It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you ready to give up on 2012, and other prophecy?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by whiteraven

I was attempting to point out that there is no rapture. It's made up by men.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by logicalview

I apologize. For some reason I thought you were perpetuating the rapture. Again, very sorry.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by 3thieves

No need to apologize to me 3thieves, my post was aimed directly to gormly!

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Well many experrts now are saying the R word, resession.. globally.. and as you can plainly see it is happening.. is that a dooms day profphecy.. for some it may very well be.

I for one would think a visit as predicted by Goodchild would be a good thing not apocalypse..

I'm a preparedness person, i have lots of stockpiles and i say bring whatever happens on , I'm far better prepared than the average person.

However do i think that in 2012 the world will end .. no, it will still be here just like it has been for millions of years before.

Honestly if you want doom and gloom, think of this, we have enough nukes on this planet to basically eliminate ourselves from the equation at any given moment, Or at any given time we could be hit by a asteroid..

However I do enjoy the webbots and other predictions, just for the "well lets see what happens", kind of the fun factor of it all.. I really enjoyed following the 280 plus pages of the Goodchild thread , lots of great humor and drama in there , kind of like a soap opera, Did I really think a UFO would be spotted on her que.. not really , but if it had .. that would be cool to be in on the ground floor of that one

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 10:04 AM
link   
The calendar on my wall finishes on December 31st! Does this mean there will be a global catastrophe? Nope! And my feelings on the Mayan Calendar are the same.

People try to inject meaning into the smallest thing, in the same way someone can see the face of jesus on a piece of toast. It's what humans do!

The only thing that's accurate about 2012 is that by the time it clicks over, thousands of dollars will have been earned by authors of 2012 books.

I'm not cynical, I'm realistic!

IRM

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 11:03 AM
link   
The quicker you come to this realization the better off you will be and can move on with your life. ONLY WE CAN SAVE OURSELVES!!! Their is nothing coming down from the sky, up from the earth, from a distant galaxy, etc. to save us.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by edgecrusher2199

And............? So.............?

I'm sorry what's meant to be coming out of the sky or up from the earth????????????????????

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Ok, you need to understand how the calender works. It doesn't just end and go WOMP WOMP TIME FOR NEW YEARZ; it's the end of a cycle. It all about how the calender works, there are a certain amount of cycles in the entirety of earth's existance and that day is the end of one. I don't remember exactly if it's the end of the last one or the begning of the last one.

It can be worked out mathematically and if you know how that calender works it becomes obvious that it wasn't a WE GOT LAZY scenario. That's simply ignorant and you need to do your research.

As I've said before 2012 probably wont be significant to us at all for various reasons.

also about scientific things

Like most experts in the field, Hathaway has confidence in the conveyor belt model and agrees with Dikpati that the next solar maximum should be a doozy. But he disagrees with one point. Dikpati's forecast puts Solar Max at 2012.

science.nasa.gov...

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I don't recall ever believing in any prophecy. Even when 100 saints supposedly said the same thing. They never occur. They're never exact. Every generation is sure that their time is the time of prophecy fulfillment.
Even in catholic grade school, I remember thinking that it's all nonsense.
I visited a small Greek Island where the Revelations was supposedly written. The guide said how the writer never ate and refused food from the Islanders. Later she pointed out the cave he lived in and as an aside, warned us not to eat the mushrooms located around the cave because they were hallucinogenic! Put 2 & 2 together and see what you get.

Why people take such great pleasure thinking that their world is going to end is beyond me.

There is no afterlife. This is the only life you get. When you're gone, you're gone. Enjoy it while you have it.

I do believe though, that if ETs are going to contact us, it won't be until the 'god gene' is bred out of us.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by droid56
Blossom has failed, as has other apocalyptic prophecy over the past 2 decades.

I beg to differ, one example is Nostradamus, he predicted one event that actually happened, that twins would fall, these proved to be the World Trade Centers.

Are you ready to give up predictions involving 2012?

I certainly am not, and I don't think many people who believe in a brighter future are about to either. We have our hearts set on changing this world for the better.

What will it take for you to give up these ideas?

Nothing that is said or done can make us give up our beliefs, they are 'our' beliefs, we don't ask the same question regarding your beliefs, because a majority of us don't believe in judging others unfairly.

This reality we live in isn't going to change.

On the contrary, it already has, if our reality wont change, then how come our society has evolved over the millenia? If it was forever constant, then there'd actually be nothing to look at right now. We'd probably just be able to think, and not act - this would cause this civilisation to collapse in an instant.

Society needs radicals, society needs people who do not conform to its' rules. Reality always changes, it may not seem like it, but it does, how can you say that reality will never change? For you it may not have, but that is your own belief, but global society in general is still living in the Dark Ages. A minority of those who rule the world still have a medieval attitude to how things should be run, they still have the primitive mindset that keeps us locked up in spiritual stagnation.
Those in power fear those who are not, they fear that society may become aware over the power they truly possess, hence they wish to exhert more control over the lives of those who voted them. This is exactly the situation we are living in now, and the one we will be living for a very long time if we don't wake up to the bigger picture.

