It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Far Cry 2

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I am denying boredom so I wanted to ask a question. Does Far Cry 2 seem too good to be true?
It has everything you could ever want in a shooter including an actual map editor, not some piece of crap like forge in Halo 3 where you go to a map and change the props around. It is exactly the same for all 3 consoles with minor interface and graphics differences. It is one of the most realistic shooters in a while and it also has gruesome scenes of you pulling shrapnel or bullets or resetting dislocated bones that make you want to cringe and look away. The AI doesn't seem to be top notch in terms of aggressiveness but maybe that just has to do w/ the difficulty level they had it on on the demos. You have a world 3 times bigger than Oblivion (50 sq KM!!!) that has no loading screens whatsoever, everything is streamed procedurally. You have 12 "buddy" characters 9 of which are playable (the men) and 3 female characters. The voice acting seems OK but not too great but that is something I can deal with. Graphics seem to be REALLY good for even the 360. The map editor gives you a plane that is .5x.5 km and lets you have over 40000 objects. It is really well optimised for all systems as well. It takes place in Africa because the tropics seemed too unexotic and mysterious anymore. There are no aliens because they wanted to stick with realism. And to top it all off you have propagation of fire as in you start a fire and it will burn anything burnable and will be affected by weather. I forgot to mention that there is a 24hr day night cycle that takes 6 real hours to complete (about 5 ingame seconds to every real second) and fully dynamic weather and clouds that are procedurally generated (NO SKYBOX!). I could go on and on. Check it out yourself on gametrailers.com.

So yeah, does Far Cry 2
seem too good to be true??? or will it be a letdown to all us gamers out there?

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Wow. I was debating on whether to get this game or not but you make it sound like a dream come true. My mind's made up now. Evil you!

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 04:24 AM
link   
I got it the day it came out.

Apart from some styles of the missions being repetitive, it is pretty much game of the year material.

It's fire effects / sheer scale / AI situational awareness etc. are all revolutionary. Only problem with the fire is that it seems to go out far too quickly.

If I throw 5 molotov cocktails into a field of dry grass I expect that fire to grow and spread for hours, maybe days. You get maybe 3 - 5 mins of good fire damage out of a really fire-prone area, but to me it doesn't seem enough.

The fire is extremely useful in combat though. At one point I was on the brink of death and any attempt to begin the healing process kept getting interrupted by pursuers, so i started a fire behind myself.

Not only did it shield me from view but it forced the guys following me to try to find an alternate route, which they never did, because they happened to be standing near an ammo dump which exploded soon after.

As far as system requirements go, anyone with a half-decent PC should be able to run it.

My computer wont run Crysis at all, yet it runs FC2 on High on a decent resolution.

Best piece of advice (I'm 90% through the game): take the main missions slowly.

Spend some time doing the radio tower / arms dealer / buddy missions and stuff to build up cash to get better gear. I sped through the storyline missions and by the time i was facing guys with rpgs etc. i still had the first weapons.

In short: GET THIS GAME OR HAVE A SAD HOLIDAY SEASON!

[edit on 27-10-2008 by fooffstarr]

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 03:08 AM
link   
yep yep and yep.

Definitely the next game on my list. Been scoping on that for a while now, but minimum requirements are a 3.2 ghz p4.
I got a 2.8 :bnghd: But at least they include a system checker right on their site that will test your system to see if you can run it before you buy it! How cool is that?

Watch those guys at Crytek/Ubisoft- some of the best games ever! Crysis was very cool, except I seemed to enjoy the more realistic parts instead of the aliens. Most of the maps are downright gorgeous, and when you first get into that alien environment pretty much blew me away. Awesome. So I know Far Cry 2 has got to be the bomb.

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Far Cry 2 is so amazing, I'm not really a gamer, especially not shooters, but the realism sucked me in.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 11:04 PM
link   
It's ok. A little repetitive, but what game isn't. I agree with the graphics being superb, no denying it. I was a little disappointed by how it seemed that no matter where I was, the AI would be able to peg me like I was wearing a bright red cap or something. The constant attacks while driving from place to place got old too. River travel is my preferred mode, looks great just cruising on the water, and the enemies are far less likely to follow you and attack.

