It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is everyone's problem with responsible gun ownership?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by redled

As you (unintentionally) pointed out with the comment about knives--your people are not safer, they've just moved on to other weapons.

Trying to take the weapons away doesn't solve anything. The criminals will always find them.

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by asmeone2

There are alternatives in between banning guns and letting everyone in the world carry one.

How much is too much, though? Hell, I just found out that I do not need to register my handgun, nor do I need a permit to carry a gun in the state I live in (from SD in this thread). It is registered and I have a carry permit, though, because, honestly I thought I had to have one and no one told me otherwise. Of course, I was a blonde when I got the gun, so that may explain it.

The handgun ban in DC was overturned, but people still cannot have a loaded handgun in their home in DC. It has to be unloaded and basically disassembled.

Some think any regulation is too much and some think no regulation is enough. The Constitution says we have the right to bear arms; it doesn't regulate which ones. Is there even a happy medium?

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

Nah, it's a new craze and police are stopping and searching all over the place and gradually it will chill out. Communities are moving over it.

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by skeptic1

My opinion is that the exact amount of registration should be decided on the state level, by putting it to a general vote and letting the people decide.

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 07:37 PM
link   

New DC gun law:

Handguns, as well as other legal firearms such as rifles and shotguns, also must be kept unloaded and disassembled, or equipped with trigger locks — unless there is a "reasonably perceived threat of immediate harm" in the home.

and as you correctly pointed out:

It remains to be seen how much of the district's new regulations will withstand constitutional challenges, Helmke said, adding that it could take years for the courts to sort it all out.

The Supreme Court's 5-4 decision June 26 that affirmed the right to have guns for self-defense "raised more questions than it's probably answered," Helmke said. "They haven't explained where you draw the line."

usa today

[edit on 10/12/2008 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

I still wonder what good an unloaded and disassembled gun will do in the situation where a criminal breaks into your home and you need to defend yourself and your family.

What are you supposed to do....say "Hang on, wait, let me assemble my gun....ok, ok, just a few more minutes......ok, gotta get the bullets.....ok, ok now we are even....get out of my home or I shoot". That's gonna work well. Same goes for the trigger locks.

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 07:44 PM
link   
This is unfortunately one of those never ending "Less-filling! Tastes great!" debates. I've posted in another thread listing some of the "myths" about gun ownership so I won't duplicate my efforts. All I'll say is if you're truly open minded and want to get some facts, take the time and READ through the entirety of the document found here:

www.gunfacts.info...

After you've read it, come back and make an educated and informed, non-emotional post one way or the other with some supporting documentation.

[edit on 10/12/08 by surfinguru]

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by surfinguru

Good material to read.

What stuck out to me in that paper was that guns are used 60 times more often to protect lives than to take them and that you are far more likely to survive a violent assault if you defend yourself with a gun.

My handgun is for protection. I have hunting rifles and shotguns to hunt with (but those are kept off my property in a gun safe). I would rather be safe than sorry and do not want to suffer through an assault again without anyway to defend myself.

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Those who think we don't live in the 'Wild West' might be right if they don't live in the inner city or must visit those places where the law doesn't matter to the inner city dwellers. Try living in New Haven ,Ct. in the last 2 years the average is one shooting a night with 40% death rate. New Haven has a large police force and isalso the largest 'Santuary City in the North East. That mean more illegals per capita. Gun laws mean nothing to these folks. Hell' traffic laws mean nothing either. The statistics on motor vehicle arrests for unlicensed and uninsured drivers in that city is off the map. Police cannot and are not responsible for protecting you. They are responsible for protecting the government that they are attached too by court rullings. You as a citizen must protect yourself before the cops get there. They only show up to take names and make reports and if at all possible arrest someone. Thats the facts and thats why the 2nd amendment states what it does. Citizens are responsible for their own well being! Heres a link to case history on what police responsibility is:

www.firearmsandliberty.com...

