It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does Drinking Alcohol Shrink Your Brain?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cadbury

You're not even joking. 14 a week is only two cans a day. A man could "dry up."

Yea, and then we'd realize what's really going on around us and completely crack up

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   
what is a heavy drinker anyhow?

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Undeniable proof that indeed it does)
www.simpsonstrivia.com.ar...

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dermo

They call 14 drinks or over per week "heavy drinking?"

Ridiculous.

That is ridiculous! Thats only a friday nights worth.

What about the rest of the weekend?
i have at least 8 cans before i go out and then 10 or more pints of bass and then onto vodka..the trick is to make yourself sick everytime you goto the toilet to boke up the drink...im sad

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Aside from the obvious layman attitude of the news editor, saying a brain is dumber because it's smaller... 15th century much?... The problem with these studies is they're typically after the fact studies.

What I mean by this is, they check the IQ or whatever factor they're using only afterward, and compare it to the average.

The article specifically says brain volume, not size, which brain volume can be linked to dementia and other disease...as the article states. It's like you didn't even read the article

And your claim of "after the fact" is pretty crap, because it would not be scientific if that were true. Most all studies have a before and after measure, along with a control (the average)...that's the entire...you know...scientific method and all.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Nothing worth doing is without consequence, alcohol and drugs are fun and therefor it should be obvious there's side effects. So what if your the old man with the smallest brain in the bunch, your the old man who enjoyed him some of the finer things in life. Drink up! Oh and don't drive

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 10:12 PM
link   
So that's what that rattling inside my head was all along! My brain shrank. Oh damn. Now what am I going to do with all this extra space? Wait a minute I don't even drink that much. Houston we have a problem. I wonder where my keys are?!

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 10:21 PM
link   
I think drinking the best quality booze increases brain function. That is my story and I am sticking with it.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 10:32 PM
link   
I only drank on special occasions, like the grand opening of a pack of cigarettes

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I am about to amaze and astonish you all as I present my proof based on the data gathered from the genius individual in the quote. This data is going to prove exactly the opposite of what was posted by the OP.

Buffalo Theory
One afternoon at Cheers, Cliff Calvin was explaining the Buffalo Theory to his buddy, Norm Peterson. And here's how it went:

"Well ya see Norm, it's like this... A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members."

"In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, as we all know, kills brain cells, but naturally it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers."

And there you have it folks. Proof positive of the actual affects of alcohol consumption.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grumble
I think drinking the best quality booze increases brain function. That is my story and I am sticking with it.

I must agree with you, In fact, if drinking shrank the brain, mine would be like a pea rolling around in a railroad boxcar. Wait, some do believe that my brain is that small......

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 11:01 PM
link   
nah, there are some pretty smart drunks on this page!

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by lushyslushy

lol i'm drunk right now haha.
i tend to be more careful when takling to people when drunk.
heck i'm drunk now and i haven't made a jerk of my self jet lol.
did i just say i'm drunk three times lmao.

disclaimer: don't drink and post.

[edit on 14-10-2008 by miguelbmx]

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 11:19 PM
link   
what type of serving size are we talking? 24 beers in a case and 24 hours in the day? coincidence? i think not.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 05:15 AM
link   
This is great.

It just goes to show all of the hype about MJ burning brain cells are lies. Most people are under the false assumption that alcohol does not damage the brain unless youre a heavy alcoholic. this isnt true, and this study proves it.

We should replace one with the other. Legalize one, and criminalize the other even more-so, tighten regulations even further on drinking laws in the same bill that would legalize less than X.X amount of MJ for personal use only. The laws for having more than whats considered a personal amount, or something such as scales and baggies, you could still be charged for illegally selling or conspiracy to do so, because it would be available in the stores.

Likewise, tighter liquor regulations, to the point of nazi severity, would spur a bootleg illegal market for powerful liquor like back in prohibition, except not as big and organized, due to today's law enforcement technology. This would DETER would be smugglers of 'hard drugs', aka felony, goto jail for 10+ years mandatory type drugs, as the booze, being a staple need for the community (there's SOOO MANY CLOSET ALCOHOLICS IT IS INSANE!), would take priority status in the community black market over normal top-sellers like: processed coca leaf plant, processed poppy plant (H), and that ever-so-nasty crystal meph.

