It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you ready to give up on 2012, and other prophecy?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 05:08 PM
link   
OK,

One is a "average Human"(blossom) and the other is Set in stone by a awesome civilization(Mayan).....

I say prepare for the worst and hope for the best, this way if it does happen then at least we have tried to our own abilities to be prepared and if it doesn't then at least one can only hope it makes us a better person and to keep an open mind.

My 5 cents

and no i am not ready to give up on the 2012 prophecy..

[edit on 16/10/08 by chiplak]

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Who really knows what the Mayans meant with their calendar. They could have just run out of rock!

Actually, we have a pretty good idea about what the Mayans "meant" with their calendar.

A calendar tracks the cycles of the celestial bodies. The Earth rotates around the sun; one of these cycles is called a 'day'. The moon goes through phases; this is where we get our month from. The time it takes for the sun to rise at the same point on the horizon is 1 year, when the sun returns to the same place it arose from 1 year ago. These are cycles we are familiar with, because our calendar tracks these cycles ( months not so accurate these days, though ).

However, other calendars track cycles of other things. The sun also moves from one astrological sign ( or "house" ). Just as the sun returning to the same rising point on the horizon is called a "year", the sun moving from House to House is called an "age". Our calendar doesn't really track this; we decided to use base 10 and talk about centuries.

There are 12 houses in the sky ( 12 signs in the zodiac ). The sun moves from sign to sign, and as you can extrapolate, after 12 movements, it will have completed a cycle in the houses of the zodiac. This is called the Great Year, and it takes about 26,000 years to complete.

So, what's so special about 2012 in the Mayan calendar? Why does it end there? Well, first, notice that it's a circle. That means that the calendar also *starts* there. A calendar is a measure of *cycles*. Just as the old year ends and the new year begins at the same time, the Great Year begins and ends at the same time.

So, to answer our original question, what happens at 2012? Well, the old Great Year ends, and the new one begins. Folks, it's a cycle. 26,000 years if the life cycle of a sun, according to the Maya.

OK, but why did the Maya pick *that* time? To answer that, you have to look at Mayan mythology. Mayan mythology tells that the Father Sun was born of the Dark Mother, the Milky Way. He was born there, right in the dark center of the Milky Way ( where some astronomers suspect a black hole exists, right in the heart of our galaxy ) , and that's where he began his journey around the zodiac.

Our current sun is quite old -- in fact, he's only got four years left! When he finally makes his way back round to the dark, chewy, chocolaty center of the milky way, there he will die in the loving arms of his mother, and a new sun will be born, and begin his own journey through the houses of the zodiac.

So what did the Maya "mean" with their calendar? Well, they were just keeping track of the cycles of the celestial spheres. They knew from mythology that the sun was born in the center of the Milky Way, so they just clocked the journey back to figure when he was in the center, and put the start there.

Just as day and night affect life and society on earth, as do the months and the years, so too did the Maya believe that the Ages and the Great Years affected life on earth and society. It's not too much of a stretch to witness the workings of animals and people function according to the cycles of night and day and the seasons to therefore extrapolate that the Ages and the Great Years would have similar effects. All it means is that as the New Age ( Aquarius) approaches, and we usher in a New Great Year, society and life on earth will change accordingly.

[edit on 16-10-2008 by amaxa]

[edit on 16-10-2008 by amaxa]

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by droid56

I think is going to chance sth
I dont know exactly what????....
But I would like to be optimist
2012 time of changes??
I hope so...good changes The world is really sick,we need a cure soon

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 08:23 PM
link   
This might be offensive, but Christians are so sure about their faith (which is hilarious when you look up the meaning of the word 'Faith' ) that it probably won't matter.

For years, Christianity has been used to manipulate and enslave the minds of gullible beings. Medieval times, anyone?

