It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study Finds That Searching The Internet Increases Brain Function

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Study Finds That Searching The Internet Increases Brain Function

www.labspaces.net

For the study, the UCLA team worked with 24 neurologically normal research volunteers between the ages of 55 and 76. Half of the study participants had experience searching the Internet, while the other half had no experience. Age, educational level and gender were similar between the two groups. Study participants performed Web searches and book-reading tasks while undergoing functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) scans, which recorded the subtle brain-circuitry changes experienced during these activities. This type of scan tracks the intensity of cell responses in the brain by measuring the level of cerebral blood flow during cognitive tasks.

All study participants showed significant brain activity during the book-reading task, demonstrating use of the regions controlling language, reading, memory and visual abilities, which are located in the temporal, parietal, occipital and other areas of the brain. Internet searches revealed a major difference between the two groups. While all participants demonstrated the same brain activity that was seen during the book-reading task, the Web-savvy group also registered activity in the frontal, temporal and cingulate areas of the brain, which control decision-making and complex reasoning.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 14-10-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Well, this is quite interesting, and even pretty surprising, IMHO...

Net surfing /searching engages MORE neural circuitry than reading a book?

I would have never thought that, but according to this study, more sections of the brain get a workout running net searches than reading a book! But it appears to be some sort of "additive" effect, as these hightened activations seem to be relegated to previous net users.

www.labspaces.net
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 09:24 PM
link   
i wonder if it's possible that it could be because your brain is taking a more active role when searching the net than while reading a book?

maybe i'm misunderstanding. perhaps i should surf more

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Great! This should more than balance out the shrinkage of my brain due to alcohol consumption. Does internet research help kidney function too?

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

I think it is because most of the pages you go to on the internet, there is quite a lot of action going on. There are moving ads on all sides of the screen...and so on. Lots of which to attract your attention and get those brainwaves moving.

Just seems like there is more stimuli on your computer screen than reading just words on a book.

I would have liked to be part of that study because I personally am not a big book reader, but enjoy reading on the internet.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 09:32 PM
link   
let us not forget that while technology can be misused and help to stagnate the human mind, (360's, PSP, PS3, etc...), technology can also be used as a tool to further knowledge and the future of mankind.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 09:50 PM
link   
I like to think of the internet in these sorts of terms.
As long as it is used properly and for the right objectives, it can/will be the great unity or single mind that will ultimately unite the human race.
It could become the advent of our race that others have been predicting in a sense, (their sense being maybe just not with the idea of technology but more of a psychic unity).

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Exactly!!!! I love the internet...Like I have been saying recently, I have learned more from the internet than from 12 years of school. I didn't need a study to tell me that.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 10:03 PM
link   
This is absolutely unfounded and asinine! I will search the internet for the rest of my life until I am smart enough to prove that!

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Cool article. It makes sense when you think in terms of how many different functions the brain has to perform when doing an internet search compared to reading a book. The non-linearity of the internet means there are many more decisions to be made in terms of what to look at, what link to click, what search terms to use ...

Plus, you're processing information in graphic symbols like icons, buttons, and logos as well as textual information.

Interesting though that it's apparently a learned thing – that we don't use all those areas when we're first faced with a Google page, but only after we learn our way around so to speak.

Very cool.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Okay, on a serious not, I seriously attribute all of my knowledge from searching the internet. I barely learned anything in school. Practically nothing. I learned it all from playing rpgs as a younglin and searching the web when I wanted to prove someone wrong. Long live information anarchy!! Yep I have an addiction.

Gogogo neural implants!

[edit on 14-10-2008 by Lucid Lunacy]

new topics

top topics

join