It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
(visit the link for the full news article)
A massive power outage has hit southern Vancouver Island and the Gulf Islands.
The blackout, caused by a transmission outage, affected about 178,000 customers south of Ladysmith on Vancouver Island, according to B.C. Hydro.
The lights went out at about 5:40 p.m. PT and almost to the hour switched back on in areas around Victoria.
Ted Olynk, spokesman for B.C. Hydro, said: "Crews are patrolling the line trying to detect the cause of the outage."
Originally posted by space cadet
reply to post by mellisamouse
Why does the article say what caused the blackout, then say they are trying to find out what caused it?
[edit on 13-10-2008 by space cadet]
Originally posted by Chadwickus
Whazzap with the thread title??
Thought power outages were common. I don't see the big deal
Originally posted by cognoscente
I was walking along the beach in the evening and saw the most fantastic sight, as the entire coast of the Island, from where I was standing, lit up spontaneously and synchronously.
[edit on 13-10-2008 by cognoscente]
- The fuse box in the Bickfofd's home blew up and shot 2 fuses 20 ft. down the hall and left imprints in the opposite wall.
- fuses were not blown.
- Seconds before the "Boom" Mr. Bickford's daughter, Cynthia heard a loud sound, like P.A. feed-back and Mrs. B.heard hailstones hitting her bedroom window and felt a terrible pressure in her head.
- All light switches and TV were blown out.
- A ball of fire shot of the oven and passed through the front door.
- A neighbor saw a blue flame shoot up out of an iron baking pan.
- Many neighbor's lights came on for a few seconds but switches were off.
- Many neighbor's TV's and electrical appliances were destroyed.
- Blue flames shot out of plumbing fixtures. (neighbor's)
- Boy on a bike saw a ball of blue fire 3 ft in diameter hovering, with orange around the edges, discharging sparks from the outer surface of the ball.
- A grandfather clock that had not worked in years, suddenly started and the hands moved forward at an accelerated rate. (Paul Bickford)
- The bickford's 2 room shack, behind the home, had a portion of the roof and wall blown out in the rear corner.
- The wire inside the A.C. drop into this building was completely vaporized, leaving only the melted insulation.
- Chicken coop behind summer home was destroyed killing 5 chickens.
-Horse in attached barn was OK ( no electrical wires in barn)
- Behind the barn in the woods were three mysterious holes in the ground 2 ft. deep, in a equilateral triangle formation 2 ft apart.
- Above the holes, a fir was scorched a quarter of it's height about 20 ft.
- A man outside sawing wood, saw odd blue hail that stuck to his raincoat that disappeared within seconds, before he heard the boom and saw a bright orange flash.
- Many witnesses saw an orange glow or smoke in the woods, "like iron ore dust."