The best Christians are the ones that preach peace and brotherhood, not the ones that shove their religious fiction book down other people's throats and tell them they're wrong.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 09:15 PM
link   
@Zion

Then you should learn about how the bible predicted the great future empires in the book of Daniel, a long before they came to power. The Romans, The Persians among a few.

Actually the "Bible" was rewritten by the Romans themselves, which is nowadays a reasonable accepted thing.
Also was it rewritten by lots of popes and not to forget Martin Luther who first transleted it into another language than latin. At this time, Luther did that, "the God" was actually "the Gods". It was completely rearranged in the middle age.

There are literally hundreds of predictions that the Bible has made that has already come to pass.

Of course there are, because "predictions" are not very hard to make if you claim to know, that a flood will come or someone will win the lottery in the next 100 years. Actually this book just fits into your horizon of intolerance, dogma and self fulfilling prophecies.

One of the biggest is when Israel became a nation after close to or almost 1700 years or something like that. This became a reality in 1967. Why is that significant? It is significant because the next stage of bible prophecy, revelations deal with the end times that take place soon after Israel becomes a nation again.

How come something creates men in 7 days and will take 620,500 days that these men became a nation? This only seems to be simple fantasy. I could have also predicted 2000 years ago that the mexican gulf might be populated and will be a country in 1967.
This is self fulfilling prophecy. Naming a country after a book and than claiming it was a prophecy by naming it this way, is simply rubbish.

The end is right at the door. Just look at the headlines and the news. The New World Order is about to come into being and the Anti-Christ is itching to ascend it.

There is no antichrist as there is and never was a christ. All there was were humans (and maybe others) that were setting the stages up for some stupid sheeps to follow them in whatever it may be. 500 years ago they did the most, now only some few do, in the next 500 years civilizations will know that human life is not based on human made books and even further from that, we may be all one in one peaceful universe.

Also the idea that "someone" creates the universe in the know, only this small piece here will represent his image and will never be aware of what is beyond our sun system is somewhat silly.

I wonder what happens if we all kill ourselves in nuclear destruction and some 5000 years ago some new civilization recovers some pages of a Stephen King book. We have to feel sorry for that people and their new saviour.

[edit on 16-10-2008 by uffty]

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 09:56 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 10:03 PM
link   
I am of the belief that the end of the long count calendar is just another end of a cycle as others have stated. I did read somewhere that this will also coincide with an allignment of the sun with the plane of the milky way. Has anyone else heard this?

As far as it being the end of the world or anything of that nature, I don't think so. It is just another cycle. I will be curious to see if the cycle does bring about some kind of environmental change however. Ice ages are also shown to be cyclical. Who is to say that this may not have some environmental significance that we have not yet discovered?

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Well the only practical way to demonstrate relative truth/untruth in the actual predictive ability of a system is to go out on the proverbial limb,repeatedly, with enough correct calls to eventually dissolve reasonable skepticism.I know my favorite system,Terrence McKenna's Timewave Zero(TWZ), could be called vague as it doesn't say what will happen,just when to expect aspects of (currently)consciousness of events to strengthen and weaken.Really accurate time references,not fuzzy at all.That said,this steady slide will take an abrupt deviation on Dec 12.None of you skeptics have ever gotten a highly accurate I CHING reading,I know,as one of those stops one's certain skepticism cold.Learning to doubt one's own certain assumptions is a good thing.
So what do I have to sell?My motivation?I already have plenty of business,I do like to be vindicated after being the tin foil hatter for so long I suppose.What most appeals about this is the serindipity of the Calandar Stone and this system both ending on the same day and soon.How the Codex had not been translated until after Mr McKenna had gotten his answer mathematized.If that bit of timing had been reversed,suspicion could be cast upon his efforts.I only have to make it to 52 years old and that don't seem too much to hope for.I have been staring at this fractal mountain for years,so freely call me fixated and nutso.I was the first to actually mention the 8th,not my prediction,just interpretation,and TWZ is pretty clear by itself.After years seeing the I CHING get it astoundingly right time and again,I do have a credulity aspect most Christers/Backsliders lack after being told this and that but never shown any actual facts or precise statements about actual,observable events,in their own lives.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 11:33 PM
link   
I really don't think that most Christians take Revelations literally. The Rapture is a metaphor for awakening; it is meant to infuse you with the knowledge of God's gift to you, not to damn others. Be appreciative that you know the love of Jesus.