Zindo

[edit on 10/12/2008 by ZindoDoone]

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZindoDoone
[SNIP] ....Police cannot and are not responsible for protecting you. They are responsible for protecting the government that they are attached too by court rulings. You as a citizen must protect yourself before the cops get there. They only show up to take names and make reports and if at all possible arrest someone. Thats the facts and thats why the 2nd amendment states what it does. Citizens are responsible for their own well being! Heres a link to case history on what police responsibility is:

www.firearmsandliberty.com...

Zindo

[edit on 10/12/2008 by ZindoDoone]

And there is the reason why I choose to own a firearm. There is no way I am going to let me and my family be victims - it's MY responsibility.

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by surfinguru

Exactly. It is our responsibility to protect ourselves and our families.

In this day and age, when almost everyone's motto (on here, at least) is "don't trust anybody", who else are we suppose to depend on to protect us if not ourselves?

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

I like your writing style, but you keep saying one thing that is wrong. You do NOT have to "register" a firearm in TX. Only NFA stuff with the NFA branch of the ATF.
Not anyplace in TX. The rest of your info is pretty good. Dealers keep a record of sale, but that is it. After the dealer goes out of biz they are suppose to send in the records to ATF to be stored. But I have several friends at ATF and only about 28 percent send in anything after they close. Most just "loose" them. There is no penalty for the loss of records when you give up FFL.

[edit on 29-10-2008 by TXMACHINEGUNDLR]

[edit on 29-10-2008 by TXMACHINEGUNDLR]

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Yes, people do need a license and registration to operate a car but that doesn't stop the carnage. I'm more fearful of a teen girl who just got her license and is texting while driving to tell her friends how great it is. Not to mention drunks, old people whose reflexes are in slow motion, or people distracted by food, phones kids, etc. Regulation doesn't make people responsible, severe punishments do and people who kill cyclists with cars are more often than not off scot-free. I think a lack of education, lack of social services, rampant poverty, lack of personal responsibility and concern for others, greed, etc is the greatest threat to our society. Look at the state of Vermont. It has the second lowest crime rate in the US and some of the softest gun laws in the country and widespread gun ownership. Obviously something beside gun regulation is keeping crime down.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   

I read, participated, and followed that same thread for quite awhile.. And noticed how the Original post kept degenerating into an argument for/against gun ownership..

I wish that I had known about this thread earlier.. I had mentioned in the other thread, that one thing that alot of Europeans seem to have difficulty grasping is the simple fact that the right to bear arms is in the U.S. constitution...

In other words it is written down, stated and ratified. that we are allowed to have guns... No other Country that I am aware of has such a provision for the ordinary citizen..

Another, that is just as important if not more so, is the 1st ammendment.. again, It is a "right" that is written down, stated, and ratified. That we are allowed to peaceably gather and pretty much speak our minds...

Once again, I know of no other Country that has such a provision for the ordinary citizen.. But, I do not hear a whole lot of Europeans, or even U.S. citizens arguing about abolishing the 1st ammendment, or even asking if it may be outdated, and have no relevance anymore..

My point has always been. relevent or not, the 2nd ammendment is part of our constitution. So therefore, Like it or not, U.S. (American) citizens CAN have guns.. And also Under the 1st, I can say that!!!! LOL

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   
The simplest of facts is that having a gun in your posession is an advantage over others that can be used with deadly effect.
Those who don't think that advantage is fair will find any reason they can to take that advantage from you. All of the debate is secondary. They simply want to remove your advantage.
You don't need to use that advantage but giving up that advantage is unwise in the extreme.

The rest is a big steaming pile of opinion.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 02:10 AM
link   
I tend to chime in on most of the topics that relate to the gun argument to remind people, both American and otherwise, that gun ownership is not about hunting or sport.

The 2nd amendment was written so that when push comes to shove, we can march on Washington and put a few bullets in the brains of the unworthy who have robbed us of our freedoms... and that's why we own guns.

Not just to defend ourselves from common criminals, but to defend ourselves from people who claim to be looking out for us, but are actually the true criminals.

It's not about subsistence or feeding your family, as it has been stated we all eat somewhat well...

It's about the price of Freedom being eternal Vigilance.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join