It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Probably No Use in Asking.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Why is it that the T&C demands that people provide sources for their research information only when it suits the status quo of this site?

To clarify, why is it that a relative new-comer to the site can post something, to little avail, and someone with more points come along and the same exact thred topic thrive?
No use in asking I know. I know this because people are more likely to respond to these sorts of topics if they are raised by someone they believe credible. But the problem is... why aren't these people plaigarizing others' threads required to bring it to attention they actually got their information from ANOTHER ATS poster. Case in point Carl Hungis' thread about "I didn't realize it was this bad"....

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Hi Jay. I think it's in the nature of a site like this that you get a fair amount of duplication. The more visitors the site gets the more likely this is to happen. Look at the October 14th stuff we've had over the last few days. Inevitably sometimes people spot the same things on other sites, You Tube included, and post it around the same time. It's very difficult to prove that someone has deliberately plagiarised another poster. It's also sometimes difficult to see where some things have been posted before, (though I think everyone should take the time to do a quick search before starting a new thread, it doesn't take long).

Long story short, my experience having been here a little while is that these things tend to even out over time. You'll find that serial plagiarisers tend to get found out quite quickly, and you'll start seeing less of them. Sure, we all have threads that are taken over by others from time to time, and we all post threads that don't get the attention we think they deserve. But if you persevere it's worth it in the long run. I think it's safe to say there's no conspiracy against new members - on the contrary, it's in the site's interest to encourage new writers and posters as much as possible, surely!

Take heart, my friend.

LW

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I'm not accusing, even though it may have sounded that way, of direct plaigarism. Not at all.

However, I am not neive. I have seen a lot of threads hijacked and due attention moved away.

I am not saying this in relation to ANY of my threads, just in general on this board. This stuff cloggs up the site's servers I'm sure.

How about a "thanks to so and so for bringing this to my attention, I didn't think it was getting the credit it deserved, so I started my own thread with the info?"

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by LoneWeasel

Actually, that October 14th stuff is a perfect point in case. Why so many threads about the SAME aspect of the topic... The damned google earth stuff! Why not simply redirect that thread to the top by flagging it?!

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Like I say, I don't disagree with your point, really - and any increase in courtesy on the boards has got to be a good thing.

In the case of the October 14th stuff, the powers that be have taken action to prevent excess threads being started. It wasn't aimed at new posters or old posters, though.

All I'm saying is, I think over time it balances out. There's competition for space on this site, which is healthy and how it should be. Sometimes that can be frustrating. But no one's pursuing any interest but the expansion of the site. I think the T&C protect that principle, myself.

LW

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I think that's why we all got u2u's today about "no more October 14 threads", in addition to one of the mods posting a helpful thread steering people to one 10/14 thread and listing the old ones for reference purposes. They try, they really do. But people just can't seem to look to see if their information is already posted.

If you think someone is plagiarizing, you can alert the mods to the thread. It is true that as people get known, others are more likely to click on a thread they've posted.

Also, you can point out your thread if you think there's a double posting. Just be polite and post a reply like "This issue is also being addressed [give link]."

Hope this helps. The more you respond (thoughtfully) to other people's threads, the more people will recognize your name, and the more attention your threads will get.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Don't feel bad Jay. Sometimes I don't think I can get a thread started without saying I am a cross dressing reptilian. I wouldn't let it get you down. I don't.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Howdy All,

Not sure if I understand the issue clearly but Ill give it a stab.

To clarify, why is it that a relative new-comer to the site can post something, to little avail, and someone with more points come along and the same exact thred topic thrive?

Many things can and do influence the popularity of a thread. From it being a current hot topic, to when it was posted, the realtive quality of work etc.

Also given the large amount of traffic sometimes an intial post on a subject will be pushed off the first page of recent posts and for many of us it takes us a while to get to page 2 etc.

As mods when we look at a duplicate in most cases 95-98% of the time the intial post will stay open the later post will be closed.

There are exceptions to the rule however. If a post was second but has a good, active discussion it might get left open. We do try to acknowledge the person who got there first in thread, but being human sometimes we (I) forget to do that.

Also as noted above this is a busy place and threads can and do get buried. By the time we as staff see them the scenario noted above may have already occured. Complicating this is similar topics with different titles, or posted in different forums makes duplicates hard to spot etc.

As far as experienced members go: I for one have never established nor give extra credence to a posters number of points or longevity here at ATS. Rather quality of work that I see. There are members who I seldom agree with on a variety of topics, but because the articulate themselves so well, I will read thier posts everytime I see them .

[edit on 10/13/08 by FredT]

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Like I said earlier, this has nothing to do with any threads I may have ever committed to thought.

Just a point.

Eh, nevermind. Continue on about your business. Like I said, no point in asking.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jay-in-AR
Like I said earlier, this has nothing to do with any threads I may have ever committed to thought.

Just a point.

Eh, nevermind. Continue on about your business. Like I said, no point in asking.

Did I miss something in my post above?

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   
This actually has nothing to do with the moderators either, I commend their efforts. Must be a tough cookie to handle, I'm sure!

This is more about common courtesy.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

Sorry dude, I was typing that response when I got a long winded phone call. I replied and then read your response.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by LoneWeasel

"All I'm saying is, I think over time it balances out." < You're probably right there. I'd be fine to just leave it at that. (and to hope that if anyone takes credit for someone else's ideas, they can at least acknowledge that)

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by jpm1602
Don't feel bad Jay. Sometimes I don't think I can get a thread started without saying I am a cross dressing reptilian. I wouldn't let it get you down. I don't.

I can't star this but it's just made me laugh more than anything else all night....

I think you actually ARE a cross dressing reptilian. And this is just a bluff to throw us off the scent...

LW

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Dangit. Those bras, panties, and garter belts are from my old girlfriend ok!
Same as the dresses in that little nook in the closet. LOL

I must say though. Popularity I believe does play a certain factor.

And I've never hummed Julia Roberts 'I feel pretty' under my breath.

[edit on 10/13/2008 by jpm1602]

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by americandingbat

I forgot I had opened this thread.

HAHA, boy I must have been upset about something. But lets use this for a point...

One of the "helpful mods" moved all thread activity through one of theirs and related activity elsewhere is shut down.
Perfect case in point.
How about just common courtesy among members?!
I realize that is too much to ask. People hold on to their egos fiercely.

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jay-in-AR
Why is it that the T&C demands that people provide sources for their research information only when it suits the status quo of this site?

I've written the Terms & Conditions (with years of refinement and input form others and legal advise from professionals), and there is no such demand. Where do you believe you're reading it?

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Like I said in the previous post, I had forgotten I had even created this thread.

I suppose when I created it I was pretty upset about something, although I can't remember now what it was. I just reread it and posted on it again for the heck of it.

Hey, by the way, I see this in the "business" area. Do you guys actually monitor for activity in this forum? If so, that is pretty cool and it displays exemplary organization.

If I had known that my rantings, even in the "official" area, would somehow detract the time of the official site makers, I wouldn't have brought it up. Apparently my call for courtesy, with a little poke at the fact that discourteous behavior is sometimes overlooked, is misplaced and I will respectfully drop the issue.
Heh, I am now remembering that after I posted here last I received a 1,000 pt. reduction in another thread.

top topics

join