It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possibly the "SADDEST" documentary ever made....

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cythraul
Agree with all your points, but I'm not sure the OP or video were trying to suggest that this represents the farming industry (haven't watched the video so I might be wrong), just that it represents the very real, significantly widespread, negative side of the farming industry. Most people think all farming is quite humane, maybe a bit cramped but nothing horrifying. The extreme terrible side of it is largely unknown to most people and I'm glad it's being brought to people's attention. Sure, there'll always be people who can watch a video like that and see nothing wrong with it - but I'll not waste my words saying what I think about those soulless human beings
. Meat doesn't (and shouldn't ever) have to = cruelty and sadism. [/quote

Actually the video starts with the phrase "industry standards" and so yes it's claiming to show the majority of farming practices. I should maybe point out that here in the UK, some of these practices are actually illegal. I'm wondering if they're legal in the USA? I know for a fact that PETA and other organisations have used footage of illegal farming practices to further their cause. I seem to recall someone from PETA using footage froma polish farm and passing it off as american. I'll try and find a link for that to back it up

PETA for example love to have a go at veal farmers, yet here in the UK veal farming is very humane. They are not chained to the floor, kept in dark cabins and fed milk. This is a myth put aobut by animal rights activists. It may go on in other countries but not here in the UK, at least not legally.

I think you're slightly naieve though, to feed the world requires some horrible practices. Battery farming chickens is absolutely awful and yet required to provide the eggs the world needs. I personally don't buy eggs from battery chickens because i visited battery farms and was horrified. Luckily my local farm has free range eggs and if i buy them direct they're cheaper anyway

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by TXMACHINEGUNDLR
I will still eat meat, own dogs, and not give a damn about the eco nuts.....That is my truth...Oh and just for that video I am going to slowly cut down my Christmas tree.

You sir, are a hypocrite. You can not even follow the advice of the quote you have in your signature.

“Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.”
Winston Churchill

You made that statement like it was some badge of honor, like you were proud that you feel this way. You, sadly, are a true human being (refer to my previous post for further clarification of this statement), the kind that gives us all a bad name.

All I can say is you need to have the "courage" to sit down and listen to the suffering in the animal kingdom. Listen to the suffering of the people who have seen this video. I can only hope that one day you have the "courage" to admit the ignorance of your statement. I bet you did not even have the "courage" to watch that video in its entirety. You sir, are a coward.

[edit on 13-10-2008 by BluegrassRevolutionary]

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 05:56 AM
link   
You show you care more about animals than people, congrats. People like me you make into the enemy when we care more about people than you. Anyone that values animals above people is an animal themselves. I like how you think you have such high values in your protection of animals yet you say you wouldn't feed someone with an opinion like mine, and hope all people that do, die. Great ethics there, Hitler would be proud.

You make me sick!! How can anyone say someone is like Hitler just because they have love and compassion for animals. Just because you have authority and power over something does NOT give you the right to harm or kill it. Shame on you- as you are the animal here.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984
I think you're slightly naieve though, to feed the world requires some horrible practices.

Naivety or Idealism? To feed a healthy world population does not require factory farming in an ideal world. We made natural killing/farming work for far longer than modern factory farming. But then again, I'm somewhat of a Primitivist.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by LostChildrenOfBabylon
After watching a movie like this it just really enforces my belief that humanity should be wiped off the face of this earth. We cannot let this continue. 1% of our population controls 40% of the world...

To be honest I find it surprising that more people don't know about how animals are treated. I eat meat but I do so knowing how it arrives to me in a packet. If people are so appalled by the way in which animals are treated, which tends to boil down to the economic principles of delivering affordable food to people, then they should not eat meat, eggs or consume dairy products; or they should be willing to pay more for their food so that animals can be treated more fairly.

If you don't want this to continue then the only way to stop what is happening is to reduce demand for animal products. The only way to do that is to stop eating and using animal derived products. The only problem here is that in doing so, since a huge majority of global population is extremely poor, where there is little water and an excess of sunshine, the human population will die without their goats and other animals. They depend upon animals to co-exist.

The problem really isn't a simple one and wiping out the totality of the human population on earth is probably not a good solution. That's a quite singularly bad idea.

