It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why buy ammo? Make ammo!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 05:04 PM
link   
OT, with any TC gun, I'd go low and slow with as heavy a cast bullet that I get stability with the twist rate barrel. I know there are some 200-250 grain molds out there in .357-358 caliber. Even relative light weights in the sub -200 grain weight category are going to do some serious damage driven at standard cast velocity of 1400-1600 fps. The heavier bullets will penetrate and exit even tough critters like moose through both shoulder blades at most sane hunting distances. I'd try the same with the 7mm TCU as well. You're basically mimicking 7.62x 39mm ballistics with the 7mm TCU. The old Russian warhorse however can be pushed a lot harder in a TC Contender or bolt action rifle with 150-180 grain bullets than the 7mm TCU can muster. I've heard of some guys pushing 200-240 grain .308 bullets (round nose soft point) from the 7.62 x39mm at 1900-2000 fps range from Lapua cases. As one writer put it, those aren't bullets at those lengths, those are spears.

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 06:53 AM
link   
reply to post by crgintx

Hello crgntx,

Wait a minute...am I to understand that the TC Contender is offered in 7.62x39mm?? If so I was not aware of this chambering. I do indeed like this caliber...7.62x39 as an intermediate .30 cablier round.

I have not tried lead chamberings in rifle bullets..but only pistol. .38 Specials and .45ACP's.

I am thinking that in 7mm some sort of gas check would be in order. Yes I am aware of the power and or energy capable of being delivered with lead bullets.

The only lead molds I have currently are for black powder .50 caliber maxi balls. About 20 lead ingots under my reloading bench.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by orangetom1999

TC will build you any barrel in any cartridge you want to shoot, BUT they will not garruntee your safety for hand loads. I have seen TC barrels in .458 Winchester Mag. Also in .45-70 and larger. I would shoot the .45-70 but NOT the Mag,LOL.
Heres two videos of a TC and another type in 600 Nitro Express, just to give you an idea!!!

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

Zindo

[edit on 10/24/2008 by ZindoDoone]

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I wish I had the time to learn how to reload brass. For now, I will stick to my trusty MEC 600 and will keep cranking out the shells. Cheap and fast in the event of any potential long term civil unrest. For now, I'll stick to the trap range and the pheasants.

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by ZindoDoone

ZindoDoone...No thanks..I don't need that much punishment. I get enough climbing around these ships and submarines.

Actually ..The barrel I purchased in 35 Remington is a horse more than sufficient for punishment. IT tends to jam my wrist and pinch the nerve there...hence numbing my hand and wrist.

I have seen a friend of mine firing the .444 Marlin Cartridge in a 14 inch Contender. No thanks on this one either. I should have been smart enough to see what was coming in .35 Remington. I only occasionally shoot the .35 Remington TC barrel..preferring to use the .223 and now this 7mm TCU.

I have purchased another 200 rounds of 120 grain hornady poly tip and also 200 rounds of 139 grain poly tips for this barrel. Will be sizing up plenty of .223 brass for this Contender.

Oh..also I did not know that about the Thompson Center Contender company ...that they would make any barrel you wanted. No hurry to purchase another barrel....though I think a .22 long rifle barrel would be handy as well.

Thanks,
Orange

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Hey reloaders, check it out. I've used him. He will need to call you back to confirm and get payment. ( That's what happen to me) It beats buying a box of bullets that don't work for you.

www.bulletsamples.com...

Roper

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by orangetom1999

From what I understand, the 7.62x39mm is one of their more popular custom shop chamberings. TC website has a listing of their custom calibers on their we

Another excellent choice for TC barrels is SSK Industries. They have an excellent reputation. In medium calibers chamberings, The 7.62 x 25mm Tokarev,.30-357 or .30 Herret from a 10-12" barrel seems to me the way to go shooting cast bullets. The little Tok round will push 100-120 grain cast bullets as fast as you can without leading and is extremely economical to load as compared other .308 caliber chamberings. The SSK .30 Mini Whisper is based on the .30 Mauser/Tokarev and supposedly the most accurate of all .308 cartridges shooting 170 grains or less bullets at subsonic speeds. I mention the 100-170 weight grain bullets because they are very common and can be found even at general stores in some fairly remote areas.

Even at subsonic speeds(below 1060 fps in most cases) a hardcast lead bullet of 170 grains will have tremendous penetrating power at ranges under 100 yards. Several .308 caliber airguns have used bullets in the 120 grain range at under 800 fps to harvest wild boar of about 140-200 lbs range at distances out to 50 yards.

Check Graf and Sons or Midway for 7mm gas checks. I know they carry them for 6.5 mm, so the more common 7mm should be available.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 09:45 PM
link   
I wanted to show you all this. I saw this set up and thought it was a good idea and now I have one. My son drilled and taped the cutters at his shop, that way I got out on some work.

Roper

[edit on 15-11-2008 by Roper]

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 08:47 AM
link   
NO thompson center arms will NOT make you a contender barrel in 'any caliber you want"

cartridges have to fall BELOW a certain pressure range before they will even consider it. the largest chamberings ive seen in the contender are the 444 marlin the 375/444 and the 45-70, and youd be stupid to shoot those without a GOOD brake on the end.

companies like bullberry,SSK industries and match grade machine make custom contender barrels, but NONE of them that i know of will chamber one in 444. mike bellm will make you a 444 barrel though.

one recomendation id personally make as a gunsmith of 30 years is never to g on info you pick up off the net. about 99 percent of the time its inaccurate.always check with someone compedent in the firearms industry before you try ot believeaything you read. if you dont you could end up with something like this

cdk357.tripod.com...

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join