It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Three Stanford students die in car crash...why is this on front page of google news?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 10:40 AM
link   
www.mercurynews.com...

PALO ALTO — The Stanford University community was reeling Sunday after three Graduate School of Business students were killed when the Jeep they were riding in veered off a cliff on Highway 1 near Big Sur.

Why is this on the front page of Google new's?

To me it's a slap in the face.
Why?
Thousand of kid's and people die in car wreck's every day...
So why these kid's ?
Because they are kids of family's with money.
Thus it's a great faking tragedy.

I have a newspaper i saw 5 car wreck's in my local paper that killed people.
One was my sister -in-law that killed her and her 7month old unborn child.
Via a drunk driver.
Was it even on the new's or local new's....heck no it wasn't..she was dirt poor..and good riddance's to poor people is how i see it.
and this kinda media make's me sick.

3 rich kids die in a car crash OMG stop the press's!!!!!!!!!!!!

i do fell sorry for there family's i DO.
but the difference in America's society sickens me .
POOR= no coverage if you die
Rich= the worse tragedy since Rome burnt down.

This is no different than a missing kid on tv for a month...
why is it on tv so much?
because it pertains to rich parent's.

yet thousand of poor children kid took and rape /murdered everyday.
and not one person beside close realtive's and friends really help look for the kid.

More of a rant...but it's the truth.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 10:54 AM
link   
The article is posted in a San Jose newspaper, which Google News picked up and added to its list of articles from across the country. The Google News front page is not a listing of only the select important stories in the nation, but rather an aggregation of articles from a variety of local newspapers. This story is actually no longer on the front page, as it is continually updated as new articles around the country are published.

So, disregard my previous response:

I agree that it is odd of Google News to put such a quotidian occurrence on its front page. However, I don't think you have enough information here to conclude that it was done so "because they are kids of family's with money." You have no evidence to suggest that these are children of wealthy families, or that their family's financial situation has anything to do with their story being printed on the front page. I would hazard to guess that the person responsible for posting the article has some connection to Stanford or the area, and thus felt this story to be newsworthy. Even if that isn't the case, it remains an odd choice for a news item, but nothing more.

[edit on 13/10/08 by paperplanes]

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 12:07 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Google's actions are becoming increasingly worrisome and increasingly disgusting. It seems in this world as soon as someone makes a few billion dollars, they turn power hungry and begin a campaign of somehow trying to change the world into their personal playground.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by beforetime

One kid that died in this unfortunate accident didn't come from money. the mom works 6 days a week as an account the father at a bus driver. YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELF.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 09:06 PM
link   
You assume they are rich.

They are graduate students. Most graduate students have loans, or are working their way through school. Just because they go to that particular school does not mean that they are just privileged trust fund babies.

Besides, it's not every day that people are killed because their car plunges off of a cliff! It's probably the unusual aspect of the story that caused it to get picked up.

I am very sorry for your loss. And for anyone who loses a loved one in any way. But your genuine animosity towards the "wealthy" is just as disturbing as your perceived animosity towards the poor.

I would put money on the fact that it is the "cliff" aspect of the story, and not the "money" aspect of the story that was considered notable. Besides, "rich" is relative. Someone who makes $60,000 a year might be rich to someone who barely makes $20,000. Someone who makes $140,000 a year might be rich to someone who make $60,000. And someone who makes $1,000,000 a year is rich to everyone... Except those who make $10,000,000 a year.

Edited to add: Whenever anyone dies unexpectedly, it's a tragedy for those who care about them. Have a heart, and grow up.

[edit on 16-10-2008 by TheHypnoToad]

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I don't assume they are 1 working man family son.
Died with the other rich kids and BAMMMMM!! its on the front page of Google new's.
it got viewed so man time's.

nothing draw's a crowd like dead rich people.

i do have a heart...

Just my heart don't bleed when the media throw's 99% rich people kid's and themselves dead at me.
When i know 100 times more poor and unfortunate people get killed everyday..and barely get a mention int he obituaries.

so thus the world turn's...for the poor rich kids and grown up's that get murdered or killed.

and i did say i feel bad for all of there families...
But at same time i wish they would give some of there money they got to to hype up a poor missing child one time.

but your right that poor missing child doesn't matter compared to the rich child that's stay's on tv for a year

[edit on 17-10-2008 by beforetime]

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 08:02 PM
link   
It's horrible when rich affluent young people die in a car crash. We simply must make their Mercedes Benz or Lexus's safer!

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by beforetime
I don't assume they are 1 working man family son.
Died with the other rich kids and BAMMMMM!! its on the front page of Google new's.
it got viewed so man time's.

nothing draw's a crowd like dead rich people.

I think you've identified what's going on right there. It's not that Google favors stories about dead rich kids, it's that Google favors stories that get the most views.

And more people click on a story about dead rich kids than dead poor kids. Who knows why – to laugh at their downfall maybe? In hopes that we'll see some really titillating story about the life we imagine the rich and powerful lead?

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by beforetime

I just want to say how incredibly insensitive this post is. You obviously know NOTHING about these kids. I only know one of them and let me tell you his family is not anywhere near rich financially, but rich with having shared a short life with a wonderful young man. They struggled and sacrificed to see their child go to college. He was very bright, and focused and successful due to his hard work and his compassion and caring attitude toward others. So when I read this post I did not become furious or angry I became sad. Sad because I hate to think that his family may read this same post, and sad for the person who posted it, as your anger, jealousy, insecurities, and a number of other emotions that fuel your tongue got in the way of compassion and consideration for human life. May your heart be healed from your minds destruction.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Its too bad that, you people are fighting with each other over death of some kids. Let dead be kept aside with these trivialities. -V.

new topics

top topics

join