It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do we use churches as polling places?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Maybe I am missing the point, but has anyone actually tried to push their religion you when you go to vote? Tried to convert you? Tried to preach to you? Tried to baptise you against your will?

The only people in the church where I vote are the volunteers, normally little old ladies with vision problems, who are there to verify that I am who I say I am and give me my little "disk" for the electronic voting machine. Never, ever has any church member or church employee come up to me during voting day.

What is happening to people that the rest of us don't know about?

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by asmeone2

Originally posted by bruxfain
In the eyes of the Government a church is no different than any other community facility.

No law respecting (with regards to) an establishment of Religion. They should really revisit that Amendment. Too many people are coming to this country thinking they know what it means and they do not. This means that the Government does not recognize a Church as anything more than a not-for-profit organization established according to the laws of this nation.

The Government cannot help you to destroy churches. That is not its job.

[edit on 13-10-2008 by bruxfain]

My objection is that churches are not truly public places... they cater to people of only one beleif system, and thus espouse one particular political viewpoint.

They are not truly unbiased, in the way that a library or a school or a fiarground would be.

That sounds like an opinion. They're organized as not for profit community service organizations. From my experience, not being a member of any church, I've been able to walk in any church and take advantage of the community services they offer. And they do offer a menu of services to the community that don't require much in return.

When I did go to the church I didn't go to debate religion, be saved or discuss politics, so I wouldn't know what their political views are; I assume their belief somehow centered around Jesus, but I didn't bother to ask, as it wasn't the reason for my visit.

If you go to the church and vote I am sure that's all that will happen. Noone will try and convert you and I don't think Jesus has a political affiliation. Schools have young children and are not always appropriate places for adults to be walking around and community fairgrounds are outside. Libraries could work but they also have a business to run.

The church will be empty during the hours of voting and most people know where it is located. They also have plenty of parking and quite and calm environment. The polls require volunteers to watch the location and people who participate in the political process also happen to go to church.

What I would suggest to you is this: Volunteer for the next elections and when they are looking for a place to put the polling place suggest something you feel is more appropriate.

[edit on 13-10-2008 by bruxfain]

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Yeah, no doubt I can see your point here.

That can feel like the equivalent of stepping into enemy territory, and not being a member or believer you are truly an outsider if you are in opposition to the views to the establishment.

My old polling place wasn't a church or a school it was some sort of community center and although they didn't have signs, buttons or pins, you knew what political territory you were in and being an opposite or an outsider it felt intimidating because they would stand over you and stare when you put your card in the reader.

I can imagine some folks don't go back or don't go in because of those uncomfortable feelings or intimidation from being not affiliated with the people or the place of the polling.

What bothers me more is how easy it would be to cheat or vote many times - especially if one worked in one of the polling places. All you would have to do is fill out a ballot for some of the people on the list that didn't show up. The only checks and balances are trust of those who work at the polling centers.

Now, I'm in a city that requires me to vote by mail. That just leaves a whole other list of ways your ballot can be intercepted along the way and manipulated or discarded at will.

[edit on 13-10-2008 by verylowfrequency]

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

to clarify, you said that her story was bunk because it is against the law to preach at someone at a polling event. I am telling you that law or no, it doesn't stop people.

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Wow. You people need to simmer down... Its not like your voting in a monastery and you have to be baptized in holy water and recite the catechism. Its just a building and not everyone there goes to that church, and the people working there aren't priests. Basically voting in a church does not IN ANY WAY go against the constitution and "separation of church and state (which by the way isn't true separation, but toleration of all religions and protecting peoples rights to practice religion freely and whatnot... not the literal separation of voting in a church.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join