It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Food shortages in Iceland as currency collapses

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vanitas

Surely they have (official) food reserves to last them more than just five weeks?
Every country has them.

And don't worry too much about them: they are resourceful people.
(How do you think they survived up there, in that rocky country, for so long?)

However, it goes without saying that everyone should help them, if need be.

[edit on 16-10-2008 by Vanitas]

Yeah plus Iceland chicks are hot.

I don't think that adds anything intellectually to the discussion, but if I was going to pick a place to starve to death... well, an igloo with a Scandinavian goddess and a gallon of cheap vodka doesn't sound too bad in today's world.

OK back to seriousness now...

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 08:11 PM
link   
We will be ok, even if everything goes horrible bad..there won't be any starvation here...we still have fishing boats, sheep, horses and geothermal energy...as long as that won't be taken away, well be ok...

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by emsed1

Icelanders don't live in igloos... our women rock, though.
On a side note, I read in the news about a council held by some MP's in a northern region around here, the usual condemnation of British actions in the matter of course were fired at mister Brown and Darling.
Furthermore, it was mentioned that it's apparently UK's turn to station jets here this December, a part of some NATO agreement or whatever. A statement followed that since the UK cannot be viewed as a friendly nation anymore, them stationing jets here would be considered wholly inappropriate and viewed as an insult.
I'd also like to answer an earlier poster here who drew the 70's Cod Wars kicking and screaming into this discussion: As usual Britain considered themselves in full right in that matter, seeing how Icelanders are nasty barbarians who only want Britain ill. We fought to establish a 200 nautical mile exclusion zone, enjoyed by all nations today, and rightly won the struggle against the intolerably pompous and arrogant UK.

Lastly, the Faroe Islands lent us the equivalent of about 40 million Euroes just days ago. Now there's a better sign of goodhearted and helpful spirit than I've seen from other so-called "allies" and "friends" I could mention. (In return Faroese students are being offered free education at our university, according to a statement.)

We will find a way out of the current crisis, it's only a matter of resourcefulness and determination and trust in real friends.
(Doesn't contribute much to the discussion on food shortage, but after reading through several thread pages on this forum, as an Icelander I couldn't resist the need to respond with a glimpse of how matters are seen from our perspective.)

<< 1   >>

join