It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christians under attack in India

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Christians under attack in India

news.bbc.co.uk

Thousands of Christians in the Indian state of Orissa have fled their homes beacuse of ongoing religious violence.

The unrest between Hindus and Christians began in August sparked by the murder of a Hindu leader. Chris Morris reports.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.cnn.com

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 11:20 PM
link   
The civil unrest in India is reaching a maximum. Mainly due to the conversion of lower caste Hindus to Christians yet there was a new wave of violence recently seen in India. The death of the Hindu leader in the Orissa state sparked the incident.

I am tired of seeing all this violence over religion. I mean honestly people open your eyes. I am not very religious and am not trying to impose my views on anyone but come on if these people are so religious why are we fighting? Isn't the concept of religion to better understand one another and put the good foot forward?

This coupled with the recent religious strife in Iraq I feel like our world is crumbling with hate. Idiots who who hurt others in the name of their religion should open their eyes are realize their wrong doing. Otherwise we would see the trend to atheism become a lot more popular.

Your views?
-IgN0rAnT

news.bbc.co.uk

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 11:44 PM
link   
i agree that something has to be done to curb religious violence and hatred.

i have my own personal beliefs and i keep them quite personal. i don't let them cloud my vision or to pass judgment on people. if someone asks me directly what i believe i may or may not tell them the full scope of where i stand, as i try to avoid conflict and confrontation as much as i possibly can.

regardless of my feelings one way or another, most religions share the idea of peace. in a way the religions aren't the problem, it's the people who follow them.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Barathrum
i agree that something has to be done to curb religious violence and hatred.

i have my own personal beliefs and i keep them quite personal. i don't let them cloud my vision or to pass judgment on people. if someone asks me directly what i believe i may or may not tell them the full scope of where i stand, as i try to avoid conflict and confrontation as much as i possibly can.

regardless of my feelings one way or another, most religions share the idea of peace. in a way the religions aren't the problem, it's the people who follow them.

You're absolutely right, it's the people that follow them that are at fault. But what causes these people to act this way? Is it the satisfaction of knowing that you are serving your lord to the fullest? This ideology must begin somewhere. Somewhere someplace it was established that to serve you lord, to ascend to the greater plane you must commit acts of violence against those who disagree with you.

The fault lies with humanity because we are to thick headed to understand that we have to share the world and respect the viewpoints of others.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 12:07 AM
link   
yeah i think one major problem is that usually it's easy to get along with an individual as long as you have a common goal but whenever you have large groups with too many variances, you end up in disagreement and lose sight of the long term in the heat of things.

it extends beyond just religious belief though. people are just god-awful violent when it comes right down to it and it's becoming more and more apparent that some parts of our nature have to be kept on a tether in our modern world

that is, if we want to progress. it seems most people are content with the old ways but the old way never suited me too well

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Move along..... nothing to see here. All in your imagination according to this ATS Thread...

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 06:04 AM
link   
so we have hindu`s killing christians in india , jews killing arabs (and of course the other way around) in israel , muslims killing christians (and everyone else) in the middile east , and christians killing muslims in the `war on terror`

no change in the last few thousand years then - i`ll grab my armour and horse and go wandering down to jerusalem on `another` crusade then.....

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ign0rant

The civil unrest in India is reaching a maximum. Mainly due to the conversion of lower caste Hindus to Christians yet there was a new wave of violence recently seen in India. The death of the Hindu leader in the Orissa state sparked the incident.

I am tired of seeing all this violence over religion. I mean honestly people open your eyes. I am not very religious and am not trying to impose my views on anyone but come on if these people are so religious why are we fighting? Isn't the concept of religion to better understand one another and put the good foot forward?

This coupled with the recent religious strife in Iraq I feel like our world is crumbling with hate. Idiots who who hurt others in the name of their religion should open their eyes are realize their wrong doing. Otherwise we would see the trend to atheism become a lot more popular.

Your views?
-IgN0rAnT

news.bbc.co.uk

I couldn't have said it better. There are a lot of people who are fallowing corrupt religious leaders. They don't seem to get the big picture of what their religion is supposed to be doing for them.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 06:35 AM
link   
I agree with the general feeling of this post, religious "leaders" are to blame.
for the most part all major religions preach peace and unity, the fanatical take small pieces of the written word and use it to their warped, violent benefit.

Violence happens with many controversial issues when the extremists take to the street;
Abortion
Gun Control
Politics
Religion

Wars have started for much less, humans love to "war", weather verbal or physical.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Not very surprising really! The hindus have been trying to ethnicaly cleanse muslims for years in India and here are a few figures of the the Gujrat violence:

According to an official estimate, 1044 people were killed in the violence - 790 Muslims and 254 Hindus including those killed in the Godhra train fire. Another 223 people were reported missing, 2,548 injured, 919 women widowed and 606 children orphaned.[7]

The perpetrators of the violence as well as Sangh parivar leaders[9] and the Gujarat government[10][11][12] maintain that the violence was a spontaneous, uncontrollable reaction to the Godhra train burning. Others have termed it a massacre[13] and an attempted pogrom or genocide[14] of the Muslim population, emphasizing that the violence was largely directed against defenceless people, indiscriminate with regard to age or sex and alleging that it was pre-planned, organised and aided by the local authorities and political leaders.[15]

en.wikipedia.org..." target="_blank" class="postlink">Wiki

And the political authorities were hindus.

