It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Global Life Support System

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Everywhere you look people are shouting, “The sky is falling, the sky is falling!” I’m beginning to feel like I am surrounded by a bunch of Chicken Little’s skittish cry baby clones. This is getting old. In fact, this was old a long time ago…

If the sky is falling, what are you doing to help?

Running around putting people into a fear infested panic isn’t going to save anyone from imminent doom, but on the contrary, we should be mindful of clever and sober solutions. Yet, before you can formulate a solution, you must know the problem.

Where did we go wrong?

For starters, I don’t claim to have the answer, I am only stating my opinions, but the way I see it we have built a system that is too reliant on the system itself in order to function properly. I call it…

The Global Life Support System

Just like a life support system in a hospital, we are ALL plugged into a mass support system. We are continually, daily, hourly, and even minute by minute for some of us, reliant on it for our normalcy of life. If it were to collapse, our way of living would come to a complete standstill.

The problem began when our communities became too large and dependant on other communities for their sustenance. It wasn’t even that long ago when most communities were self-dependant. They grew their own food, sustained their own economy, and governed themselves. When a society becomes dependant on another society for goods, services, or direction it has the same effect as taking a creature out of its natural habitat and into a zoo. Or even worse yet, making it a house pet. They are then domesticated because they rely on someone else to provide for them. Put them back into their original habitat and they die. Just imagine if the local Wal-Mart were to shut-down. Most people would starve to death.

I believe we could learn a lot from people like the Amish. Although I am far from an expert on their way of life, the simplicity and self-dependency that they possess is similar to what we should have in order to be a strong nation. If our system were to collapse and one of the many dooms day scenarios were to come to pass, this would be the way to rebuild…

End mass agriculture that is controlled by the rich, and reduce the size of communities. People, who do not worry about where their next meal will come from, turn to crime out of boredom. If you’re busy hunting for food, growing food, or offering goods or services for food, you don’t get bored. Everyone works or they are exiled from the community.

Stop capitalism. People who become gluttons for money, also become gluttons for power… power to control people. Return to a barter system or something that supports the entire community equally as long as they contribute to the community itself.

Bring back the old Republic that is for the people, by the people, NOT by the rich, for the rich, but prevent the government from having too much power by dividing it among many smaller communities. Reinstitute hangings, and enforce capital punishment to bring an end to crime as an alternative career path.

This is just the beginning of a possible formula to bring about a cure for our failed system. I hope that perhaps this line of thought may assist in providing a solution someday. Together we can all build something better. Something stronger. Something that will not fail so easily.

Got ideas? I’d love to hear them.

Got something better? Let’s hear it.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I will agree with you that most communities are much too large, thus cutting off their ability to be self sustaining. But you refer to the amish as model, then say you want to get rid of capitalism. I hate to burst your bubble, the amish are about as capitalistic as they come. They grow crops, they make things, and they sell what they make for a profit.

Amish people have a wonderful work ethic, which I think we could all learn from. But not everyone is cut out to farm. I know this from first hand experience. I grew up on a farm, and we worked. And while I do grow some of my own food, I am not cut out to make ny living that way. (That is not to say I don't work hard. I am a Registered nurse, pulling 12 hour shifts that sometimes stretch into 16 and 18 hours)

I agree that we need to get away from corporate farming. Farmers in my area who rent land are often told what they have to plant. (This is cotton country, and a lot of the cotton gins own land. Guess what the farmers have to plant? And this was not a good year for cotton. It was too wet, and too cold for way too long.)

The best thing that could happen for a lot of towns would be for the big box stores like Wally world to shut down. Perhaps Main Street would no longer be a thing of the past, and that sense of community that we once had would return, not just to the towns, but to the nation.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by kettlebellysmith

As I stated in my O.P. I am far from an Amish expert, and I am not surprised to learn that they have grown to utilize capitalism as well, but I did say, “I believe we could learn a lot from people LIKE the Amish.” If our current system were to fail, these people would undoubtedly recover faster and easier than any other community that is directly plugged into the “Global Life Support System.” I really don’t know if in our modern world we actually have a society that is completely independent of the system.

What I actually have in mind would require such transformation and restructure that I can’t realistically see it happening unless some major catastrophe would literally shake the nation to its knees. It would take the focused efforts of millions to bring about the metamorphosis of an unplugged nation. Perhaps it could start somewhere with just one community until it spread, but we are all like a bunch of pampered house cats. Lazy. Why would anyone want to give up so much luxury and amenities in exchange for hard work ?

new topics

join