Every day, people in this world cry out for help to an external source that seems so distant to them, they cry out for the pain to be healed. Yet there is no answer, and then, as if by divine plan, a ray of hope is shone across the globe. This was the prophecised 14th October alien visitation, a prophecy that brought hope to millions across the world, and belief that their prayers were finally answered.

It passed with nothing appearing over the skies of our world, turning the hopes of millions into instant despair. At the same time, millions of skeptics began to rip apart the believers, ripping them apart for believing in such "fairy tales". Oh, how they love to come out of the woodwork when something good doesn't arrive.

I admit it could have been a scam, a hoax, but at the same time, for once in your lives, couldn't you open your minds a little bit to allow such a concept to form in your mind? Just enough to let in the infinite possibility the Universe possesses.

For once, couldn't the skeptics out their not scrutinize, bash, flame, or cause emotional & psychological harm to those who believe in something greater?

Can't we stand together/united as brothers & sisters of the human race for once?

Can't we set a-side the differences between us to bring about a greater world, a world where we can live the lives of our dreams, and without fear?

Can't we love each other for who we are inside, rather than who we claim to be?

Let's forget about aliens or divine intervention for a moment, and focus on the potential of the human race as a species. The whole is greater than the sum of its' parts, which necessarily means that if we are united, and think in one mind, one heart, and one soul - anything is possible.

Do not judge your brothers or sisters, lest you be judged yourself.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 12:39 PM
link   
the 2012 thing will probably give me anxiety once the year is coming to an end.. but I am not the one that will say "THIS IS OUR LAST YEAR!"
just admitting that there will be something in the back of my mind that will surface every so often throughout the year

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I just wanted to add my two cents, for what they are worth...one Bible prediction that did come true (oh...before I go on, I have my MS in religious studies) was that the destruction of Jerusalem (as a city) would be within one generation from the time from which Jesus was speaking. Luke 19:43,44 says: "For the days will come upon you when your (Jerusalem - because He was speaking to the Jews) enemies will build an embankment around you, surround you and close you in on every side, and level you, and your children within you, to the ground" later in Luke we read, "But when you see Jerusalem surrounded by armies, then know that its (Jerusalem) desolation is near." (Luke 21:20) Jesus said in Matthew 24:34, "Truly I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place.

Now when Jesus was speaking, there was no imminent threat to Jerusalem. In A.D. 70, as Jesus had predicted, the city of Jerusalem was surrounded and destroyed by Titus - the Roman. The Temple in Jerusalem was also deestroyed during this year, as predicted in Matthew 24:1,2) "Then Jesus went out and departed from the temple, and his disciples came to him and show Him the buildings of the temple. And Jesus said to them, 'Do you not see all these things? Assuredly, I say to you, not one stone shall be left here upon another, that shall not be thrown down'."

The people of Jerusalem were then scattered after the destruction of the temple, as predicted by Jesus in Luke 21:24. Jerusalem was then ruled by gentiles (non Jews) until Israel became a state again after WWII. Tihs was predicted in Luke 23:28-30.

Some more fulfillments:

Zecharriah 9, "Rejoice greatly, O daughter of Zion (Jerusalem); shout, O daughter of Jerusalem: behold your King comes unto thee: he is just, and having salvation; lowly, and riding upon a donkey, and upon a colt the foal of an ass (donkey)."

this was fulfilled in...Luke 19 - "And they brought him (the donkey) to Jesus: and they cast their garments upon the colt, and they set Jesus thereon."

And some more to research for yourself:

www.jesusanswers.com...

And one more

Daniel's Prophecy of the 70 Weeks (Daniel 9:24-27)

www.redmoonrising.com...

This is very lengthly and well written commentary on this prophecy which shows that Daniel the prophet of the Old Testament predicted, to the exact day, when Jesus would enter Jerusalem and be declared as King. That scripture goes from the decree (445 BC), the entrance of Christ as King (32AD) as Messiah, the destruction of the temple, the last great war, and the end.

www.lastdaysmystery.info...

There aren't enough characters to go into a study on that particular scripture, but you can research "Daniel's Seventy Sevens prophecy" and should give you a good, broad study. Oh...by the way...The Dead Sea Scroll discoveries included the Book of Daniel, and those scrolls have been determined to have been written at least 200 years before the birth of Christ. So, there's some archelogical evidence for you.

Hope that has given some more information for those who were seeking. I also recommend the book "The Case for Christ" by Lee Strobel.

Kind regards,

LongingForGrace

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Barathrum
i really don't put too much into prophecy, such as the 2012 thing

to me it doesn't mean the world is going to end because that's when their calendar does.

sort of makes me wonder if, were it carved in stone, in a few thousand years the civilization on earth would be in a tizzy over what turned out to be some homework i didn't finish in the 8th grade.

every generation thinks that they are the first to experience the weight of the world and the last to exist on this planet.