reply to post by ZionOmega

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Stupid thread, but great replies. I, personally, have done enough research to realize we are in a constant state of change and we are nearing a zero point. Technology, spirituality, etc....it's all going to change, it's up to us which direction it will go.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 01:15 AM
link   
2012 is in 1526 days
a whole lot can happen in that span of time.

all it takes is one nuclear war to end it for 90% of us on earth. IT can happen anytime anywhere at a moments notice and you probably would never know untill the shockwave vaporizes your house.

Theres all this talk about attacking Iran and Irans nuclear program and Russia seems in an aggressive mood lately. The risks have only increased.

all this happens under the strain of climate change and peak oil. Changes in temperature and precipitation are having a brutal affect on the ecosystem. I read that 30% of life in the ocean is gone. Theres a 6 to one ratio of plastic vs plankton in the ocean. Theres massive deadzones where polluted rivers meet the ocean. Coral reefs are dying off. It's bad.

Serious droughts, hurricanes, fires and other factors are wiping out food crops. Its been an especially bad year in the USA with IKE laying a huge path of destruction on our farmlands. Massive flooding wipes out massive tracts of land.

We have to worry about war, famine, pestilence and death. the 4 horsemen are upon us. You don't need to be a religious fanatic to see the signs of the times.

I can just about guarantee that life as you know it will NOT remain the same as it ever was.

the world isn't going to vanish on Dec. 31st 2012 but our way of life as we have lived it for decades is going to end. What replaces it will be something new and different. Probably a harsher more brutal life is in store for us.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZionOmega

Originally posted by md11forever

Then before you start descrediting the predictions in the bible, maybe you should actually do some research into how accurate the bible has been in its predictions?

100%

Maybe that'll open your eyes a bit?

Been there done that. Read it cover to cover. Eight years of private religious school.
Hey, if the bible proves to be right, I'll be happy to admit I was wrong.

[edit on 15-10-2008 by md11forever]

Just wait a couple of months. I think you will be very surprised at how things are right now coming to perfect alignment with the one government the anti-christ is to rule. It isn't long now .... the events described in revelations are right at the door. Jesus knocks, will you let Him in before its too late?

So if nothing happens in a couple of months time (we'll stretch it to 6 to give you some leeway) you will post here an apology for misleading posts and state categorically that you no longer believe in those incorrect predictions?

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties
reply to post by ZionOmega

ZionOmega could you please provide some evidence of these 'bible predictions' have come true? Anything? A link perhaps?

You have made a claim that 100% of 'bible predictions' have come true and, as yet, have not provided a single scrap of evidence. The onus is on YOU to provide this or we will be forced to come to the conclusion that this thread is false and your claim is untrue.

PS: Saying "I don't need to provide evidence it is self-evident" is a cop-out.

Again the internet is a VAST archive of knowledge. One just needs to go to google these words: "Bible Prophecies that have come true" and you will have TONS of search hits.

I don't really need to provide any "links" when you have all the internet and all the evidence thereof. Just search and read.

It would take you literally seconds to provide one example here. You haven't because there isn't any.

Saying the internet is a vast archive is exactly the same as saying the evidence is self-evident. COP-OUT.

That's the problem with the truth and evidence if people can't provide it they hide behind evasion. The last thing they are capable of saying is : "I was wrong", it goes against their beliefs!

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 03:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tgautier13

1.Really? How is your life harder now after reading text on a message board, or listening to a clearly delusional person speak? Why do you get worked up over feelings of another person that you don't have control of?

