It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Close to uncovering the purpose of life?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 10:09 PM
link   
I want to draw attention to these two threads that I have posted previously this year before I comment on the thread topic as it will give you a better understanding of my journey previously if read.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I made a decision in my teens which is by no means unique in that I wanted to gear my aspirations towards finding out the purpose of life as I believe it is one of the most challenging questions each and every one of us faces.

To explain this is rather difficult as part of the explanation involves the fact that language prevents this being told in a proper manner due to it being an experience to every individual.

I find myself wondering if it is best to just reference everything I have ever read, watched and learned to make it a clear path for others to walk but even that is just as or more difficult to put into threads to say the least.

Assuming you have read the original posts of each of the threads quoted above I want to quote a few things below first off,

The reward of virtue is to see Your face,
and on waking, to gaze my fill on Your likeness. —Psalm 17:5

Wake up, O sleeper,
rise from the dead,
and Christ will shine on you.
—St. Paul, Eph. 5:14, NIV

When asked if he was a man, an angel, or a god, the Buddha answered no to all of these, and then said, “I am awake.” —Anguttara Nikaya 4:36

From the unreal, lead me to the Real,
from darkness, lead me to light,
from death, lead me to immortality.
—Brihadaranyaka Upanishad

The question I want to ask if you understand these is what if life was a learning curve and the only real question you have to answer is are you ready? Have you learned enough yet?

I am not a religious person in terms of going to church, praying, meditation or reading texts etc.

I find myself wondering if every second we pretend to live is an invitation to join a greater being (your true self) and our life is an experience to prepare us.

The hard part is letting go of your attachments of course but there comes a time in everyones life where we have to let go of course through age, illness etc etc.

Its really strange for me as I was brought up to be christian and I turned from this as I asked why this was forced upon me from a young age and it all sort of makes sense the teachings I have been given from various people from different cultures that I have met in my life. I find myself having walked in a full circle over the last 10 years or more and coming right back to the start now full of what I can only describe as knowledge.The same feeling that every religion has its rights, wrongs and ultimately they mean the same thing. I think every religion appeals to different people now as only few truly understand each. I am not saying I am any religion but I am saying I now understand each now.

I think I am almost at the end of a journey and I think that the reason I have not reached it yet is because I still fear leaving. I think this is the final part of my jigsaw and I wish to share as much as I can to others in my life.

I thought I would share this and offer to answer any questions or at least attempt to.

I feel more at peace with myself than I have ever felt before and every time I try to question whats happening I fail to find a question that I cannot answer at least for the greater good.

I realise this is contradictory to some of the posts I have put on this site but this has only happened today through something I experienced.

Im trying to keep this short as I have been accused of being long winded before in topics such as this so if anyone wants me to elaborate or give more reference I will be more than happy to.

I now feel I can live my life for its purpose and be a do'er by nature instead of a questioner by nature. Freed from chains sort of speak. Only once I have done this will I be ready to answer the question of the answer I already have if that makes sense.

I am as always interested to hear of similar thoughts or contributions as i am a learner by nature.

[edit on 11-10-2008 by XXXN3O]

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

If you do not mind I would like to know who starred and flagged this thread as I am interested to know who may understand what I am feeling?

U2U me if you do not want to post.

Thanks

[edit on 11-10-2008 by XXXN3O]

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Look at another person... see the creator.

Look in the mirror... see the creator.

Look at the environment surrounding the mirror... see the creator.

We are the creator... and we learn through experience in order to better ourselves.

No matter how many lives it takes.

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Well, it is very interesting, your journey.

I do get that your understanding is evolving, and you are seeing through the illusions, which is wonderful. It is an exhilarating experience.

The part that stands out to me is the part where you say that you think you are close to ending your journey but fear leaving.

The mystic dies before dying. "You" the concept of you as an individual, as special and separate from others can depart, (or at least weaken) while you are still here.

It is the "death" (or better perhaps the release) of "your" face, that allows you to see the face of the Divine as one of your quotes alludes to.

When you realize "who" you really are, or, perhaps more honestly, when you realize who you are not, you begin to see wholly different images in the mirror.

