It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bad Economy Spells Upturn For Military Recruiting: Pentagon Officials

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Bad Economy Spells Upturn For Military Recruiting: Pentagon Officials

rawstory.com

The US economic crisis could well make life easier for US military recruiters, who have struggled in recent years to meet their services' enlistment goals in a time of war.

"We do benefit when things look less positive in civil society," said David Chu, undersecretary of defense for personnel and readiness. "That is a situation where more people are willing to give us a chance."

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Is it just me, or is there something inherently WRONG with this picture?

So let me get this straight---The nosediving economic situatuation and record deficits, which have been largely generated DUE to grotesque overseas invasions, endless occupations and no-bid building contracts related to these excursions, are now a CAPITALIZATION event to RECRUIT more pawns for these profiteering wars, and the M.I.C.'s ceiling-less agendas?

Am I the only one who sees how twisted this truly is? Boasting about the destroyed financial infrastructure as a way to capitalize on people's desperation, when these entities are partly RESPONSIBLE?

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 02:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective

Am I the only one who sees how twisted this truly is? Boasting about the destroyed financial infrastructure as a way to capitalize on people's desperation, when these entities are partly RESPONSIBLE?

No. I think most people are aware of this. I personally became aware of how have poor people have always fought rich men's wars in the name of profits back in the early 1980s when the Dead Kennedy's first album came out. I'd have been 11 or 12 when I first heard the track 'When Ya Get Drafted'.

Even back then, the best part of 30 years ago, not only was the poor people in rich men's wars angle talked about in the song, but also the fact that this happen and the government know people are generally too apathetic to actually make a stand against the government and big business.

Right from the start of all the current economic failure, when Northern Rock had to be nationalised, not any of the American banks, I was genuinely wondering where this would all lead as, has many people have now pointed out on these forums, usually, the only way out of these recessions and depressions is war.

When Ya Get Drafted

Are you believing the morning papers? War is coming back in style
There's generals here, advisors there And Russians nibbling everywhere
The chessboard's filling up with red We make more profits when we blow off their heads

Economy is looking bad Let's start another war when ya get drafted
Fan the fires of racist hatred We want total war when ya get drafted

Drooling fingers Panic buttons Playing with missiles like they're toys
There's easy money, easy jobs Especially when you build the bombs
That blow big cities off the map Just guess who profits when we build 'em back up

Yeah, what Big Business wants Big Business gets It wants a war when ya get drafted
Trilateral Commission goonies laugh and scheme for more when ya get drafted
Call the Army! Call the Navy! Stocked with kids from slums when ya get drafted
If you can't afford a slick attorney We might make you a spy

Forget your demonstrations Kids today sit on their ass when ya get drafted
Just a six-pack And you're happy We're prepared For when ya get drafted

[edit on 15-10-2008 by Merriman Weir]

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 02:42 AM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

You do see that this is happening on a much larger scale than just the poor people joining the military? They used the threat of destroying the economy to fleece the US for 800+ billion. The same threat fleeced the UK for more. The same threat has allowed the government to nationalize banks. The same threat has allowed the fed to take a stake in corporations. The same tactics have bankrupted Iceland and let's just see what they will have to give up to get money again.

THEY have screwed the entire world and have us all over a barrel right now. Higher recruiting numbers for the military is kind of the tip of the iceberg.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 02:52 AM
link   
When all the manufacturing jobs are being outsourced abroad and the boardroom boys, and big shareholders, award themselves big bonuses. there are few choices left for the workers.
There are a finite number of burger flipping opportunities available so the next best paying job is in the military. It may not be a draft in name but if it's the only job you can get that'll pay the bills, what choice do you have?

It's sickening to see the leaders standing there on TV telling us all how these multi-Billion payouts will boost the economy and create jobs, when those receiving the Billions just offshore the money somewhere to cover their own losses or offshore even more jobs.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 03:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Britguy

There are a finite number of burger flipping opportunities available so the next best paying job is in the military. It may not be a draft in name but if it's the only job you can get that'll pay the bills, what choice do you have?

That's always been the case with some demographics. There was a big fuss about this, I think last year, in some Northern town on it's proverbial uppers, as the military were really pushing a recruitment drive on the schools on some run down sink-estates. In the past, the army has always been seen as a 'last resort' for many with no real alternatives.

On the other hand, it's not just the 'lower' end of the scale although, admittedly, the lower end of the scale accounts for a greater proportion. Despite being as working class as they come - and therefore atypical of the other pupils - I went to a fairly good grammar school in the 1970s and 1980s which was cadet-affiliated. The progression from school to the forces was as natural and as expected for some as college and university was for others. In fact, we were often told that we could always rely on the forces or the old boy network for jobs when we left school.

top topics

join