It doesn't stop here,the hindus have also been demolishing mosques and building temples with statues of animals in them to pray at.

I guess the hindus can't handle the fact that muslims and christians are taking over their territory and converting those who don't wana bow down to elephant,snake or papa smurf.

[edit on 15-10-2008 by t0ken]

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Harlequin
so we have hindu`s killing christians in india , jews killing arabs (and of course the other way around) in israel , muslims killing christians (and everyone else) in the middile east , and christians killing muslims in the `war on terror`

no change in the last few thousand years then - i`ll grab my armour and horse and go wandering down to jerusalem on `another` crusade then.....

to be fair Christians aren't killing Muslims in the war on terror, secularised state forces are targetting Islamic militants *and often, I admit killing locals in the process, although in Afghanistan, one week a group may be "Taleban" the next tribal leaders*

not that I agree with involvement in Iraq & Afghanistan, leave those people to their own hell holes I say, but to equate Christians as killing is pretty much anachronistic, maybe several hundred years ago, but not now

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by blueorder

Originally posted by Harlequin

but to equate Christians as killing is pretty much anachronistic, maybe several hundred years ago, but not now

Well Well this is what Bush said about starting the whole 'war on terror'.

the former Palestinian foreign minister Nabil Shaath says Mr Bush told him and Mahmoud Abbas, former prime minister and now Palestinian President: "I'm driven with a mission from God. God would tell me, 'George, go and fight those terrorists in Afghanistan.' And I did, and then God would tell me, 'George go and end the tyranny in Iraq,' and I did."

"I feel God's words coming to me: 'Go get the Palestinians their state and get the Israelis their security, and get peace in the Middle East.' And by God, I'm gonna do it."

Link

Hmm i think what he meant in the last paragraph was 'Go get the palestinians out of their state and get the israelis what little remains of the Palestinian state'.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Actually this was one conflict not caused directly by religious leadership.

While religious "leaders" exarcerbated the problem, it is the politicians who are to blame.

Vote banking is a routine aspect of politics in India. All Congress/ left wing politicians target the backward castes because they are the most numerous. As a result, when a dalit converts, a certain politician loses a vote while another gains it.

Thus the politicians each push their own agenda... be it pro or anti conversion in line with their policies.

I have no doubt that if (hypothetically) the suffrage rights of all the backward castes were taken away, they would not be egged on into violence. After all, which man cares if his neighbour converts if he is more occupied with trying to find food for his family.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Chris Morris reports.

"Ted Maul disturbs?"

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by t0ken

Well Well this is what Bush said about starting the whole 'war on terror'.

the former Palestinian foreign minister Nabil Shaath says Mr Bush told him and Mahmoud Abbas, former prime minister and now Palestinian President: "I'm driven with a mission from God. God would tell me, 'George, go and fight those terrorists in Afghanistan.' And I did, and then God would tell me, 'George go and end the tyranny in Iraq,' and I did."

"I feel God's words coming to me: 'Go get the Palestinians their state and get the Israelis their security, and get peace in the Middle East.' And by God, I'm gonna do it."

Link

Hmm i think what he meant in the last paragraph was 'Go get the palestinians out of their state and get the israelis what little remains of the Palestinian state'.

firstly, the second hand hearsay of some Palestinian aint exactly much of a proof of a crusade
AND even if it were true, it aint exactly much of a crusade

"WE ARE USING SECULARISED FORCES TO REMOVE SADDAM AND BRING DEMOCRACY AND THEN...................................WELL ER LEAVE, POSSIBLY WITH THE MAJORITY OF THE CHRISTIAN COMMUNITY IN IRAQ CURRENTLY UNDER PERSECUTION"

so even if it were true, it aint being done to further Christianity!

[edit on 15-10-2008 by blueorder]

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by KOGDOG
Move along..... nothing to see here. All in your imagination according to this ATS Thread...

The death toll for this specific incident is around 22 so far.....

You're telling me that I am just imagining that?

-IgnoRanT

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 10:24 AM
link   

-IgnoRanT

Ummm.... Sorry, I was being sarcastic. The thread to which I referred in the above post argues that religious persecution does not exist. I beg to differ.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 10:34 AM
link   

-IgnoRanT

Ummm.... Sorry, I was being sarcastic. The thread to which I referred in the above post argues that religious persecution does not exist. I beg to differ.

Whoops sorry about that we really need sarcasm tags !!!!!

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by t0ken
Not very surprising really! The hindus have been trying to ethnicaly cleanse muslims for years in India and here are a few figures of the the Gujrat violence:

And the political authorities were hindus.

It doesn't stop here,the hindus have also been demolishing mosques and building temples with statues of animals in them to pray at.

I guess the hindus can't handle the fact that muslims and christians are taking over their territory and converting those who don't wana bow down to elephant,snake or papa smurf.

You aren't trying to imply their religion is less valid than Christianity or Islam are you? Because as I recall, they (and perhaps you, I don't know) pray to a beardy guy-in-the-sky and a beardy guy who may or may not have existed on earth.

I think i'd rather pray to an idol, if I had to make the choice.

new topics

top topics

join