I wonder, personally, if the purpose of life is knowable at all.

Consider this from the Rig Veda;

www.boloji.com...

Who really knows?
Who will here proclaim it?
Whence was it produced?
Whence is this creation?
The gods came afterwards, with the creation of this universe.
Who then knows whence it has arisen?

Whence this creation has arisen
– perhaps it formed itself, or perhaps it did not –
the One who looks down on it,
in the highest heaven, only He knows
or perhaps He does not know.

After all, the original "sin" which translates as "mistake" as well as its morally charged version, was to think that we could "know." To think that we could draw a line across something that was whole and wholly perfect as it was. Without duality, this or that, good or evil, what can oppose "knowing?" If the original state is non-dual, if the nature of the Divine is non-dual, how could knowing/not knowing exist sensibly at all?

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Purpose of life?

Well, on a basic level, the purpose of life is to perpetuate itself via division and reproduction that includes variation that can adapt to unforeseen changes in the environment. Keep shuffling the deck, with the idea that whatever happens, something will hopefully have the traits needed to survive it and keep going.

On a universal level, the purpose of life is expansion and inclusion. So eventually, all matter/energy in the universe is incorporated into a living system of some kind. Everything in all times and places is absorbed in a single consciousness. Existence and reality does not and cannot exist without a consciousness to observe it, collapsing the Heisenbergian quantum wave function. So this single consciousness that encompasses all matter and energy and space and time "wills" itself, and therefore the entire universe, into existence, from the future, into the past.

In any event, the trick here is to not assume time is as you perceive it, with a strict cause-and-effect structure, but more like an infinitely expanding Klein bottle, where conscious observation allows for differentiation between virtual and real quantum states in a trans-temporal matrix. And it's quite a trick!

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 01:09 AM
link   
HEy XXXN3O!

I wouldnt say you are close to uncovering the purpose of life...You completely uncovered

To me Your philosophy is exactly the same as mine, I believe this is all a learning curve and if you look around and see how people are against each other with so much racism and hate no wonder why God Sent us here to purify...and learn to love each other...

I also believe there are definetly other lifes after the current one and before , the whole point is to reach a goal and if you didnt reach enlightment you will keep coming here till you do...

Personally i dont even ask myself the purpose of life to me its been figured out for sometime now...

I wont go deeper into this just leave it as that, i dont like to disclose things like that just keep reading and using your head and you will keep conecting dots.

Peace

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

How can you generalize something as complex as the meaning of existence?

People create their own meanings
Everyone has the own unique complex meaning

Everyone has their dreams and in pursuit of those dreams they find self and when you find self you find meaning, with that being said you have just found the very meaning of your own existence.

Beliefs are so far spread that it makes no sense to come up with one clear answer for everyone.
Regardless of faith, spirituality or absence of faith it really doesn't matter
Things come and go and there is a good chance that every major religion today may not be around say 3 thousand years from now.

If i was an automaton I'd say the logical meaning would be procreation and expansion and acquiring sustenance.

However, we are human beings capable of imagining creating destroying repairing etc.

So really finding out who ones self is finds ones self meaning and ultimately they find existence

So I do not believe that there is but one simple answer because if you try to do that you lose your humanity and come across sounding robotic.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

If you read my OP I have never said that I can tell everyone the meaning of existence but I believe I am close to finding out the purpose of life.

Two very different topics.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 11:48 PM
link   
I do say that life is all about evolving... and I like the idea of 'all is one' every bit of matter is made up of vibrating energy.. at differing levels of reality..

there are energies attached to that , that affect how we react, there fore how we evolve..

all life seems to be about multiplying.. random connections.. more multiplying and growth.. mutating to assist in more learning .. increase potential for growth... nature celebrates the differences in all things... to ensure this.. to prevent further replication..cells are designed to mutate.. learn from experience.. add that memory ..as a knowledge base.. ability base to evolve further...

We have celebrations to commemorate our growth... old things.. though revered..looked upon fondly are not seen as destinations.. but grounding.. something to build on... God evolves with us...

the more we learn.. the more awareness.. the greater our appreciation of God and his gift of free will/ choice.. that facilitates growth...

