It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia's Medvedev test fires long-range missile

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Russia's Medvedev test fires long-range missile

www.reuters.com

A Reuters reporter said the truck-mounted Topol was fired at 3:23 a.m. EDT in drizzling rain from the Plesetsk cosmodrome, which is nestled among the taiga forests of Russia's north.

Half an hour later it hit the Kura testing site, 6000 km (3700 miles) away on the Kamchatka peninsula in the Pacific.

The RS-12M Topol, called the SS-25 Sickle by NATO, has a maximum range of 10,000 km (6,125 miles).
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Ouch! That missile defense shield is pointless against this new missile. I mean, it travels faster than a bullet, and can reach anywhere in the world...

Hmmm... that kind of sounds like the stuff John Titor was talking about (need the alternative slant here... I mean, this is an "alternative" news board here...).

Can anyone get that John Titor quote and post it here? Thanks.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 10:00 AM
link   
To me this comes as no surprise. Russia, of course, had long range missiles for years, and an arsenal that actually surpassed that of the United States. Keep in mind they did detonate the most powerful nuclear explosion ever, NOT the USA.

However, when analysts and officials talk about Russia they make a habit of speaking in past tense. Russia used to have this, Russia used to be capable of that.

It appears that since Medvedev has come into office he and Putin are on a crusade to remove that past tense. I believe we will see more tests, more war games, more saber rattling, and more diplomatic spats.

Russia does not want to be seen as a has-been anymore.

Could this escalate into something major? Well... I'm no prophet, nor do I play one on TV, but it certainly is a possibility.

join