Many Regards,

Tytanius

[edit on 13-10-2008 by Tytanius]

Mod edit: Video link removed. -- Majic

[edit on 10/16/2008 by Majic]

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cythraul
Naivety or Idealism? To feed a healthy world population does not require factory farming in an ideal world. We made natural killing/farming work for far longer than modern factory farming. But then again, I'm somewhat of a Primitivist.

Well that undermines your arguement by being a primitivist. When you say we used to do it without these methods, that was before we had 6 billion people on this earth. I should point out that if we had say, 1 billion people, then we could use natural farming methods and all live very well. I will yield however to your idea that you are being idealist rather than naieve.

However whilst i love your idealism, i have to be logical about the current situation.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Animals deserve more respect, and nature too.
Because we take everything that we need from nature, and animals.
As soon as we forget what is keeping us alive, we soon end up destroying humanity. In fact i have more sympathy for live stock than for most people in the white house. If the ecosystem collapses, we all be begging for god to save us.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by LostChildrenOfBabylon

For every cute furry animal that we hurt or kill there are countless ugly animals killed by other animals. All of the animal kingdom is cruel. The only difference is that humans have a conscience and either get neurotic about it or find means to conceal the cruel truth from themselves, while other carnivores simply enjoy their kill.

-rrr

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by ghaleon12
reply to post by _Phoenix_

A cow can't tell the difference between a knife going into its throat or a wolf ripping its jugular. So what makes humanity bad because of this? The cow dies either way.

Some of you care more about animals than people, and its disgusting. I'd rather see an animal die so a human can live.

Starred, pal. We are at the top of the food chain.... deal with it people.

I've been a member of PETA for decades
People
Eating
Tasty
Animals.

If you dont wanna eat'em... fine.. I'm hungry for some KFC chicken now..

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Isn't there a billion people a day that don't get enough food to live . I do agree there should be more humane ways of killing animals. But id love to hear a plan to feed 6billion people on veggies alone?? We cant even meet world food grain needs because people are running there cars on it.

I respect a persons right to be a vegetarian but i hate when they preach meat is murder. We as humans need to consume food to live , yet in a world with so much starvation people need to be more realistic . thanks for your time

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984
Well that undermines your arguement by being a primitivist.

I don't quite understand how it does. Care to elaborate?

Originally posted by rickyrrr
For every cute furry animal that we hurt or kill there are countless ugly animals killed by other animals. All of the animal kingdom is cruel. The only difference is that humans have a conscience and either get neurotic about it or find means to conceal the cruel truth from themselves, while other carnivores simply enjoy their kill.

There's a big difference between killing an animal in an efficient, natural manner and taking joy in bashing it over the head for several minutes with a blunt object whilst laughing or grinning with joy. Animal predators kill through necessity in an efficient, evolved way. Humans SHOULD do the same. Our issue is with those skinning animals alive, kosher and halal methods, seal-clubbing, fox-hunting... basically - sadism.

[edit on 13/10/2008 by Cythraul]

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Jesus Christ. I just watched most of it.. then at around the 55minute mark I saw something that will probably haunt me forever. Unbelievable.

Excuse me whilst I go and throw up.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Good to see this documentary show up here again! When I first saw it, I too cried like a baby. VERY well made IMHO. This video was the final nail in the coffin of my meat eating days. I feel great not eating animals...there's really no need. But what I always find interesting is how people will defend, to the death, the fact that "God gave me sharp teeth and they're meant for meat" or "I'm smarter than an animal and so that animal deserves to be on my plate". It's very sad. I think when people counter argue against seeing something so brutal and soulless, they're simply doing it to justify their belly. I've given up sharing videos like this because people just don't wanna see and hear how their bacon got to their gut. Sad we live in such a world of accepted brutality...

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by rickyrrr

Nature isn't cruel.
An animal (humans exempt) never kills for pleasure or fun, and only kills for need. Take for example, a large wild cat, like a lioness (because male lions don't hunt) or a cheetah. They hunt for their prey and go straight for the neck. They ensure they have a complete kill and nothing less, and their efficiency and lethality make the methods we use in our slaughter houses look primitive.

