though they live in the river, like most scavengers they do not like the sun and tend to bury themselves in the mud and sand of the river bottom underneath logs and rocks.

The reason that the Candiru is most feared by humans is because it is the only vertebrate known to parasitize humans! The fish is said to be addicted to the taste and smell of human urine. Candirus parasitize humans, when they are skinny-dipping while urinating in the water. The candiru tastes the urine stream and follows it back to the human. It then swims up the urethra and lodges itself somewhere in the urinary tract with its spines. Blood is drawn, and the candiru gorges itself on the blood and body tissue, its body sometimes expanding due to the amount of blood consumed.

Once inside it would eat away the mucous membranes and tissues until hemorrhage would kill it or the host. It was also said that even if one caught the fish by the tail, once in the urethra it could not be pulled out because it would spread itself like an umbrella. The Candiru can attack both men and women. Penectomy is generally preferred to the misery and pain associated with leaving the fish in the urethra.

The deep water flesh-feeding candiru are very like piranhas in their frenzied attacks.

Amazon Abyss

Google Video Link

Google Video Link

And in my search for part 3 of the above series I found this video which I just wanted to add - because it was so beautiful - it reminded me how important it is for all of us to fight to preserve everything on this amazing planet we call ( HOME ) .

[edit on 31-10-2008 by destiny-fate]

[edit on 31-10-2008 by destiny-fate]

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 03:51 AM
link   

OMG what a genuinely nice guy Chris Isaak is hey ! Watched him on Australian Idol he is such a beautiful person - totally untouched by fame - I love these two songs - so decided to post them

[edit on 10-11-2008 by destiny-fate]

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 10:04 PM
link   

For a very special little addition This is dedicated to my niece - xmas came early this year

[edit on 17-11-2008 by destiny-fate]

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Hopi like most indigenous people are so connected to Mother Earth. Anyone familiar with me or familiar with my threads will know the last two years of my life have been rife with strange synchronicites and meetings. A journey that has led to my study of Native American Indian mythology in particular the Hopi Indian - I feel so connected to their ideologies and have the utmost respect and admiration for their ongoing commitment to honour their initial promise to the Great Spirit - a promise to protect and nurture the land. Borders and ownership - a disease of modern man were a totally alien concept to Indigenous people. For them the earth was a precious gift - something to be enjoyed by all .

[edit on 21-12-2008 by destiny-fate]

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 03:45 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by destiny-fate

this has nothing to do with anything - except that this post reminded me of a movie I loved very much when I was a kid - don't know if you've seen it - came out in 1967

about a Hopi boy and an eagle and magic

it's Disney - but, not a typical sweet Disney - very odd little film:

The Legend of the Boy and the Eagle

www.imdb.com...

I tried to find a clip - but there's nothing anywhere

if you ever get the chance - I think you'd like it

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Thanks so much for that Spiramirabilis - I am always interested in any information to do with the Hopi Indians

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 12:29 AM
link   
My little nephew got one of those small battery operated cars for christmas. His mum was filming him and his sister riding around the back garden as they disappeared behind the house. He stopped the vehicle and came running up the garden yelling he needed his firemans hat - his mum patiently asked " Now why would you need your firemans hat to drive the car " and he replied " Because the car is on fire mummy and I have to put it out " sure enough when she got down to the ride-on-car there was alot of smoke and a smell of burning plastic . Thank god the two little ones were okay but I must admit we all laughed at my nephews very calm and logical response.

[edit on 14-1-2009 by destiny-fate]

[edit on 14-1-2009 by destiny-fate]

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 12:37 AM
link   
A special one for you Spiramirabilis - hope you get as much enjoyment out of this video as I did
I took a major in psychology whilst at college - we spent one whole semester studying primates and I loved every minute of it

[edit on 15-1-2009 by destiny-fate]

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   
thank you Destiny

I so needed to see that today -

as I said earlier - I've always admired her, but I haven't heard her speak for quite some time

was particularly moved by the last few minutes of her talk - always good to hear words of hope from the people on the front lines

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 11:22 PM
link   
I am glad you enjoyed it
I watched it again and it has given me a wonderful idea - one I am really excited about - will write and let you know about it later

Cheers

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join