It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Controversial Confederate Flag Taken Down -- Replaced by LARGER Confederate Flag!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Controversial Confederate Flag Taken Down -- Replaced by LARGER Confederate Flag!

www.abcactionnews.com

TAMPA, FL -- The controversial Confederate flag flown near I-4 and I-75 will come down Sunday afternoon according to organizers of the Confederate Memorial Park. The 30 by 50 foot Confederate Battle Flag will be replaced by another larger Confederate Battle Flag. The new flag measures 30 by 60 feet.

Sons of Confederate Veterans spokesperson Marion Lambert says the new flag ties the second largest flag flying in the United States. Once the original flag is removed it will be portioned out as a fund raiser for the memorial.

Lambert says the memorial construction is underway and should be completed within six weeks except for granite monument installations. Organizers say the flag and memorial are not to promote racism but rather pay respect to part of America's history and to those veterans who fought in the Civil War. Activists have raised concerns but have not gained much support to protest its existence.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www2.tbo.com

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 12:08 PM
link   
It almost seems as if they are trying to make a point!

I am actually surprised they are not getting more protestors, perhaps Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson have a busy schedule as of late.

Honestly it struck me as quite hilarious. A true counter-statement in a world that has become far far too politically correct.

[edit on 13-10-2008 by Sonya610]

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Good to see.

Race baiting extortionists like Jackson and Sharpton and their ilk need to have their ass handed to them on a daily basis.

This is a good start.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Good, I don't see the big deal. Its funny how some people will argue that the civil war wasn't about slavery, than turn around and say that flag represents slavery. You could make an argument that the us flag represents slavery too (I don't beleive it does).

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 12:17 PM
link   
lol I think this is kinda funny. Kinda like a slap in the face. I'm not racist at all but I kinda like how they did this. You don't like our large flag, we're sorry, how about now? lmao

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Racism has always played a part of american politics
in fact, it's all based on it

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by mkross1983

I can't agree with you more. I hate racism and the petty fighting in this country but you gotta admit that sure is funny, a big *snip* if you will.

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 10/13/2008 by maria_stardust]

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I say: GOOD FOR THEM!

For all those born in the south, the confederate flag is a part of our heritage. Interesting that those that cry racism will not conceed the fact that a LOT of blacks served with the confederate army during the civil war.

Racism has nothing to do with that flag!

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Learn more about the Confederate Flag before you perceived it to be a racist flag. Because the flag that I knew that represents slavery before the Civil War was the Stars and Stripes. Perhaps we should go coo coo over it.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I saw this on the local news last night ( I live in the area).

They did interview some of those opposed. However, much of the protests seem to have died down with the addition of the memorial. A few even said while they didn't agree with the flag they would come by to look at the memorial when it was finished and wait till then to form further judgement.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
Learn more about the Confederate Flag before you perceived it to be a racist flag. Because the flag that I knew that represents slavery before the Civil War was the Stars and Stripes. Perhaps we should go coo coo over it.

Yup exactly. People need to learn some history before making assumptions on the confederate flag.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   
its an awesome symbol that says even though we are American, we have the right to branch off when we are not longer satisfied. the thirteen said "we would like to be independent". i doubt anyone at ATS can find a falut in that. they saw a problem and didn't rely on the white house to fix it for them. well, it didn't quite work but it still was a very impressive step.

it stands for heritage, not hate.

Robert E lees graduating class voted him "most likely to succeed"

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Interesting read:

www.revisionisthistory.org...

Further research helped Hervey discover records of at least 100,000 black Confederates who fought in the war.

"I am marching for freedom," Hervey said. "The battle flag stands for freedom and states' rights. The U.S. flag is the flag of slavery. It flew over 100 years of slavery, and Native Americans were annihilated under that flag."

For his march, Hervey chose the site where a Confederate flag once stood, one of eight representing entities that have governed the Coast. Harrison County removed the flags because of protests over the Confederate flag, a racist symbol to many, flying on the public beach . . .

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by mkross1983You don't like our large flag, we're sorry, how about now? lmao

Yup! That's exactly what it is. When the news story was on tv it made me bust out laughing.

new topics

top topics

join