But since it's called Far Cry, I couldn't help thinking how cool it would have been to have your Predator abilities from the original X-Box game in a map that size, that woulda been sweet.

It's a rental for me, but I'm sure that a lot of people would really enjoy it, and there is a lot of gameplay time so if you want a good African Merc game, it's worth the money.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 08:26 AM
link   
The graphics are nice, they hand gliders are cool I crashed when I finally got my hands on one. the AI is dumber than a stump. I finished the game. But this time around I'm not blow up the water pipes and I'm not going to blow the dynamite in the last mission this time I'm going to let the Jackal do it.
I was told if you blow the water pipes you lose an underground mission because the mine floods.
And whats with the malaria pills?

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 06:13 PM
link   
WHERE ARE MY DIAMONDS?!?

Love that game, full of rampage and love. I reckon Mega 64 could milk this for all of it's comedy glory.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Is it just me? I thought the game looked nice, but as far as the game itself, maybe a 4, at most.

cj6

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Farcry 2 is overrated!!!! Sure the environment is beautiful, the concept is great, but there isnt nearly enough to do! You've got this massive world to explore but there's nothing there, just the same old guard posts and gun shops over and over and over and over again....

Most of the weapons are completely useless, and why does it take almost a whole clip just to kill one guy?!?!?!?!?!? The whole "weapon condition" thing killed the whole experience, how does a gun get completely rusty in less than a day??? It's garbage!

The missions are disgustingly repetitive, all you do is go from point A to point B, blow something up, and kill some people over and over and over again......

Finding diamonds is ridiculous, most cases only have 1 or 2 diamonds so what's the point?

This game claims you can "play it how you want" which is totally untrue, you basically follow a set path through every mission unless you decide to help your "buddy" sabotage the mission, which pretty much gives you no extra rewards so your better off just sticking to the main objective.

Overall, this game is boring and dull, a massive map to explore with nothing to see. If you wanna play 50 hours or so of shooting the same enemies and blowing random stuff up...then sadly this game is for you. If you want a high quality FPS, go play Halo!!!!

...or play Fallout 3, it's the best game ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 11:53 PM
link   
I had a good play of it when it came out on PC and I felt it was rather sub standard compared to Crysis in terms of graphics..... esp becasue many people were saying that it looked just as good and preformed so much better..... what a let down that was.
I didnt like the graphics mainly because of the shaders that they didnt use.. I mean, half the time the guns looked like plastic and the environment looked rather flat (not a lot of consistancy in how the graphics looked). Some of the models were rather low res compared to some of the others. This was a bit of a let down for me.
This was all with everything turned up on full by the way.
I think it was mainly because a lot of people compared it to crysis (used bits of the same engine and such) so I automaticaly had high hopes for it.

But aside from the graphics I was rather impressed with the rest of the game - not my style tho.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
yep yep and yep.

Definitely the next game on my list. Been scoping on that for a while now, but minimum requirements are a 3.2 ghz p4.
I got a 2.8 :bnghd: But at least they include a system checker right on their site that will test your system to see if you can run it before you buy it! How cool is that?

Watch those guys at Crytek/Ubisoft- some of the best games ever! Crysis was very cool, except I seemed to enjoy the more realistic parts instead of the aliens. Most of the maps are downright gorgeous, and when you first get into that alien environment pretty much blew me away. Awesome. So I know Far Cry 2 has got to be the bomb.

have you tryed to overclock your cpu? i need to know what is your full specs of your comp. cause if you have a 800 fsb cpu just pump up your 200 fsb to 215 you will increase your cpu speed to 3010 mhz or if it can withstand 230. you would get 3220 mhz speed.

your cpu has probably a 14x multiplier. however dont do that without changing voltages and lowering ram speed as it will increase.

mail me at [email protected] il assit you for any overclocking tips.

top topics

join