This poster,

this quotation speaks for me also

every generation thinks that they are the first to experience the weight of the world and the last to exist on this planet

it's the ego, isn't it ?

Guess people have forgotten all those who walked the streets wearing sandwich boards warning 'The End is Nigh'

and they were doing it in the year 1000 AD, just as they do today

just as they did in 2000

and as they will in 3000

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by unbound_human
Can't we stand together/united as brothers & sisters of the human race for once?

I'd like to hope so, but by our own means. Not under a banner of intervention. There is nothing to make anyone believe that the human race isn't capable on its own. Mostly the reason I get from skeptics who seem to oppose peaceful coexistence as a rule is simply that man "can't" because we haven't thus far. This is foolishness of the highest magnitude. What stops us is not any alien force, only our unwillingness to believe it is possible, and neither should it be what propels us.

I'm not opposing your ideas, only the means through which they're expected to be achieved. Prophecy divides us. It does not unify us. That is the trap of subjectivity.

Really, if it could be 100% scientifically proven that the world would end in three days, do you really think the effect would be pleasant?

edit: My apologies if I sound overly critical, but I'd like to believe that yesterdays failure to materialize even something slightly compelling will prove to all of us that we are our only hope.

[edit on 15-10-2008 by TravelerintheDark]

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by droid56

There will always be people willing to be massively illogical in their ability to be informed. They'll clutch at straws, thinking they've found some super-secret information, then spread it to other gullible people.

Just look at Nostradamus. People keep buying all those nonsense books about his gibberings. It's ridiculous.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Hello all - I am relatively new here - been lurking for awhile, and posted anon. on another post on this thread...so I thought I'd just join. Hope ya'll are friendly

In regards to the rapture...I can certainly understand the critics saying that there is no rapture in the Bible. And while I agree that the term rapture isn't in the Bible, the event (more important than the word) is certainly there. 1 Thessalonians 4:14-19, 1 Corinthians 15:51-54 and in Daniel 12:2,3.

1 Cor. 15:51-54 - "Listen, I tell you a mystery: We will not all sleep, but we will all be changed - in a flash, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will eb changed. For the perishable must clothe itself with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality. When the perishable has been cloth with the imperishable, and the mortal with immorality, then the saying that is written will come true: "Death has been swallowed up in victory."

Daniel 12: "At that time, Michael, the great prince who protects your people, will arise. There will be a time of distress such as not happened from the beginning of nations until then. But at that time your people - everyone whose name is found written in the book - will be delivered. Multitudes who sleep in the dust of the earth will awake: some to everylasting life, others to shame and everlasting contempt."

Then there is Matthew 24:30-36, Matthew 24:40-41, John 14:1-3, Acts 1:9-11, Philippians 3:20-21 and 2:Thessalonians 2:1-12.

Im not going to get into a theological conversation here or argue about who is right or who is wrong. I'm just providing some scripture from the Bible.

I'm not forcing you to believe what I'm saying...just putting in my two cents from the side of the camp that I stand on. If you wish to discuss anything like this with me further, feel free to do so

Kind regards,
Grace

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by LongingForGrace

' ... everyone whose name is written in the book ... '
?

Care to explain?

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by TravelerintheDark
edit: My apologies if I sound overly critical, but I'd like to believe that yesterdays failure to materialize even something slightly compelling will prove to all of us that we are our only hope.
[edit on 15-10-2008 by TravelerintheDark]

Precisely, we are our only hope, I was hoping to see something, but then it comes to mind that we are our own saviours, saviours who have not come to the realisation of who they truly are.

I personally can see a day where it does happen, where man stands united, I believe in my heart that it can be achieved.

edit: I know it sounds like I'm wearing rose-tinted glasses to view the world, but I believe anything is possible, if we put our minds to it. Look at what we have achieved so far in the world, be it bad or good, every invention has come from the mind, it stems from the imagination into physicality.

If we have come so far in so little time, imagine what we could truly create in this world if we focus our thoughts on love, light, peace, and hope.

It only takes a small step in courage, and one giant leap in faith.

[edit on 15-10-2008 by unbound_human]

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by unbound_human

Nostradamus didn't predict squat. 'Two twins will fall'? Puh-leeeze. I've seen my twin cousins fall over a bunch, does that mean he predicted that, too? No - he said a bunch of random stuff, and it took hundreds of years before that could be interpreted as to mean the twin towers. Did we know the twin towers were going to be toppled through Nostradamus's writings? Nope - and that means it wasn't a prediction. A prediction is knowing of something happening before it happens, and Nostradamus certainly didn't know that.

He's a joke.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dock6
reply to post by LongingForGrace

' ... everyone whose name is written in the book ... '
?

Care to explain?

"the book" refers to the book of life...meaning, all of those who believe in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior....If you would like, I can provide some scriptural references to the book of life from both the OT and NT in the Bible.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join