It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australian Anti-Terror Laws

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 07:05 AM
link   
I've recently had an argument with someone very close to me over 'protection from terrorists' versus retaining rights in Australia.

Things don't seem all that bad over here but I feel that the world is changing quickly and I don't like the way things have the potential to change.

eg. if the definition of a terrorist begins to change, which I believe it is overseas, we're going to follow suit IMO.

I found this review article from Melbourne University that I thought was good. It helped me explain my viewpoint, even though the other person involved still thought it was more important to be 'safe'. You can access the first page on google scholar.

It really has all worked hasn't it?

I am no terrorist, nor will I ever be, but I am worried that as people accept the trend further freedoms may be taken away.

Head, M 2002, 'Counter terrorisms laws: a threat to political freedom, civil liberties and constitutional rights.', Melbourne University Law Review, 26 (3): 666-689

It makes me sad when people cannot come to their own conclusions.

I apologise I can't link to the full text.

[edit on 13-10-2008 by seenitall]

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 07:22 AM
link   

In 2000, the Coalition and the Labor parties joined hands to pass military callout legislation that enables the armed forces to be mobilised against civilian unrest ('domestic vioience'), with or without the agreement of a State government.

How exactly does that keep us safe? Before September 11? Something smells. I think global crisis has been forseen, and terrorism is a convenient way to have laws passed.

They include sweeping definitions of terrorism and treason, both now punishable by life imprisonment, which could outlaw many forms of political protest and industrial action.

In addition, it reverses the burden of proof for a range of serious offences, effectively requiring defendants to prove their own innocence.

Indeed, the laws appear to have little to do with protecting the Australian people against terrorism.

A few little quotes from the review that I thought were of importance.

I know a lot of this is old material, but I'm sure theres a few Aussies out there that will be appreciative. You're probably going to have to go to a decent library or subscribe to google scholar to get access to the full article.

While citing the September 11 attacks in the United States as its justification, the government has adopted a definition of terrorism that goes beyond the Bush administration's USA Patriot Act

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by seenitall
I've recently had an argument with someone very close to me over 'protection from terrorists' versus retaining rights in Australia.

Things don't seem all that bad over here but I feel that the world is changing quickly and I don't like the way things have the potential to change.

eg. if the definition of a terrorist begins to change, which I believe it is overseas, we're going to follow suit IMO.

I found this review article from Melbourne University that I thought was good. It helped me explain my viewpoint, even though the other person involved still thought it was more important to be 'safe'. You can access the first page on google scholar.

It really has all worked hasn't it?

I am no terrorist, nor will I ever be, but I am worried that as people accept the trend further freedoms may be taken away.

Law Review

It makes me sad when people cannot come to their own conclusions.

I apologise I can't link to the full text.

the problem is..in england they are using anti-terror laws for all sorts of things...from the mundane to the ridiculous..the anti-terror laws have become simply 'law'...

its a scandal...

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Yeah when you read this stuff it really seems like they have less to do with terrorism and more to do with control.

But I better shut up before I coerce the public with political ideology, which would make me a terrorist apparently...

new topics

top topics

join