It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is intelligence to you?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 11:49 PM
link   
I have come across many topics recently speaking of IQ being it dumbed down or how do people think with a high IQ.

My views are that an IQ test is a way of scoring peoples memory in a manner that assesses your ability to remember textbook education and events.

I also believe that it is an attempt to label the average person to say the least.

I do not think that IQ can overcome life experience. The fact that someones interest might also conflict with an IQ test as it gives a reading that is inaccurate as they may not able to pay attention.

I was tested in my academy and achieved an IQ of 180 at the time to give background.

I really think it is time that we acknowledge intelligence on an individual basis rather than collectively labelllng people in comparison with the thoughts of other scientific achievers.

What do you guys think?

[edit on 11-10-2008 by XXXN3O]

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 12:08 AM
link   
I agree,there is a standard here and there are many types of intelligence naturally in men, people who have great memories are intelligent,mathematicians are intelligent,scientist etc.. all think differently,as will our answers to this question
Elephants,chimps,dolphins etc are viewed as intelligent,and as in the animal kingdom,to me it is not what you know it is what you do with what you know,so i tend to see it in the broader aspects, man is practically stupid compared to the natural world ,as we destroy that which makes us live.
www.youtube.com...
Ants Bridge Engineering- www.youtube.com...

[edit on 12-10-2008 by all2human]

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

Personally I think that common sense is a little more important then book smarts (most the time any way). I work in a hospital with many highly intelligent doctors who perform brain surgeries and life saving operations all the time, but DAM are they dumb. I work in the kitchen/cafeteria right now and half of them can't figure out how to open a bread box, but a lid back on a soup pot, and can not for the life of them realize that maybe the dairy product on in a refrigerator and not in a hot container next to the ketchup.

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

IQ tests measure speed and deductive ability, they don't test your knowledge of events.

Some people have a very high IQ but can't remember a thing.

A score of 180? Very impressive, you are a genius technically.

[edit on 12/10/2008 by Sendran]

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

Doogie Howser defied all odds without--or little--experience, and being a doctor takes a lot of math and science and other knowledge of medical wigits...widgits. Wiggetts. Widgettes. Widjets...ah, forget it!

[edit on 12-10-2008 by pluckynoonez]

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 12:24 AM
link   

My views are that an IQ test is a way of scoring peoples memory in a manner that assesses your ability to remember textbook education and events.

I think you are correct. I’ve aced over 90% of the test I’ve taken in my life time; the other 10% was mainly Math or Chemistry test. I did my best with Biology, History, and English test. Even when it comes to topics I don’t understand as much or am not as well versed in I can usually ace them easily because I intake information easily and when I need to remember it I’ve always been able to retrieve the memories easily.

My brain seems to just work that way and this is an advantage for me when it comes to the topics I listed. However I have trouble sometimes comprehending minor mechanical instructions or instructions of that nature unless I look them over a few times, and I have trouble mirroring the instructions with my actions.

I can read books fairly quickly and write an “A” essay on them, but if I got lost in the wilderness I’d probably die because my mind doesn’t seem to be as resourceful as others and doesn’t come up with quick solutions to non-academic issues or problems.

I really think it is time that we acknowledge intelligence on an individual basis rather than collectively labelllng people in comparison with the thoughts of other scientific achievers.

I think we should change how we look at intelligence in the first place. Everyone intakes information and uses that information differently. Are you smarter than someone who didn’t pass the fourth grade and dropped out of school? It is likely many would assume, yes, that they are smarter than that person. This isn’t necessarily true though.

Having a good education makes a lot of out of reach things in this world tangible for people, I’m not knocking education, I’m just saying I think people put too much of an emphasis on education and intelligence, as if one does not exist with out the other. There are plenty of knowledgeable, smart, and wise people who do not fit within the current mold. And the mold is always changing, through history we have redefined the knowledge and skills one must have to be considered intelligent, and I don’t doubt we will continue to redefine such things, making technology a key element.

However I know amateur survivalist who are learning how to depend on their own abilities free of modern luxuries or technology and I’m sure if the you-know-what hits the fan and technology bites the dust or turns against us my computer science major friends are going to be running to the survivalist and will find their survivalist friend’s knowledge worth far more than a degree in computer science.

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 12:40 AM
link   
We all have genius in some levels, We are all different............And our brains and actions show just that. I guess tha great difference to some
is that thinkers use there brains and those that don't lose it.( use it or lose it).

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Howard Gardner has a theory based on this. I, as an early childhood educator, find it very useful in creating my curriculum.

Basically, the theory says that there is more than one way to be smart. He has identified 9 "intelligences" or areas where people are smart. They are:

Mathematical/Logical - very good at math, science, and logical subjects.
Musical - Constantly moving to a beat, making up new songs.
Kinesthetic - sports players, people who are constantly needing to move.
Spatial - puzzle lovers, very aware of surroundings and can tell you where everything is.
Naturalistic - know a lot about plants animals and nature.
Intrapersonal - Know themselves very well.
Interpersonal - Very social people.
Linguistic - Book smarts. Love to read and discuss their findings.
Existential - Higher level thinking. Ask questions like why are we here, is there a God?

Gardner believes that everyone has some of every intelligence, but we have stronger tendencies to certain ones. I really like this theory because it is a positive one. Instead of looking at the negatives and what children can't do you help them build their strengths in all of the areas.

There is a lot of information about this theory available on line and also some great tests to see what you are strong in.

new topics

top topics

join