It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How will either candidate handle Congress's current approval rating?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I have thought about this topic for awhile now...And wanted to throw it out there...

If the Democrats control the House, and an equal number of Democrats and Republicans control the Senate, and the Public is dissatisfied with both Democrats (According to one article below, Democratic voters are criticizing Congress more than the Republicans...Yet the Democrats control the House) and Republicans job performance...

How will either Obama or McCain make a difference once elected President?

How many Democrats, Republicans and Independents are currently serving in Congress?

As the 110th Congress was sworn in on January 4th, the Senate was made up of 49 Democrats, 49 Republicans and two Independents who caucus with the Democrats, which gives Democrats a slim majority. In the House, there are currently 233 Democrats and 202 Republicans.

www.house.gov...

WASHINGTON — Congressional job approval ratings have sunk to their lowest point in three decades, according to the latest Gallup Poll.
A survey of 1,016 adults taken July 10-13 found that 14% approve of the job Congress is doing. That's half President Bush's record low 28% job approval number, and the lowest congressional rating since Gallup first began asking the question in 1974.

www.usatoday.com...

The most recent decline comes almost exclusively from Democrats, whose approval of Congress fell from 23% in June to 11% in July, while independents’ and Republicans’ views of Congress did not change much. As a result, Republicans are now slightly more likely than Democrats to approve of the job the Democratic-controlled Congress is doing (19% vs. 11%)..

rightvoices.com... congressional-job-approval-rating-in-the-34-year-gallup-poll-history-of-asking-t/

Personally, and as an Independent, I think that Obama has the best shot, right now, at making a difference because his party controls Congress at the moment...

But what happens when the public votes the Democrats out of office?

Will we have another "Lame Duck" presidency?

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Neither candidate wins. Obama might have the edge. However I feel like Pelosi and Reid will be more inclined to pass legislation they see fit no matter who is president. Pelosi had released her legislative agenda for 2009 and one would think it would parallel Obama's but it doesn't. If Obama wins it will be interesting to see the disagreements between Pelosi and Obama. I just see pelosi as a very narrow minded person who is very opinionated in her views.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Agreed...she has already stated that the Democrats expect Obama to win and she may call Congress back to session...

To pass legislation that they have ALREADY decided to propose...

WASHINGTON (AP) - After consulting with Barack Obama, Democratic
leaders are likely to call Congress back to work after the election in
hopes of passing legislation that would include extended jobless
benefits, money for food stamps and possibly a tax rebate, officials
said Saturday.

groups.google.com...

The reason she is doing this is from the same article:

It often takes two or three months for a new
Congress to begin turning out legislation, particularly when a new
president is settling into the White House.

It makes sense why...but I think it is pretty assumptive on her part...

And, do we not believe that Obama has a lot of "paybacks" to honor?

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   
We'll see if Obama even makes it to election say. If Phillip Berg has a say in it, Obama won't.

www.obamacrimes.com...

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I wasn't aware of this lawsuit...Funny thing is that I worked in the Electronic Discovery industry in Philadelphia and know Berg...

This is definitely a "wow," but will the court uphold Obama's motion to dismiss????

Thanks for the info...

top topics

join