It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The lurker bomb that can hover for ten hours... and then strike its target in [seconds]

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 06:43 PM
link   

The lurker bomb that can hover for ten hours... and then strike its target in [seconds]

www.dailymail.co.uk

One of the biggest problems facing British troops in Afghanistan is Taliban ambushes. The insurgents often escape before a counter-attack can be launched because they know the Afghan terrain well, it takes time for air support to arrive, and the British are reluctant to use existing powerful missiles for fear of causing collateral damage such as killing civilians or flattening homes.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 12/10/2008 by SilentShadow]

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Well here is a new weapon i have not heard of.

As for the weapon, the use of it is brilliant for the protection of troops on the ground as an airstrike is within seconds away and not minutes away. This severely helps the British troops and stacks the deck in their favour.

I do wonder how easy they are to shoot down? Regardless i think this is a great idea and if i were a soldier on the ground i would like to know the saftey of the 'Fire Shadow' was there.

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 12/10/2008 by SilentShadow]

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Interesting - Kind of a cross between a bomb and drone.

The only downside I could see to it is that if not used they have to do a controled crash as there is no way to land it now if it isn't used. Its basically use it to blow something up or crash it. At 60,000pounds a rocket that can add up.

PS - Never mind, you fixed the link

[edit on 12-10-2008 by Frogs]

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 07:21 PM
link   
It would be an incredible place to live, this world... If they put all the energy and thoughtfulness into preserving and improving life, rather than destroying it. "Cool!" doesn't even come to mind anymore. "Ridiculous" is usually the first thing in mind after hearing about these kinds of things.

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 11:57 PM
link   
The article mentioned they can do a controlled landing when the bombs time is up. My guess is they can then recover, fix and refuel it before sending it back up.

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by DeadFlagBlues

So so true... a shame.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Deadflagblues,

You are right. Although I can appreciate the weapon for what it is and still think it's impressive, but it isn't cool.

Imagine a world where we spent our money and resources towards civil things like science, medicine, and new technologies that exist in harmony with life instead of against it.

It's like whenever humanity has learned a new power or skill we want to turn it into something deadly. are we as a species that immature?

The MRI for instance used to be called the NMR for nuclear magnetic resonance. but since humanity has decided to pervert the use of nuclear energies we think nuclear=atom bomb and deadly radiation. So they had to change the wonderful devices name to MRI so that there was no nuclear connotation in the publics perception of the device. we all know that the MRI is a magnificent tool of medicine, and it operates on nuclear principals. so why can't we direct our attention and energy to building benign devices instead of weapons?

new topics

top topics

join