It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does Drinking Alcohol Shrink Your Brain?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Does Drinking Alcohol Shrink Your Brain?

www.cnn.com

What's good for the heart may hurt the brain, according to a new study of the effects of alcohol.

. . .

In the study, Paul and colleagues looked at 1,839 healthy people with an average age of about 61. The patients underwent magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) of the brain and reported how much they tippled. Health.com: Ten best foods for the heart

Overall, the more alcohol consumed, the smaller the brain volume, with abstainers having a higher brain volume than former drinkers, light drinkers (one to seven drinks per week), moderate drinkers (eight to 14 drinks per week), and heavy drinkers (14 or more drinks per week).
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 10:08 AM
link   
So alcohol shrinks the brain now. Seriously? Just like marijuana does whatever is is they say it does now. I remember when eggs were good for you . . . then bad . . . then good again. Same goes for coffee.

Why would they want us to stop drinking alcohol?

I call BS on this. Soory . . . will not get me with this one. I happen to like eggs, coffee, and alcohol

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Alcohol most certainly does not shrink the brain.......wait...what were we talking about? Oh yea, I like eggs too.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 10:23 AM
link   
muslims officailly the largets brained enthno group on the planet ^_^

thats thoughts gonna rile a few folk

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 10:26 AM
link   
It shrinks my brain?

You mean... like compression?

Good, I needed more space.

Aside from the obvious layman attitude of the news editor, saying a brain is dumber because it's smaller... 15th century much?... The problem with these studies is they're typically after the fact studies.

What I mean by this is, they check the IQ or whatever factor they're using only afterward, and compare it to the average.

What they often don't factor in is that people with lower IQ tend to drink more anyways... so your data is already skewed.

... Or I could just sum it up as, if you set out to prove something, you'll prove it, regardless of validity.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Good

if my brain shrinks i can fit more beer in

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Yes,

Haven't you ever heard about people that drink so much that their brains get really small and falls out their ear?

It happened me once, it was touch and go for a while until i found it again.

Moral of the story:

If you are going to drink a lot.. wear earplugs.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 10:51 AM
link   
what i want to know is the correlation between liquor and beer, and which type of spirits shrinks the brain faster.

Jagermister or Yuengling?

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   
You know, im still on the fence on that one, but I will say that when I quit drinking all together I experienced an explosion of mental capacity. Although it could be a coincidence because I did get older too....

Edit: This just in: People aren't just acting stupid when they're drunk, they actually are....

[edit on 10/14/2008 by Choronzon]

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I believe that alcohol destroys brain cells.

But only the weak ones!

ba..dum..dum

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 11:44 AM
link   
the ones with oversized brains ( i contend have the abberrant behavior),
the larger brain people often get brain trauma from the brain hitting the skull ~as they nod in agreement~

and all that knocking around of the oversized brains distracted them from doing the natural thing...
i.e. consuming alcohol

i've grown used to my compact brain (it has more horsepower to it's displacement)...and i challenge the learned scientists who say my brain has shrunk by consuming alcohol.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I've heard off a few doctors and nurses that this is actually true...but it only happens to older, heavy drinkers (alcoholics).

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Yes i think it does, But no matter, there are ways to reproduce Grey matter.

Thinks like Juggling, Mental Exercise. and so on.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure it does shrink the brain, but I don't care. I'm going to enjoy myself til the bitter end. I've instructed my children to put me in a nice home or smother me with a pillow -- whichever makes most sense to them at the time.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Alcohol does not shrink your brain.. watching MSM does.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 12:15 PM
link   
i dont know about shrinking brains but i have noticed all alcoholics seam to have no hair loss .. next time you see a wino drinking himself to death notice how thick his hair is with no colour loss.....

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Oh dear....here come the "experts" tryin to tell us what's healthy and what isn't. You know these idiot nutritionists change their mind about everything every ten years or so...
Remember the food pyramid from when we were kids telling us to eat a ton of carbs, then a few years ago the Atkins diet told us to eat a lot of protein and avoid carbs...the exact opposite of the old food pyramid. I'll bet dollars to doughnuts(which I eat frequently with no adverse effects) that it all changes back around then changes again before 2020.

Wanna live long and healthy? Better hope you got the genes for it because thats ALL that counts.

Look, virtually everything you put into your body can be argued as being both bad and good for you in some way, even marijuana and booze.....
I've always felt that the nutrition industry was the biggest scam ever. Anyone care to explain how I can eat a whole package of chips ahoy for dinner three times a week and not gain a pound?

As a bartender I say...drink up and tip heavy. Just don't get loaded and hit the road.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by xxpigxx

Overall, the more alcohol consumed, the smaller the brain volume, with abstainers having a higher brain volume than former drinkers, light drinkers (one to seven drinks per week), moderate drinkers (eight to 14 drinks per week), and heavy drinkers (14 or more drinks per week).

They call 14 drinks or over per week "heavy drinking?"

Ridiculous.

[edit on 14-10-2008 by Cadbury]

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cadbury

They call 14 drinks or over per week "heavy drinking?"

Ridiculous.

That is ridiculous! Thats only a friday nights worth.

What about the rest of the weekend?

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dermo

That is ridiculous! Thats only a friday nights worth.

What about the rest of the weekend?

You're not even joking. 14 a week is only two cans a day. A man could "dry up."

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join