It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Distant Spacecraft Scans Earth for Signs of Life

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 07:45 AM
link   

www.livescience.com

A new study is underway to search for signs of habitability ... on Earth.

If that sounds like the ultimate waste of science funding, take a closer look. The project is designed to scan Earth from a distance and note the evidence for habitability, so that we can better detect that evidence on distant worlds. In essence, if we want to find life on alien planets, we have to study a planet known to host life to determine what clues to look for, scientists say.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 07:45 AM
link   
You probably read the headline and are now as disapointed as I was initially. But after further reading this is more exciting than you might think.

"We want to know what can we discern about the Earth's habitability based on such observations. Whatever we learn about Earth, we can then apply to the study of other worlds."

So far, the project has learned that tracking down signs of life and livability is not as easy as it sounds.

"We see water and molecular oxygen in Earth's atmosphere, but Venus also shows these signatures," Piccioni said. "So looking at these molecules is not enough."

A more subtle signal that could differentiate the two types of worlds is the so-called red edge – the infrared signal caused by photosynthetic life. "Green plants are bright in the near infrared," Grinspoon said.

It is one thing for us to speculate which exo planets may or maynot sustain life, but with this study we will have a better idea of what to look for.

www.livescience.com

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Now the big question....

Did they find any life on Earth?

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 08:41 AM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by DataWraith

My bet is they will declare this planet inhospitable to intelligent life....and judging from the way things are going, they will be right.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I can't help but ask: why have they waited so long to do this.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by kelbtalfenek

Most likely because, as of late, they have had a more compelling reason to question it

AB1

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by loam
reply to post by DataWraith

My bet is they will declare this planet inhospitable to intelligent life....and judging from the way things are going, they will be right.

lol. That is basically the same thing I said.

I guess it's okay to say the entire planet doesn't have intelligence, but saying that ATS is part of the culprit is bad.

I guess that makes sense. Everyone knows that ATS is full of the brightest minds on the planet.
(me included,
)

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 09:53 AM
link   
... Rather than invest all that money on that project - "to find life on alien planets" - why don't they just ask the Alien(s) sitting next to them on poker night at Area 51??

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by dhunter
... Rather than invest all that money on that project - "to find life on alien planets" - why don't they just ask the Alien(s) sitting next to them on poker night at Area 51??

because the "aliens" have classified thier own existance,thus anyone who tries to talk about or reveal thier existence on earth is autmaticly up against a wall, a wall they created themselves.....a whole intelligence agency just for them...the nsa.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by dhunter

You mean these guys?

Seriously though. I think this will help us to learn what we should be looking for, but a space craft 3.5million KM away will give different results when you think that we are considering planets light years away...Would it really be that accurate?

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by VIKINGANT

www.livescience.com

A new study is underway to search for signs of habitability ... on Earth.

If that sounds like the ultimate waste of science funding, take a closer look. The project is designed to scan Earth from a distance and note the evidence for habitability, so that we can better detect that evidence on distant worlds. In essence, if we want to find life on alien planets, we have to study a planet known to host life to determine what clues to look for, scientists say.

Sounds like a very sound reasoning.

new topics

top topics

join