It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cellphone tapping...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Ok, I just watched the 'Eagle Eye,' and they mentioned that a cell phone can be used as an eavesdropping device to listen in on you even when you're not on the phone. And technically, it is possible to hack ones cell phone and access the memory. In the 'movie,' they said that the only way to stop this, is to remove the batter.

So, there is the possibility that since phones now have gps, your movements can be monitored, but can we also be listened in on?

What do you guys think about the possibility of someone being able to eavesdrop on you via your cell phone?

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lionlee
Ok, I just watched the 'Eagle Eye,' and they mentioned that a cell phone can be used as an eavesdropping device to listen in on you even when you're not on the phone. And technically, it is possible to hack ones cell phone and access the memory. In the 'movie,' they said that the only way to stop this, is to remove the batter.

So, there is the possibility that since phones now have gps, your movements can be monitored, but can we also be listened in on?

What do you guys think about the possibility of someone being able to eavesdrop on you via your cell phone?

Ya this has been public knowledge for some time. The CIA/FBI actually used that exact method to make a case against New York mobsters. At any time they can turn the microphone on in your phone and either listen live, or save the information to be sent at a later time.

I once found a site that talked about this indepth but there are warning signs. This type of hack requires alot of power so the first thing you will notice is your phone is dying alot faster than normal. Also, your phone will be alot warmer then usual try pulling your back case off and feeling your battery, if you are being tapped "live" then it will be warm, if not hot.

You'll notice if you have a long conversation on your phone of perhaps 30 mins, it is remarkably hot. Thats because its been computing, and using power to send the information continually. So if you haven't been using your phone and it is dying fast, and above normal in heat. You may want to start asking why its continually sending information, then destroy the phone and get a new contract, preferably under a new name.

But to be completely technical, all tapping these days by the highest levels of the government is done by Voice Recognition. So a phone thats not even under your name or anything will automatically be recorded if your voice-print is flagged. Once you're flagged all phone calls made by you to practically anyone will be automatically recorded and logged for later review.

I once knew someone who worked for a private company that handled this work for parts of the Canadian Government. He said it was extremely scary what they were able to do.

So, if you are actually worried about being listened in on there are two options.

First option: Go and buy a pay-as-you-go, throw away phone and register it to any name. Second step, DO NOT EVER MAKE A PHONE CALL, if you truly are being watched, then now you're flagged and the phones IMEI number will be linked to you. Only use this phone for text messaging, preferably to other people who are using this option who aren't themselves linked to their own phone. ALSO, if you choose this option, and dont use this phone to ever receive or make a phone call, I suggest taking the phone apart and removing the microphone.

2nd option(For the very paranoid): Alot of companies these days offer 256bit (or higher) encrypted e-mails. You register one of these, get a blackberry (with obviously no assigned name, or at least a false one) open the blackberry, remove the speaker, and the microphone. When you get the blackberry, do not take a phone plan, take only a data plan, this phone will NOT be able to recieve or send any calls. Then simply e-mail other people on this exact same option.

Trust me, in this day and age these are the only two, TRUE, ways to be anonymous while communicating with a phone device.

[edit on 11-10-2008 by king9072]

[edit on 11-10-2008 by king9072]

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 11:50 PM
link   
I heard somewhere, can't remember by whom, that you don't even need to be on your cell phone in the midst of a call, for you to be listened to. Is this true?

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 11:57 PM
link   
I believe this is possible even with a regular old fashioned wall phone with a device called a infinity transducer so im sure cell phones and cordless phones everywhere could be used as a room bug quite easily with the proper equipment.

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 11:57 PM
link   
I have some friends here in DC who are using these phones:

sigillu

They seem to be very happy with the security.
It will set you back a few pennies though.

