It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anyone else hallucinate smells?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by lushyslushy
that must be an interesting day-today for for you.

For myself, it's something I've learned to live with and not to make too much out of if I can. I tend to notice it, remark to myself that it's interesting and move on, same with most of what I experience.

But I generally find it amusing. To be honest, I've always felt toyed with in such ways. Some things just seem to like to get my attention.

To asmeone2: White coat fever, I understand. For me, more like white coat derision

[edit on 15-10-2008 by TravelerintheDark]

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by TravelerintheDark

For myself, it's something I've learned to live with and not to make too much out of if I can. I tend to notice it, remark to myself that it's interesting and move on, same with most of what I experience.)

Hah, good way to put it Traveler.

I suppose since it's harder to prove that an olfactory hallucination isn't real-- you can get someoen else to tell you that no, there isn't anyone else in the room or speaking, but they'd concede at "maybe your sense of smell is just more sensative"--I suppose they don't get talked about as much. Except in the context of the recently deceased, which might not be a hallucination.

Mine personally I think are just my memory and subconscious playing tricks on me.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Just last night I awoke out of a deep sleep to the distinct smell of smoke/fire. I jumped out of bed and checked every room and even went outside to find the source. Nada. I stayed up for a half an hour, just waiting. I finally went back to bed, but I still felt uneasy. No way to explain it.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by asmeone2

Originally posted by TravelerintheDark

For myself, it's something I've learned to live with and not to make too much out of if I can. I tend to notice it, remark to myself that it's interesting and move on, same with most of what I experience.)

Hah, good way to put it Traveler.

I suppose since it's harder to prove that an olfactory hallucination isn't real-- you can get someoen else to tell you that no, there isn't anyone else in the room or speaking, but they'd concede at "maybe your sense of smell is just more sensative"--I suppose they don't get talked about as much. Except in the context of the recently deceased, which might not be a hallucination.

Mine personally I think are just my memory and subconscious playing tricks on me.

I wouldn't be surprised to find it's more common than most realize. I know my loved one has experienced it before as well. Not that it explains it though.

On the post last night, I mentioned the odor of flatulence, which has recently been somewhat common. My loved one denies obligation and I'd blame it on the cats, but they aren't always around.

I know it's absurd, but that's why I'm posting it. I'm laughing over here thinking about being haunted by a farting ghost

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Clark W. Griswold
Just last night I awoke out of a deep sleep to the distinct smell of smoke/fire. I jumped out of bed and checked every room and even went outside to find the source. Nada. I stayed up for a half an hour, just waiting. I finally went back to bed, but I still felt uneasy. No way to explain it.

Wow, I hope it isn't a premonition of some kind...

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

Many stroke victims report smelling things that aren’t there as well do brain cancer patients and some for weeks prior to an episode. Some forms of epilepsy may also induce olfactory hallucinations. It is one of our body’s warning systems and you must decide for yourself whether or not to ignore it.

My grandfather said he could smell burnt toast for about a week before his stroke and my great grandfather said he could smell burning oil, roses and brown mold before his final stroke.

Medically, it is generally a brain thing, although some advanced liver necrosis can produce some extra smells, but I don’t blame you for not wanting to see a doctor, I do not enjoy having to see them either, always with the bad news and expensive advice. No one likes that, but sometimes we should listen.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 12:41 PM
link   

double post due to "too quick to click"
Sorry

[edit on 10/15/2008 by eaganthorn]

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Well the reason I clicked into this thread was my 17 year old pointed to it. He told me he often senses "smells" that aren't there. He's very psi naturally, and has been since he was small.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 12:34 AM
link   
nothing i smell is ever without reason. i can smell a Mary Jane den from six miles away. i smoke too many cigarettes to be able to smell like any normal individual, but every morning i wake up and smell Flap jacks (pancakes) and NONE of my neghbors are ever making any.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 12:48 AM
link   

This is not so much a paranormal rather medical ( under mental illness)
I'm not trying to be a smart #*% I know that the schizophrenia the mental health service are running big educational ads here and one of the questions they ask are "do you smell things that don't exist" if you indeed smell things that are not there alot maybe you should atleast look into it as schizophrenia can rear its ugly head right up until your about 30 or so but most have an onset around their teens

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 12:53 AM
link   
i randomly smell cigarettes even though noone is smoking. and weed i always smell that.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vault-D
Heh, interesting...I guess we don't focus on them as much as auditory or visual because we have a weaker sense of smell?

One of my friends used to smoke pot quite a bit, and he'd sometimes get "phantom whiffs" of pot smoke (I mean, when he wasn't high).

As for me, I'd probably treat unexplained olfactory hallucinations like any other unexplained hallucination: it wouldn't take long before i'd have a doctor check it out. Not very spiritual of me, i suppose...

I also have that same thing, sometimes I'll be walking down the street or something and swear I smell pot, and then it's immediately gone.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I sometimes smell the sweetest roses, nothing like a real rose, the weird part about it is, it gives me de ja vu almost every time. Maybe it a lotus, dont know what they smell like though.
Oddly, one time my girlfriend smelled them too, in the car, even while smoking cigarettes, it was like walking into a flower shop. strange. Also, I sometimes smell poop, but I think it might just be this old computer chair I got out of the dumpster...or me...

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 11:29 PM
link   
I have a friend with fibromyalgia that swears she smells and tastes vanilla before a flareup.

I smell smoke at odd times. I don't even bother to ask anybody else anymore, because it's just me. I guess it's just leftover from being through 2 housefires and an office fire. And no, I don't play with matches.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Yeah i hallucinate smells all the time on car trips. All the sudden i small a far and no one did it! CRAZY!

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by ghostlandseller
Yeah i hallucinate smells all the time on car trips. All the sudden i small a far and no one did it! CRAZY!

Hm... he who smelt it dealt it...

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 11:59 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 04:08 AM
link   
I often (but not regularly) get a whiff of a smell when i'm watching tv or a movie. If there's something in there then for the slightest moment I get a smell of what it is. However, it is always something i've smelt before in real life, so I believe it's a memory recall.

It's always smell and never taste, as I know that these two are linked somewhat, but when I smell it it's very quick. I've had it with cooking shows, a coffee pot in someone's house on a movie, the smell of a burger in a movie when the characters were in a diner, the smell of a Christmas tree (pine) in various shows. I really do enjoy it, but I don't believe it's a mentall illness, just a memory of a previous time I have smelt these things.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 05:10 AM
link   
reply to post by mullet35

Yes I remember the advertising campaign here in Australia a little while ago.

If you think you are hallucinating smells, it could be an early sign of schizophrenia

GO SEE YOUR DOCTOR!

It can be very serious.

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 04:27 AM
link   
look up synesthesia its very possible thats what ur experiencing but thats not at all paranormal just kinda rare

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join