It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stocks: Bailout rally

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Stocks: Bailout rally

money.cnn.com

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Stocks surged Monday morning as investors cheered the global response to the deepening financial crisis, following the worst week on Wall Street in history.

The Dow Jones industrial average (INDU) jumped 400 points, or 4.8% with bank stocks leading the way. The Standard & Poor's 500 (SPX) index rose 4.3% and the Nasdaq composite (COMP) added 4.4%.

U.S. bond markets are closed Monday for the Columbus Day holiday.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
money.cnn.com

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Looks like things may be actually getting better, market around the world are all responding well to the news that came out this weekend. Perhaps Friday was tha bottom and now we are going to start our slow steady climb up again.

One thing i do find facinating here is this....when new the stock are going to be bad there are 20 threads a day about the sky falling and the NWO, NAU, One world currency, Martial Law, but noone here ever bothers when the news is good here.

money.cnn.com

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Trayen11

One thing i do find facinating here is this....when new the stock are going to be bad there are 20 threads a day about the sky falling and the NWO, NAU, One world currency, Martial Law, but noone here ever bothers when the news is good here.

money.cnn.com

Good news , bah but bad news is so much more exciting isn't it
?

Bah the markets are stabilizing to fast :/ I still need the USD to be weak for another week or 2 cause I have some payments to do in USD and I just love the value of the dolar in regards to my currency at the moment

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 09:18 AM
link   
The markets are irrationally reacting to the summit this weekend, and world leaders claiming they have things under control. The problems were NEVER solved. This is just delaying the inevitable. Too much debt worldwide. The system will crash, it's just a matter of when.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 09:19 AM
link   
I'm all for good news too but I'm watching the markets with caution, just incase.

I'm also not sure yet whether the EU plans to guarantee banks and part nationalise some is actually good news.

I'm just not ready to jump in yet and start saying that everything in the garden is coming up roses. Maybe by the end of the week I'll stop feeling so nervous about all of this and then I'll be only too willing to jump in to good news threads.

I hope I'm not sounding negative - cautious, but not negative, is how I'm feeling. Today is definitely a better day than yesterday, for me!

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 09:20 AM
link   
It looks like a bounce. Nothing has really changed since Friday in a positive direction. If you know money and you know history all these steps taken since then end badly.

The market is volatile right now, things can swing wildly look at Friday's close. Nobody knows what is going on, but losses cannot continue without some upward movement.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Trayen,
You're right. The meetings, bail-out, etc. probably calmed a lot of traders' fears and stopped the panic selling. We will see how this week plays out. Unfortunatelly we are coming up in the retail season which drives the market as well and people have cut back on spending. I need my own government bail-out to do my holiday shopping

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Its fake confidence. Im sure CNBC will be celebrating the bailouts handed down by the governments.

400pts gained?... compared to thousands lost?

The markets only up 358pts at the time of writing this, it may finish in good territory today, but tommorow the good will will subside, it may only rise by tens, the next day maybe break even, or a loss.
come the end of the week it'll head back into red territory, and we'll be no closer to a fix.

The underlying issues are still there, and all this money being thrown around is doing nothing but increasing the problem.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Mainer

I can agree with you that it looks like a high bounce, I'm not saying that we are out of the woods yet. I'm just thinking that fridays plummet was actually the bottom, or so it seems anyways. Personally I feel we have hit the bottom and we will be starting our slow climb up.

If we are lucky enoguh we may only be looking at a recession here.

I just wanted to post this to try and ease some people here as we have about three threads going right now about "Black Friday", "Black Monday", "Purple Tuesday". Perhaps things are not as bad as they appear.

Plus the move by global banks to gaurentee cross bank lending seems to be opening the credit somewhat as it will ease alot of fears from banks. And thats the first step, if we can get banks to at least start lending to each other, then there is some light at the end of this tunnel.

top topics

join