It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sherrif Begins Taking Away Concealed Weapons Permits

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Heike

Very well written, thank you. If I could, I'd give you more than one star.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Finn1916

However, when I move to the great state of Texas next year, do plan on open carrying, since they allow it.

I hate to tell you this, but as great as Texas is we currently do not allow open carry. That is unless the laws have changed in the last few days and I didn't notice.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Sanitys Last Day

Open carry is not legal in Texas in most cases heres the statute:

tlo2.tlc.state.tx.us...

as usual the language is a bit convuluted but here it is.

Zindo

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by ZindoDoone

That is absolutely correct. The one forward step we have made semi-recently is this section of chapter 46:

(a-1) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun in a motor vehicle that is owned by the person or under the person's control at any time in which:
(1) the handgun is in plain view; or
(2) the person is:
(A) engaged in criminal activity, other than a Class C misdemeanor that is a violation of a law or ordinance regulating traffic;
(B) prohibited by law from possessing a firearm; or
(C) a member of a criminal street gang, as defined by Section 71.01.

Chapter 46 of Texas Penal Code

This basically allows us to carry a hand gun while driving any distance as long as you don't violate the limitations listed above. Previous to this you had to be under the definition of "traveling" in order to carry a hand gun in the car (unless you were going to the range or something of the like). Traveling meant you had to be going at least 150 miles from home as well as other vague stipulations.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Anyone else see the humor in people talking about the freedom to carry openly while at the same time talking about what they are "allowed" to do?

Shall not be infringed is very clear.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 09:25 AM
link   
This is the reason we should not register all our guns because they cant take what you supossedly dont have right????

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Constitutional Scholar

That is absolutely true but, untill we have enough of our populace that believes this fact and has the gumption to make sure their local authorities understand this principil or be dealt with harshly (thrown out of office), we at least have the right to jump through hoops to have self defense.Even though its aborent to most of us!

Zindo

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I was born in Kansas, which had an open carry law.

To allow concealed carry they instituted the "class, registration license" scheme.

You are right Constitutional Scholar that the irony of espousing what one can and cannot "do" in light of "shall not be infringed" is a prime example of enroachment and erosion of the right.

Todd Tihart, congressman from Kansas, would have his statute stricken first thing if BHO and Biden get elected.

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Etymology: Medieval Latin infringere, from Latin, to break, crush, from in- + frangere to break — more at break

transitive verb
1: to encroach upon in a way that violates law or the rights of another
2obsolete : defeat , frustrate
intransitive verb
: encroach —used with on or upon

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by fmcanarney

As a fellow Kansan ( Born there Also) it always amazed me that I could wonder around with a revolver on my hip openly with no problems, but as soon as I shoved my shortgun into my back pocket to go out at night I was considered a criminal. I was on a coyote hunt east of El Dorado when a Butler county mountie stopped us to inspect our car. I always carried a short barreled .22 so I could dispatch wounded without wasting money, and had it in my vest pocket. He got his panties in a wad and was going to arrest me for concealed carry. I informed him that if he could see the butt of the pistol, then I wasn't carrying concealed. Open carry will be attacked very shortly if Obama and his gang are the majority. Tihart is trying his level best and I hope he continues the good fight for Kansans!
Zindo

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 12:51 PM
link   
At last, evidence of a genuine conspiracy, the one that is rampant in California and that is intent on taking away our second amendment liberties.

One day, far in the future, I fear that no American will be allowed to own a firearm.

Those people will look back in history at apparently minor events such as this one, and they will say "that's where it started, if only they knew what was coming".

And something is coming.

I'm proud and I'm very happy to live in America, and I will do everything that is legally within my power to ensure that future generations will be able to make that same statement.

Keep your firearms, keep your freedom, keep your happiness.

They are all part of the same thing.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 02:04 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Disclaimer: I don't own any firearms. I haven't felt the need.

If I owned a firearm, I would not get a concealed weapons permit (as it is called here). I would only carry it openly as Constitutionally guaranteed.

Getting a permit put my name in database that could be used to pick up weapons should the "progressives" wish to disarm the citizens.

If Obama wins, I will feel the need to go shopping. Actually, I have already been monitoring the "sporting goods" prices in the newspaper.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Merriman Weir

there are two different classifications of states when it comes to ccdw.

"shall or must" issue states are required by law to issue the permits to qualified individuals,period. take the class,pay the fees,pass the test get the permit,done deal.

"may issue" states i believe they are called, states like california, leave it up to law enforcement to decide if they want to give a ccdw permit even to qualified individuals. so you may jump through all the hoops,pay all the fees and still be denied,or delayed.

to the poster who asked why the ccdw is necessary if the right to bear arms is guaranteed by the constitution. this is actually very simple.you dont need the permit to carry a gun.you only need the permit to carry a gun concealed. carry a gun all you want,just dont have it hidden,no permit needed.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   
AIPAC funding the county sheriff ?