It would be good for the community! And then half of those users of harder substances could easily access the MJ, and you wouldnt believe the number of addicts, who are on and off hard drugs constantly, who can switch to just smoking, and enjoying just that, if only there was a totally consistent, undisrupted, instant way of purchasing it at most times of the day.

Who's with me? legalizeee it.. and I shall advertise it.

But seriously, right now theres 2 markets. lets EXPAND!
market #1: the booze market (legal, in store)
market #2: the illegal market (in this example for MJ, which is illegal)

I PROPOSE OPENING TWO NEW MARKETS TO THE PEOPLE!

lets add a market #3, and #4. These would be:
3) an ILLEGAL booze market, in addition to a more restricted legal booze market for higher-proof liquors (100proof+)
4) a LEGAL MJ market; this would shadow the illegal MJ market, which would still be criminal, like i explained with charges such as smuggling, conspiracy to sell, selling, etc. Only small quantity users who bought theirs from the 7-11 would be totally legal to have it.

Think of all the extra income?

And then there could be city-wide, or state-wide, or country-wide programs instituted where medical grade MJ can be dispensed to anyone who will submit to regular urine testing to ensure there's no usage of any other drugs whatsoever, if they come up dirty on a test they are kicked out of the program, just like a methad0ne program. you pay a certain amount, and get your specified little pack of MJ depending on what the doctors in the MJ clinic feel you should be having. But dont mistake that for needing a prescription. The doctors working in the public MJ clinic wouldnt need to write prescriptions for it in my plan, just to regularly evaluate the members of the program.

This would KILL the illegal market so much ... our governments are so stingy and stupid and selfish, particulrly state and city! because it is these types who have the power to enact such changes! Look at California .. and Washington State, and Oregon, and Denver?

runetang for 2008 president!

[edit on 10/15/2008 by runetang]

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by fatdad
i dont know about shrinking brains but i have noticed all alcoholics seam to have no hair loss .. next time you see a wino drinking himself to death notice how thick his hair is with no colour loss.....

Maybe it's because they don't live long enough...

I am kidding, of course.
And I am so annoyed by all these studies "after the fact", as somebody else said. To think they're actually getting paid for this kind of work!

I am not going to even comment on the correlation between the size of the brain and its function. But I can say this: alcoholism, apart from its fatal influence on human relations (family life etc.) and the drinking individual's function in society, his or her progressive alienation, DOES seem to cause memory black-outs that, in some cases, seem to be permanent. And I am not talking about "getting blind", as the old drinking buddies' saying goes; I mean, the person doesn't have to pass out from drink to experience localised memory loss the next day.

I have seen that happen.
It's SCARY.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dermo

They call 14 drinks or over per week "heavy drinking?"

Ridiculous.

That is ridiculous! Thats only a friday nights worth.

What about the rest of the weekend?

Rest of the weekend? DAMN .. what about Monday? Tuesday? .. Common, I know I am not the only one who drinks as long as the day ends in a Y!

--- has the smallest brain of them all....

PS .. I am only a light drinker on Thursdays!

[edit on 10/15/2008 by Rockpuck]

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by fatdad
the trick is to make yourself sick everytime you goto the toilet to boke up the drink

You know.. i never actually copped onto that, nice one.. thats some pretty good advise

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 09:52 AM
link   
well alcohol is a drug. have u ever wondered why it isnt illegal? It is a simple controlling device to keep the public dumber w/ hordes of beer commercials and consumption.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by MoothyKnight

Yeah thats why it's not illegal. It's a conspiracy to control people and dumb them down.

Couldn't have anything to do with the fact that everything that becomes illegal ends up going underground and becoming more dangerous. Pick up a history book, booze was illegal for some time....it was a disaster, hence it being legal again.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join