They don't subject their prey to conditions we subject our "food" to. Not even close. Let me put it in this way; death by cheetah is much more humane than death in a slaughter house, and why is that? Because a cheetah will snap your neck and you're pretty much done when that happens, pain-free. In contrast, in a slaughter house you'd be shot at the base of the skull and you won't always die from that. Then your throat will be slit, you will bleed and you're still alive. While this is all happening, nerves will shoot out electrical impulses to your brain and that will manifest itself as pain.
Heck, even spider has the decency to numb it's prey with its venom before it gets eaten.

So, don't even compare our ways of slaughtering animals to nature's way.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_

Originally posted by ghaleon12
Who cares about animals, we have humans that are dieing and being abused. That's a little more concerning for me. Tears are wasted on animals, once we can help all humans, then we can worry about the animals.

You are wrong. It's the "who cares about animals" attitude that makes humanity worse.

And so you never kill a mosquito or an ant or a spider? Or an annoying little fruitfly? Be honest.
Where do you draw the line?

It turns out that while farmers grow enough food to feed the world, commodity speculators and huge grain traders like Cargill control the global food prices and distribution. Starvation is profitable for corporations when demands for food push the prices up. Cargill announced that profits for commodity trading for the first quarter of 2008 were 86% above 2007.
World food prices grew 22% from June 2007 to June 2008 and a significant portion of the increase was propelled by the $175 billion invested in commodity futures that speculate on price instead of seeking to feed the hungry.

Just so you know..

[edit on 13-10-2008 by Slagroom]

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

There's a reason why countries wealthier countries are wealthy, and that is that we don't bear the consequences of overpopulation. We have sufficient resources, grains, fruits, meat and such that we don't have mass starvation. However, countries that are less developed have a problem with the balance between resources and mouths to feed. It might seem cruel but irresponsibility and neglect lead us to overpopulation. And unless we develop some way of synthesizing essential nutrients, people should stop reproducing or limit to having one child because honestly, if we're seeing so many people dying off because of starvation with our limited resources and we're only at around 6 billion, I don't even want to think of the staggering numbers when the population is +8 billion.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 08:13 AM
link   
You know it all comes down to this: You are part of the problem. To you the OP I say the same thing i say to all the other humanity haters that think we need to be extinct. SET THE EXAMPLE PLEASE. No really, why not you first.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Eighty59
I've given up sharing videos like this because people just don't wanna see and hear how their bacon got to their gut. Sad we live in such a world of accepted brutality...

Not that I'm particularly pro-active in trying to promote animal rights (I wish I had the time), but if someone else hadn't shared this video with you, you might still just about be eating meat, right? You could share this video with 100 people and 99 of them might turn a blind eye, but it's worth it for that 1 person who gets a wake-up call and might choose to reject cruel methods of food production.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by PuRe EnErGy
Complain complain, .. but never about the real problem... MONEY.

Dammit people, wake up and look around you, it has poisoned EVERYTHING it touches, and it has damn near touched everything, I wouldn't consider myself to be religious at all, but dammit, where's Jesus when you need him ... he over turned the money changers tables, even if it was just a story we need someone like that today, the endless problems that money causes, you can tell those who like to delete, distort, and generalize the issues in THIS video because they are so far from reality it is sad, if you cannot see that this is unnecessary cruelty to animals (for profit) than your reality tunnel is truly inescapable.

This is why I support a high-tech, resource-based economy.

To grasp this better, see:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

and

www.abovetopsecret.com...

We are at a point in our history where we can have technology to do all the stuff we do not want to do. This is a new place for the human race. Whereas before we relied on our own labors to support The System, we now have the option of "enslaving" the machines rather than ourselves.

Today, we have PLENTY to go around - to all people in all nations. It's just VERY badly managed (because of money - The System), and we are held in a paradigm of scarcity.

Were we to cast off our slave-shackles to the machines, money would become moot. We would be freed to follow our bliss. If research is our bliss, we can research. If we love to paint, we can paint. And never have to worry about food, clothing, shelter, love, tools.

Abolish money and there is no incentive to suppress technology, there is no incentive to oppress, there is no incentive to hunt for patentable "medicines" instead of cures...

"Greed" becomes meaningless.

Take a look, and consider this alternative.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Meat is Murder! MMMM Murder! Nom Nom Nom

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join