It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Am I in trouble ?:Is this hacking ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 07:07 AM
link   
I found a video on youtube describing how to find directories online which contain mp3/mp4/avi/mpeg/etc. I done what it said except I searched for Nasa. I found this page people.nas.nasa.gov...

and I downloaded one of the videos, the 11Mb file (the only 11Mb file) and it was a video with some red things and a black background. I thought it may be a graphic or something. I'm worried that I may be in trouble for going there/doing that. Please check it out or something.

[edit on 12-10-2008 by trilateral_insignia]

[edit on 12-10-2008 by trilateral_insignia]

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 07:12 AM
link   
i'm assuming you used the 'index of' +mpeg type search function.

it's not hacking. if nasa didn't want you to access a directory you wouldn't get in with that search parameter

[edit on 12-10-2008 by justyc]

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by justyc

*phew*

thanks!!

did you check out that video/graphic ? or anything else ? Now I'm gonna check some others out.

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by trilateral_insignia

yeah i had a look at the file. it's probably just someone's animation of how some astronomical thing forms together (i'm not an astronomer hence the lack of whatever technical term should be used there :lol

let us know if you find anything interesting in the rest of the folder though

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Yes, don't worry about it. There would only be an issue if you had actually "actively" circumvented any security measures. Clearly you didn't run any scripts or anything and the content is available directly over the Internet.

If NASA wanted to secure something, they would stick it behind a few pairs of firewalls with appropriate access control lists and intrusion detection.

You'd soon know if you'd done something wrong as your IP address can be traced directly to you via your ISP AAA records.

Don't worry.

Many Regards,

Tytanius.

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 07:56 AM
link   

the first reply summed it up good.

basicly if you can get it on google, its not hacking, just shows a bit of knowlage .

search engines are full of hidden ways to search for stuff

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 06:34 AM
link   

What you found was a simple personal page for....

Christopher E. Henze
Organization: NASA Ames Research Center
Telephone: 650-604-3959
Email address: [email protected]

He is in the NASA Supercomputing division at the Ames Research Center. If you were really hacking (or even remotely thought like one) you would have been looking at the text at the bottom of the screen where you got the above information, and been trying to find out what exploits there are out there for Apache servers, etc. Rest assured, if they did not want you to see it, you would not, unless you knew what you were doing. If you think that manipulating Google to give you hidden information is considered hacking......well, lets just say it is not. It can be used to get information that can help an individual, ie: reconaissance, footprinting, etc.

top topics

join