It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tories win muscular minority

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Tories win muscular minority

ca.news.yahoo.com

Stephen Harper's Conservatives won a stronger minority mandate Tuesday night as Canadian voters entrusted the prime minister with the levers of government in tough economic times - but not a blank cheque.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 06:11 AM
link   
So with 147 seats it is not a blank check but what does this mean for Canada? How hard is it to sway 21 people vote with the Conservative budget? Sure he is still a Minority but is his minority still toothless or do the newly gain seats spell significant trouble for the other 3 parties and Canada as a whole?

ca.news.yahoo.com

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Yeh, I'm from Canada. .. and I sense we're all going to hell now.. I loathe Harper.

Whatever, .. I'm starting to give up on this planet... people are stupid.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by PuRe EnErGy

What about Duceepe? My wife tells me that it is his fault Harper was not removed from power but during this last election I see he sided against the conservatives.

How does he still hold a PM seat if he supported Harper even once? Did he run un-opposed or something, for head of the BQ?

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 12:25 PM
link   
OK canuks I was expecting more of a response.... I thought yall hated harper.. I mean When I see yall mention his name their is normally some negative words before or after his name... Yall can't tell me yall are happy won and that the conservatives gained some seats can yall?

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Harper in again as prime minister? Didn't surprise me at all. I guess when he called the election he knew what he was doing.
Even here, in my area, what had once been Liberal red turned to Conservative blue.
And titorite, whatever leader had gotten in, we would have hated him. If Stephane Dion had won, we would have waited to see what he would do, at least until he screwed up the country, like all politicians.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 02:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by titorite

So with 147 seats it is not a blank check but what does this mean for Canada? How hard is it to sway 21 people vote with the Conservative budget? Sure he is still a Minority but is his minority still toothless or do the newly gain seats spell significant trouble for the other 3 parties and Canada as a whole?

ca.news.yahoo.com

What it means is that with the increased number of seats for the Conservatives, it will take all three of the opposition parties that hold seats to defeat them on a confidence matter. With the last mandate it could have been done with two. Couple that with the fact that we have had five elections in the last ten years, and add on the fact that two of the opposition parties three if you count the greens, are broke, and we have the makings of a stable government for at least two or three years because there is no way the opposition will be willing to bring the house down.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by titorite
OK canuks I was expecting more of a response.... I thought yall hated harper.. I mean When I see yall mention his name their is normally some negative words before or after his name... Yall can't tell me yall are happy won and that the conservatives gained some seats can yall?

Harper is disliked by some because he has been painted as evil for years by the Liberals, and they did an effective job of it. The Liberals were got red handed stealing hundreds of millions of taxpayer dollars, lost billions to mismanaged social programs, yet stayed popular because the other choice was the devil. The Liberals are now on their way down, and will need a complete rebuild of their party before they are ready to govern again. And, although many here are loathe to admit it, Harper has done a very good job in a very tough situation so far.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by bronco73

Others think he has aligned our foreign policy with that of the US and otherwise coasted on the financial soundness left to him by the previous government. (On a related tangent, it's curious that he made reference to the bible several times throughout the campaign, and, of course, the vast majority are not interested in having religion mentioned at all.)

We'll be broke before long, as the finance minister destroyed Ontario when he was in the provincial government.

top topics

join