2.2012 was never a doomsday scenario. It is a shift in consciousness. The Mayan Calendar, the I Ching, and independent MODERN scientific research all individually point to this date as being significant in this history of mankind.

I am only going to reply to this part of your post, the rest i find total BS and not substantial. I have labeled them 1 and 2 and address each one separately.

1. Very simple, I am human. I have feelings. I am sensitive. Seeing how the church treats some people makes me worry. Since when is it wrong to care for other people? Even people that you have never met? If i see something that is in my eyes a total backwards way to live than i, like lots of people, form an opinion. Why i get worked is simple. People get worked up about things they cant control
. I at this moment do not have the power to change the way those people live.

2. Why?? what changes will occur? Give me something interesting to read. And if its some Nibiru thing don't bother.
Has it ever occurred to you that the Mayans thought it was weird to have a calender that would go on for ever? To my knowledge the I Ching does not mention anything about 2012. If i am wrong feel free to point it out. Again that book is pretty old, 2000+BC.
Why do people trust everything that is ancient?
If you can not seriously reply to my post do not worry, i will not ignore you. You Would just get a silly reply.

Cheers.

*edited for spelling and grammar*

[edit on 17-10-2008 by Sfen Senterra]

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Im getting used to the notion that Goodchild was placed as a hoaxer only to make it harder for humans to accept the arrival of the actual 'Visitors.'

Some idiots at google might have planned it all out as well.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 05:04 AM
link   
Comparing 2012 to other prophecies like the ones of Bloosom Goodchild and "Y2K" Is like comparing a atom bomb to a fire cracker. Never before has a prophecy came with so much backing evidence from scientific, political, and spiritual backgrounds. We can ALL feel something is near.
The sun will be entering a new cycle, and I hope the human mind will be as well.

Also I have a question about this: If you were to read about 2012 five or six years ago the end was said to be the 25th. Now it has changed to the 12th with in the past year or so.... 12-12-2012. What has inspired this change?

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 05:29 AM
link   
I figure sometime in 2013 I will give up on the 2012 prophecy, and then I will look for a new prophecy. Everyone needs a hobby.

If the rapture happens, so few people are supposed to go on to the next level, no one will notice. I guess if the dead rise up out of history, that might raise some eyebrows.

So is there someplace online to view Terrence McKenna's Timewave Zero(TWZ) predictions that are so accurate? Can you list a few of these predictions that have came true?

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

TWZ does not predict events.There are not arcane code like utterances which can get mapped onto events and proclaimed as truth by those with some insider interpretive ability.It is a graph with a timeline along the X axis and intensity on the Y axis.The line on the graph is fractal.If you magnify any point on the line,eventually,the pattern of the whole appears and repeats itself.This is a form of resonance,as factors influencing the line apply on both scales.For example the resonance of these days is the time right before the revolutions in France and former British colony south of Canada.Not doomsday at all.Now as to your query about what predictions?TWZ showed a steep decline starting precisely on Oct 7,with a very smooth ride through Oct 14.This matched up well with the Stock Market plunge on that very day and also the UFO no show,both of which I called out on ATS beforehand.There are plenty of threads on this topic.Want more?

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 06:33 AM
link   
There is one thing consistence about prophets and their prophesying is that they are consistently wrong

Guess work at best

Alan

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 07:11 AM
link   
@uffty

I must agree with you completely.

Now my $.02

I will go out on a limb here and state that I feel religion has no place in these forums (conspiracy). To me it seems to just add more ignorance into the mix, especially when the person trying to "push" the religious end does not even have the correct information on their own religion. When discussing conspiracy theories people usually like to go off of known facts to try to find the true answer, not unproven folklore. Christianity is one of the most (if not the most) re-written religions there is. Please people research this and you'll be amazed at the things you didn't know. Now, if you practice some form of religion that's cool but please don't try to pass scripture off as being the answer to real modern day issues. It always seems like its the "Easy way out answer" i.e. AND THEN THERE WAS LIGHT.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join