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 11:58 PM
link   
My phone shows ALL of those warning signs =(

Including things like:

I had 2/5 bars outside of my house, I was talking to a friend and as soon as I start talking about things like the NWO and/or other conspiracy related things, my phone automatically "Lost Connection." My friend said on his side, when it happens, he gets a weird sound he's never heard before.
Since then, when I send him text messages, if they involve something related to what used to get us disconnected, he says he just gets messages that say "message could not be viewed" or something along those lines.

Looks like I just got Red Listed.

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Thank you schrodingers dog. I will look into those. I have been leery of using mine sometimes and often tell folks to use the landline then but then that is not as good either and smoke signals are tooo obvious

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by BindareDundat

You are most welcome.

Good luck.

edit: make sure you've got something to hide, they run about $1600

[edit on 10/12/2008 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

And just a quick note to mention that these are really only 'effective as advertised' if both people, on each end of the conversation have one.

I don't see any details about how it helps with making calls to other brand cell-phones, although one would imaging that the internal 'firmware' is more secure from external hacking. However, since firmware access may be statutorily required, that's no guarantee either.

I would also venture to add that multiple individuals purchasing and using these, out of the blue, and forming a secure 'calling circle', might raise some attention somewhere...

Also, here's a source article for the FBI / Mafia / Cellphone thing:

FBI taps cell phone mic as eavesdropping tool

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 12:49 AM
link   
The same SEAL I talk about in these threads from occasion has told me before that he only uses pre paid phones. Told me that verizon was no good for your privacy. for what ever it's worth. this guy is pretty well accomplished so I believe he was telling me something true.

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 05:12 AM
link   
I'm not the overly paranoid sort, but I've noticed that my cellphone activates itself from time to time, by this I mean that the screen just lights up for no apparent reason, even while I nor anybody else is near it. Now whether this is because of a fault or it's being monitored I don't know, I just try to keep my conversation as boring as possible when I notice it happening, and leave it in another room if I'm discussing something I wouldn't want anybody eavesdropping on. (a sensible precaution for anybody these days )

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Ok, I just watched the 'Eagle Eye,' and they mentioned that a cell phone can be used as an eavesdropping device to listen in on you even when you're not on the phone. And technically, it is possible to hack ones cell phone and access the memory.

Just out of curiousity, what is held in the memory? Pictures and video texts and text texts and phone numbers called?

And to the person above me- my phone activates itself too. Often late at night. But it is old and on its last leg, so I usually dismiss it.

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by GetOutOfMyRabbitHole

Ok, I just watched the 'Eagle Eye,' and they mentioned that a cell phone can be used as an eavesdropping device to listen in on you even when you're not on the phone. And technically, it is possible to hack ones cell phone and access the memory.

Just out of curiousity, what is held in the memory? Pictures and video texts and text texts and phone numbers called?

And to the person above me- my phone activates itself too. Often late at night. But it is old and on its last leg, so I usually dismiss it.

OK Just a little tip cause I have seen you do this before I think, when you want to quote someone, after you press the Quote button and the reply window shows up. Include your message AFTER "/ quote" that way your reply will be seperated from the original persons message.

mmm though I answered the questions that keep getting asked, but thanks Mclean for posting that article thats exactly what I mentioned in my post. I wish that secure phone site would list their prices :S

[edit on 12-10-2008 by king9072]

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by king9072

If you're talking about the Sigillu phones they range from $1500 to $2000.

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
reply to post by king9072

If you're talking about the Sigillu phones they range from $1500 to $2000.

Hmm well, that seems comparible I assume a plan would be required on top of that.

The second option I mentioned is used by many people I know, most of them recieve a blackberry that works for approx. 10 months, no registered name, no mic, no speaker, no in or outgoing calls. Only PGP Encrypted emails, 256bit +.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Lionlee

Yeah, they can pretty much do whatever they want. Eavesdropping is one of the older methods used. It's too much work and takes too much time. Why not just use satelites to watch our every move? That's much more simple.

Have you ever played "The Sims"? Well, that's what we are. Sims.

new topics

top topics

join