It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Freeze-Dried Foods

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 07:36 PM
link   
I am considering purchasing a 45-day supply of freeze-dried foods, but am hesitating since I have never tried freeze-dried foods.

I only plan to eat the foods in the event of a true need because of a natural disaster or economic crisis. I figure it wouldn't hurt to plan ahead.

Does anybody have any advice/suggestions/comments regarding freeze-dried foods and food storage etc.?

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 08:00 PM
link   
I dont stock much freeze dried stuff, but the stuff I have is either mountain house or pails from emergency essentials.

Emergency Essentials

Both are easy to store (keep dry) taste okay and the prices arent too out of hand. I would say that the emergency essentials is a little bit better than mountain house overall IMO.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 08:02 PM
link   
i lost all my boxes but they have something called heater meals, i guess they also make MRES.

but the heater meals come with super water, it makes an excellent flashlight or kids play toy. but i would just buy as much as those as possible. and lots and lots of sodas.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   
My cousin uses that stuff when he goes camping. He also uses the Dehydrated food or something like that. I don't know to much about it, but he's like a mini survivor man. He said it actually tasted pretty good. If you do get it, let me know what you think!

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Is there some place you plan on buying them from or are you trying to freeze dry your own? I have been stockpiling dry food for about 7 months now. I have no freeze dryed stuff, what I have is as follows

Jasmine Rice (good Stuff)
Dry Kidney Beans
Dry Navy Beans
Dry Great Northern Beans
Dry Sweet Peas
Dry Split Peas
Dehydrated field Peas
Dehydrated Butter Beans
Dehydrated (shreded) Potatoes
Dehydrated Tomatoes
Dehydrated Pears
Dehydrated Apples
Dehydrated Pinapple (good stuff)
Instant Mashed Potatoes
Oatmeal
Grits
ect...

Also bought a food dehydrator, about 5 months ago I ordered one 6 gallon bucket of dehydrated peas which took OVER 4 months to be delivered, (when I called them and asked them why it was taking so long, they said they have some very important customers ordering large amounts). So after hearing that and reading on the web that "some" federal agency is buying alot of long term storable food.. here is a link to an article you may or may not have read..

www.worldnetdaily.com...

I decided to buy a home food dehydrator which has been going nonstop..
the quality of the dehydrated food is very high, and reconstituts well.
I want to develop a minimum 3 year food supply that I will rotate when fully stocked.

Sailor

P.S Total food on hand rough estimate for my family of 3, we can survive for about a year and a half with what I got on hand now.

[edit on 14-10-2008 by Sailor1]

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Sailor1

I was intending to purchase from TheReadyStore.com, but I didn't want to state their name initially in case people thought I was attempting to plug their company.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by MOFreemason
reply to post by Sailor1

I was intending to purchase from TheReadyStore.com, but I didn't want to state their name initially in case people thought I was attempting to plug their company.

I have not tried them but I do know it is difficult to get any quantity from the online sellers.. I also utilize a vaccum sealer for everything (to enhance shelf life) and package the dryed food in 5 gallon buckets (watertight)

Sailor

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Sailor1

The WorldNetDaily article is quite scary. I was unaware there was a shortage of online food orders.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by MOFreemason
reply to post by Sailor1

The WorldNetDaily article is quite scary. I was unaware there was a shortage of online food orders.

Yes that is why I resorted to "Plan B" which is the home food dehydrator, I have also been experimenting with canning my own butter.. (don't worry I did extensive research on how to do it)

Sailor

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   
I will check out homemade canned butter....interesting. Because I have recently seen it for sale online. And I don't want powdered stuff! Also just for grins. I love freeze-dried over dehydrated any day. I always prefered Mountain House brand, but now I will purchase a few of the other brand you mentioned and see which is better! Thanks!

top topics

join