It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No Sports on Sunday! says the Pope

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2004 @ 11:27 AM
link   
(didn't know where to put this, religion, bts, or here, so mods feel free to move it)

Sorry Americans, forget Sunday football and baseball, forget minor league softball and soccer, the Pope says you shouldn't be playing sports or actually partake in any entertainment on Sunday!!! Does that mean that all who previously partaked in such events are damned?

Pope says Sundays for God, not sports
VATICAN CITY (Reuters) - Pope John Paul says Sunday should be a day for God, not for secular diversions like entertainment and sports.

"When Sunday loses its fundamental meaning and becomes subordinate to a secular concept of 'weekend' dominated by such things as entertainment and sport, people stay locked within a horizon so narrow that they can no longer see the heavens," the pontiff said in a speech to Australian bishops.

John Paul criticised the "culture of the 'here and now'", urging Church leaders to "lead men and women from the shadows of moral confusion and ambiguous thinking".

The 83-year-old pope also encouraged Christians, especially young people, to remain faithful to Sunday Mass, saying the secular culture was undermining family life.

posted on Mar, 26 2004 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Fagetaboutit. Now I know why I'm not Catholic. I was saving myself from converting after reading this. No football on Sunday, HA! Even during my religious days Sun. had football after church.

posted on Mar, 28 2004 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I don't think the Pope is talking about a few neighborhood kids getting together and having a fun game of baseball or basketball. That is sport.

The mega dollar professional spectacles in the big arenas are pure business and gambling. It is a moneymaking enterprise for all concerned. That is not sport.

posted on Mar, 28 2004 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Give me a break... rather your playing in the neighborhood or in front of 70,000 people it's still a sport.

"Sunday is a day for God" HA! What god is the Pope talking about?

This makes me recall an awesome thread someone posted a while ago, if someone will resurface it I would appreciate it because I forgot to add it to my favorites.

It had a whole bunch of crazy laws there is in the world and one of them is that the Pope can abolish any law in the United States.

posted on Mar, 28 2004 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
VATICAN CITY (Reuters) - Pope John Paul says Sunday should be a day for God, not for secular diversions like entertainment and sports.

pppfffffftttttt!!! Like anyone actually gives a rat's ass what the pope thinks. OMG IM Going to hell if I watch a GAME on SUNDAY!!! What a bunch of bull$hit.

posted on Mar, 28 2004 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I know the NFL will play on sunday. Your crazy to thank other wise. SCREW the pope, he dont run # here. Bret Farve got in trouble for putting god first. The NFL make to much money sorry.

posted on Mar, 28 2004 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illmatic67
This makes me recall an awesome thread someone posted a while ago, if someone will resurface it I would appreciate it because I forgot to add it to my favorites.

It had a whole bunch of crazy laws there is in the world and one of them is that the Pope can abolish any law in the United States.

I, too, hope someone brings up that thread.
I think that may be refering to the fact that the King of England (maybe George the something) signed a perpetual lease with the Vatican, and we are really owned by the Vatican. I have no source, but it something like that. I would appreciate if someone has better luck or memory on this!

posted on Mar, 28 2004 @ 06:07 PM
link   
I really dont give a # what the pope thinks. Neither do lots of other people. I think there should be no church on sunday

posted on Mar, 28 2004 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by ilovepizza
I really dont give a # what the pope thinks. Neither do lots of other people. I think there should be no church on sunday

The whole concept of "church" is bull$hit in the first place. You dont need a "church" to speak to god. You can talk to him whenever you want. The church was an institution created to extort money from people.

posted on Mar, 28 2004 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ocelot
The whole concept of "church" is bull$hit in the first place. You dont need a "church" to speak to god. You can talk to him whenever you want.

You sound like my husband

The church was an institution created to extort money from people.

And control the population in various ways: guilt, fear, birth control, laws.

posted on Mar, 28 2004 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
You sound like my husband

Then Your husband is a very smart man.

posted on Mar, 28 2004 @ 06:41 PM
link   
The whole point of the Pope's statement is that Sunday sports cost the church MONEY.

If you're not going to church, you aren't putting into the collecting jar and that's a big problem for an organisation which relies on cash.

I reckon he hasn't read his Bible properly either. Jesus said that the Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath. Then he went off and partook in his favourite hobby of healing lepers and casting out demons. OK, maybe not a sport but he definitely wasn't going to church.

I'll bet if a few of the San Franscio 49ers healed a few lepers in the crowd at Candlestick Park, the Pope would still have a problem due to his cash-flow shortages.

Sometimes you just can't win.

[Edited on 28-3-2004 by Leveller]

posted on Mar, 28 2004 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Leveller
I'll bet if a few of the San Franscio 49ers healed a few lepers in the crowd at Candlestick Park, the Pope would still have a problem due to his cash-flow shortages.

LMAO!!

So True. They need people in the churches, and not in the ballpark. They NEED money!!

posted on Mar, 28 2004 @ 06:44 PM
link   
I'm seeing the foresahdowing of an implimentation of a "Sabbath Law" here.

Seems them Seventh-Day Adventist were right after-all.

seekerof

posted on Mar, 28 2004 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof

I can't see that happening. Money talks. There's more money to be made and generation for the economy out of Sunday Sports. The government would not only be annoying a lot of people but would be turning down massive revenue.

You also have to look at Sunday sports in another historical light - they keep the masses happy and occupied. Just as the gladiators did so at the Colluseum (sp?) in Roman times.

posted on Mar, 28 2004 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Leveller

I can't see that happening. Money talks. There's more money to be made and generation for the economy out of Sunday Sports. The government would not only be annoying a lot of people but would be turning down massive revenue.

I can't see that happening today either. Let's just hope we can make the same statements 5-10, 20 years from now.
Things can change so quickly, in almost an instant...think WTC on 9/11. One or two well-places catastrophies would dramatically change people's mindset.

posted on Mar, 28 2004 @ 07:05 PM
link   

seekerof

Its funny you should mention "Seventh-Day". The fact that the Pope speaks out against anything that happens on Sunday is completely ill-logical. [I]SUNDAY IS NOT THE SEVENTH DAY.[/I] Saturday is.

posted on Mar, 28 2004 @ 07:12 PM
link   
True Cappa. I don't think that the government will ever screw with our sports, the revenue aside, if everyone started to talk politics rather than if the Niners will make the playoffs next year they may lose control.

posted on Apr, 1 2004 @ 12:50 AM
link   
The Pope may say or do whatever it is about Sunday, but it matters not to me and obviously Im not alone on that issue. There will be NFL games on Sunday, and you know where the Pope can go, probably halway there already!

posted on Apr, 1 2004 @ 04:21 AM
link   
the bible says that you shall do no regular work on the sabbath.

im not sure sports qualifies as regular work unless you a pro athelete. even then that seems less like work to me.

it also says not to do any work every 7th year

top topics

join