When we get to staid... get in a rut.. boredom... God throws obstacles.. oportunities in our paths.. to encourage us to grow further.. offers intuition.. inspiration to assist with further growth....offers new paths...

I think wisdom is knowing.. we are at the source ..one.. yet radiate to the infinity... We can grow inward as well as outward... they each assist the other..feed each other... learn /grow with each .. combine rise to shine/manifest as inspiration ..then only to re enter like spiritual rain.. to feed us in both worlds... inner and outer...

interesting journey..

regards.. Crystal Sage..

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 12:42 AM
link   
I have come to confess. I did star and flag your thread. Why? Because I understand your feeling or perhaps my own version thereof.

Now, the most troublesome part that wearies me about attempting to search for a blanket explanation on the purpose of life is that once you have found an answer the next question becomes why is it not something else? and you are back were you began.

Personally I am more concerned with not taking IS-ness for granted. Any purpose to any part of that I can create for myself.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 01:37 AM
link   
first of all.. that was beautiful.. your completely right... one of my fellow mates.. who see exactly what i see.. its beautiful to see, yes you post it on this site out of fear your nor right.. same reason im on this site... just to re-assure myself. thats fine, tho. but okay. your correct... your going to do what your going to do... now riddle me this... have you ever felt like u were on this planet to do something?? have u ever felt like u were something that was going to be meaningfully devastating to people?? if u did, u obviously realise now u arent... unless u still are... but if u did, and u see now that your not... explain how that feels.... and what that means to you..

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 07:21 AM
link   
funnily enough I had a similar conversation today that started with the concept of truth being relative and ended in deep philosophical reasoning.

It ended somewhat in a line or two of latin. "Those fwom wome are a bwainy bunch!"

Cogito, Ergo sum. (I think, therefore I am)
---------------
Temet Nosce (Know Thyself)

So I reason thusly. I think, therefore I am, BUT, what am I?

The first is a statement of awareness. The second i believe is the destination.

Its my contention that we exist in the middle of those two sentences. We are aware, but we seek the end of the equation. I am not certain that we can ever reach our destination as there is always something more to learn, which may be the ultimate joke played on us mortals.

The purpose of life is a "truth" for us as individuals, and truths are relative to the individual depending on the perspective. For one the purpose of life is a scientific equation, a simple procreation and evolution statistic, and they play their part. For another its a spiritual philosophical journey, and they play their part in turn.

I would argue that both are correct, for each man or woman chasing their perceived purpose adds to the greater journey of improving our understanding of ourselves as sentient beings, the means and the route are unimportant, the destination is always the same, and its undeniable. Regardless of what we do in life, decisions, paths and mistakes, we know more about ourselves at 60 years old, than we do at 6.

What greater enigma does man have, than his own self.

Consider the possibility that even after death, we are just at the next stage of learning. The universe doesnt reveal itself all at once, and never as we expect.

Or. I'm totally wrong.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 07:27 PM
link   
I have always felt that I am here for a good purpose.

Despite many bad opportunities coming my way I still persisted and to this day I still feel that.

I have come to the realisation that the feeling I had was that something bad would come of my good if that makes sense.

I accept what I am going to do now and in a few years time I know I will get my bad for it because I am going to put my voice out for the people to keep it simple.

It is a challenge that I have to give as this is my purpose and I no longer fear what harm may come of it.

You speak of a contradiction but in your mind you know what your purpose truly is be it bad, good, indifferent?

A lot of people think to themselves I want to make a difference but never view it objectively in terms of I want to do a specific thing.

If you observe daily life though you will see the guy who picks up the litter, polishes the railings, sweeps up the mess and they will forever think that they failed to make a difference but they never failed they are making the difference. The people who make the difference are the people who are deemed ordinary people and the people that make the big differences could never do without them for this is the pillar that holds them high enough for others to see.

So be it bad or good you can never do without the people who are almost the same as you but never had the direction if you get me.

new topics

top topics

join