It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What can help Public Education?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2004 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Most agree that public schools, especially those in low income areas, need lots of improvement. A student in a failing school does not want to learn and their peers encourage an anti-learning atmosphere. Schools needs to be made interesting for them and they need motivation like sports to keep them in check.

I say down with all the cutting class sizes down, too costly and not proven effective. Big classes can be just as effective if the students are interested in what is being taught. Merge current events, sports, whatever else into the classroom, stuff they can relate to and talk about. A good sex ed class(extreme conservatives cannot comprehend how young they start, and are not capable of making the decision as to when and how sex-ed should be done) would be something that many would look foward to and again it could be done to teach them what they need to know. Maybe even bringing back the paddle for those who deserve it is not too outlandish.

Proper schooling is fundamental for us to remain prosperous, lets cut the politics out of the school system and find ways to reach the children.

Anyone else have any ideas on what can be done to improve the schools?

posted on Mar, 25 2004 @ 08:41 PM
link   
The problem with the funding is that the better schools get more money, and the worse schools get it taken away. It should be reversed.

The class size amendment thing isn't a bad idea, there just isn't enough money, and not enough teachers, because there isn't enough money...

I agree, they should have us on current things, not things that happened a hundred years ago... Like Shakespeare, except for the drama nerds nobody understands or even likes him...

posted on Mar, 25 2004 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Completely eliminate the degree of "education".

Turn the teaching of subject matter over to Subject Matter Experts who have spent a large portion of their lives actually living and breathing what they're teaching and are ready to give back to society and don't need much money.

Stop having our kids taught math by a person who had a minimal amount of math courses and spent their four years learning how to "teach".

posted on Mar, 25 2004 @ 08:46 PM
link   
cut the government out of so-called, "public schools". Let the truth be told truthfully, and not in a sly, sneaky manner;

Public School = Government School

Government Schools = 10th plank of Communist Manifesto

Did you know, when the federal government created the Department of Health, Education, and Welfare in 1953, American students were ranked FIRST in the fields of math and science?

Fifty years later where are we?

After spending millions upon millions towards "better" education in America, American students now are ranked at 21st world-wide in math and science.

In my opinion, we should switch over control to local/private sector. With NO federal strings for this, that, and the other thing, as we can see, they have only hurt things.

And I fully support the school vouchers program, giving people the choice of where they want to go to school.

posted on Mar, 25 2004 @ 08:46 PM
link   
i have to disagree with your ideas...it is not a matter as to whether a child is interested or not..but it is a fact that EVERYONE learns at a different pace in a different way...from their peers...

true..some people seem to learn much the same...those are the ones that the instutionalized, sterilized atmospheres of the maga schools seem to reach...but the problems lies in the education of those children that do not learn as others do...they are not mental cases, nor do they have any learning restrictions as they are sometimes labeled with...

these children are bright, natural learners, who find everything around them interesting...they are curious about everything in their innocense until the system gets their hooks into them...and then these kids shut down.

how could the public schooling system be improved?.....dump it and start over again completely with the view that all children learn differently...that their home life and parents need to take responsibility for them...not the schools or the government...if the parents say they "don't have time"...then they can darn well make the time...they had the time to have a family...they can realize that it is up to them to be the main focus on teaching their children.

let the state offer incentives to the parents, if that is what it takes to teach their children at home full or part time...as for socializing...kids have always found a way to do that over the ages with others in their neighborhoods...there would still be sporting functions, dances, etc...

let the state work with the parents of these kids....with the parents calling the shots...a partnership in which the parents have the say as to when, how and what their kids will be taught...in that way diversity can be preserved...children can learn at their own pace and not be pressured into learning certain things before they are ready to ...

posted on Mar, 25 2004 @ 08:56 PM
link   

And I fully support the school vouchers program, giving people the choice of where they want to go to school

The school voucher program was one of the worst ideas. Most of the people who went on a voucher are now back in public schools. The voucher program takes away needed money from the schools.

Private schools do not have the same qualifications as public schools, so a teacher can get in without any college degrees at all, I found that out from my friends and neighbors who went to private schools.

posted on Mar, 25 2004 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Funny how some without college degrees can still be effective and sometimes great teachers.

As for old stuff like Shakespear that no one gets, they should have Sex Ed/Humanities/Religion all one class since sex is a big player in any good literature and we get our literature from religion.

Vouchers, i dont know what to think about them, but if students and their parents could choose other public schools in the are if they provide their own transportation that would make vouchers die.

Everone knows there are honors, normal, and integraded classes, with classes for LD as well as gifted students as a side, that better not change. No one has an equal learning style, it is up to the student to eventually decide if s/he wants to learn.

posted on Mar, 25 2004 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Do away with public schools. Make them all private. Free market schools will solve the governmentally screwed up scene!

posted on Mar, 25 2004 @ 09:24 PM
link   
We pay tax money and 1 MAJOR thing we want from it is free education. No way around it. Maybe no taxes or at least a FAT exemption for those who want to homeschool their kids.

posted on Mar, 25 2004 @ 10:58 PM
link   
i think Rudolph Steiner's schools (Waldorf) could be a good model..

posted on Mar, 26 2004 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
Do away with public schools. Make them all private. Free market schools will solve the governmentally screwed up scene!

I would have to totally agree with this sentiment though would add an extra alternative..homeschooling, for those who have the time and of course the inclination to be involved with their childrens upbringing. Its completely customizable to each child and allows for alot of free learning experiences without government intrusion as well as affording a relationship with your child that can not be equaled

posted on Mar, 26 2004 @ 01:36 AM
link   

I completely agree. I would add something though. Perhaps the reason that

Most agree that public schools, especially those in low income areas, need lots of improvement. A student in a failing school does not want to learn and their peers encourage an anti-learning atmosphere.

is because a large part of those in that area come from parents who had the same problems. Maybe it's because there is a reason that their parents are low income - genetics maybe? Intellegence does play a factor in the desire to learn. People who are smart/bright want to become succesfull and study more/work harder. Just as good athletes like to play sports more then those who are not athletic. In order to learn, there has to be a desire to study, which is not the case in a lot of schools. Since schools are paid for by the gov, there is not the parental incentive to get good grades as there would be if they had to pay for it AFTER taxes. This is the case in college where most parents (or any good ones) would stop paying for their kids school if he were not working hard enough.

posted on Mar, 26 2004 @ 02:06 AM
link   
I heard there is a proposed 75 cent tax increase on cigarettes in my state to help fund education. That's PER PACK. That will rake in the bucks if that passes, unless it causes a mass quitting trend.
Only a portion of it would be used for schools, however. At its current rate, the state's $1.25-per-pack cigarette tax brings in about $860 million a year, of which half is earmarked for public schools. There's also an estimated 94,000 teen smokers, so they'd be helping to pay for their own education.

www.freep.com...

posted on Mar, 26 2004 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Those who dont want to learn can do labor for money. Work study programs where they can find something to do and offer vocational certificates for the ones who do not like the classroom setting. There are always going to be failures, we are not perfect.

posted on Mar, 27 2004 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Vouchers are a great idea. That was a hot issue in my neck of the woods. It's a complete myth that is takes money away from schools. It's the other way around, sort of. Considering the voucher gave the parent (here anyway) about $2200 to go towards private education and the public schools (here) were spending about $8000 per student. Money isn't the problem: why are operating costs at private school typically lower? They have to operate within their budgets. Nor can they stick a levy on the voting ballot when they realize they've mismanaged.

posted on Mar, 27 2004 @ 11:13 AM
link   
You want to make the education system better? Get all the secret society members out of the mangment of it............................

new topics

top topics

join