Is his name Goldstein or Silverstein.

Nothing anti-semite about calling out AIPAC who had a fit when D.C. & Chicago overuled gun bans .

Is AIPAC feeling the heat finally ?

Black Nobility in Europe, use the Jews in Hollywood and Politicians as their front men ie
AIPAC
JINSA
DHS
PNAC
AIE & HERITAGE FOUNDATIONS

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Tiloke

reply to post by Tiloke

Hi Tiloke,

I think the statistics have more to do with cramming far too many humans into teeming cities, whereas Colorado doesn't have that problem yet.

A Christian in California

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 09:28 PM
link   
"I would not get a concealed weapons permit (as it is called here). I would only carry it openly as Constitutionally guaranteed."

The bill of Rights was not written to "guarantee" and of the rights it lists.
The Bill of Rights was written to "Enumerate" certain inalienable rights.

Inalienable rights are not guaranteed, they are natural or inborn rights.
Inalienable rights are possessed by persons whether they are written down or not.

They originate from the fact that humans have free will and free personalities, even if they become enslaved by someone more powerful.

The inalienable right to keep and bear arms certainly does "guarantee" the remainder of the rights enumerated in the Bill of Rights though.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 09:50 PM
link   
I'm reminded of a friend from many years ago who said that he "never felt the need to own an assault rifle until they made them illegal."

If they're in a hurry to take these things away...maybe we should be in a hurry to acquire them.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Man, this is almost scary. I know Merriman already mentioned it, but it really does seem like they are slowly abandoning the rights guaranteed us by the Constitution in a manner befitting a gradual switch to totalitarianism or something of the like. Hell, look at all the censorship/"political correctness" regulations the government is imposing on all the different forms of media.
This is what happens when the uninformed, ignorant masses don't see how convoluted and corrupt this crapheap that was formerly a respectable government has become.

-EDIT- Oh, and by the way, does anyone know much about laws in Ohio relating to carrying a fixed blade knife (i.e. a KA-BAR or something similar) in public? I've tried to read up on it myself, but seeing as I'm not fluent in Lawyerese, I had a tough time figuring out if whoever wrote it even had a specific point in mind. Any input is greatly appreciated!

[edit on 19-10-2008 by Hawker9]

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 08:40 PM
link   
definition of INFRINGE:

infringe
verb: =break, violate, contravene, disobey, transgress
infringe on or upon:= intrude on, compromise, undermine, limit, weaken, diminish, disrupt, curb, encroach on, trespass on
Collins Essential Thesaurus 2nd Edition 2006 © HarperCollins Publishers 2005, 2

Infringement of the inalienable right to bear and keep arms is already occurring.

I am glad the Second amendment does not say operating arms, else we
would have to check out firing pins in and out of the local constabulatory.

Or some other essential piece of the firearm. That will be one of the next proposal.

The word fringe means the edges, like the fringe on a blanket or shawl.

Look at the third definition below:

fringe (frnj)
n.
1. A decorative border or edging of hanging threads, cords, or strips, often attached to a separate band.
2. Something that resembles such a border or edging.
3. A marginal, peripheral, or secondary part: "They like to hang out on the geographical fringes, the seedy outposts" James Atlas.
4. Those members of a group or political party holding extreme views: the lunatic fringe.
5. Any of the light or dark bands produced by the diffraction or interference of light.
6. A fringe benefit.

A marginal, peripheral, or secondary part: in reference to an arm that would be the magazine, firing mechanism, (semi auto, fully auto), ammunition, how it is born (to bear) concealed, openly carried, loaded, unloaded, and how it is kept, (locked away, disassembled, stored away from children, with barrel lug, with barrel plug, in a safe, in the trunk, glove box, away from reach of driver, in case, in locked box.

The infringement is and has been happening as there are laws, regulations and statutes that deal with all or many of these peripheral marginal and secondary parts of the main issue: TO keep and bear arms.

All of you are currently violating some or one of these many enroachments upon liberty.
So infringement does not strike the core issue of the arm, it concentrates on the peripheral, fringe, secondary aspects and components of the primary right to keep and bear arms.

[edit on 20-10-2008 by fmcanarney]

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 12:22 AM
link   
they revoked permits to carry concealed weapons of people that attempted to respect the laws. well if we could just get the thieves, rapists and armed robbers to respect the law. if gov't tries to take my guns then I'll be a one-man Waco. i heard from a friend from China and now in US that the fact so many Americans possess firearms worries the PRC politicians as much as our our nukes. To keep the ball rolling I told him just about every American has at least one gun and most have at least one for every teenage and adult member of the household. His eyes got big. Then I informed him that even rich liberals who claim they do not believe citizens should possess gun hire armed bodyguards. Shock and awe!

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join