It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Problems with editing posts.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 02:43 AM
link   
Quite a few times now I've had problems with editing posts.

What tends to happen is that a multi-quote post with individual responses to the selected quotes appears as a giant single quote. To all intents and purposes, this looks like I've messed the quotes up somehow, and perhaps missed a closing tag.

When I try to edit the post and reformat, I can make changes and ensure there's no formatting problem and that tags are closed and in preview it's fine: it looks as it should and all the tags are definitely closed.

However, after pressing EDIT POST to submit the changes, when the post appears in the thread, it hasn't made any changes at all. In fact to test this, I altered the spelling of a word too, but that didn't take either.

I'd perhaps understand this if the post I was editing was perhaps an old post and there were measures to stop people making spurious revisions, but I'm trying to make these changes with a couple of minutes of making the initial post.

Any suggestions?

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Perhaps the exact post you're referring to can give us a better idea?

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gemwolf
Perhaps the exact post you're referring to can give us a better idea?

The most recent one, the one that was really winding me up, was this one.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I'd noticed the formatting was askew only a minute or two after I'd posted it - although it looked fine in the preview. Then when I tried editing it - and again it looked fine in the preview with the multi-quotes appearing where they should - it made no difference.

I tried to change it, by even incorporating a couple of quotes together and reformatting my responses, but those changes didn't appear at all, not appear but 'wrong' - if that makes sense.

This has happened quite a few times now.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Check it out now? I think you had one too many quote tags.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Here's a problem that I have found:

When I go to edit my post, make the changes, then hit the "preview post" button, my changes show up, but then when I hit "edit post" button it wipes out the changes I have made. So, I quit using the preview button when I do edits. give that a try.

Rush

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gemwolf
Check it out now? I think you had one too many quote tags.

Cheers for that, but also see the post below.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by hsur2112
Here's a problem that I have found:

When I go to edit my post, make the changes, then hit the "preview post" button, my changes show up, but then when I hit "edit post" button it wipes out the changes I have made. So, I quit using the preview button when I do edits. give that a try.

Rush

That's been one of the problems: it shows correctly in terms of content and formatting in the preview, but when I go to post, it "wipes out" the changes as you put it.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Merriman Weir

I have been having that same problem for about 3 weeks now. If I preview an edit, it wipes out the changes in the post, but if I don't preview it, the changes show up in the post when I hit the "edit post" button.

Odd....

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Maybe staff could look into this if they haven't done so already.

Rush

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Previewing an edit reverts your post back to it's original form.

It's site-wide. Even for staff.

Couple of solutions.

R-click, select all, and copy, your edited post when you think you have it right.

This will keep a default of all changes you've made.

Preview it .

R-click , select all again, and paste.

If you're happy , you're good to go. Post Reply.

If not, make your edits, and again select all and copy BEFORE you preview .

Rinse and Repeat until you get it looking the way you like.

Easier way is to compose in an offline text editor (word, notepad etc.)
that way you always have a default copy.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Good to know Jbird. Thanks for the tips.

Rush

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 03:36 AM
link   
I'm struggling to spin out 'thanks' so it's not a one liner. I'm glad the reverting problem wasn't just me and I appreciate the help.

top topics

join