It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How will you survive the imminent collapse of the dollar? PLEASE READ/REPLY

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 11:26 PM
link   
I bought some evaporated milk.... man that confused me.

[edit on 12-10-2008 by all2human]

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by king9072

Sorry for that but as I said I was speaking from the larger point of view.

I believe this is a very probable threat and to survive this I have done the following.

I have a group of people who are from different career paths ie tradesmen, fisherman, hunters, ex army and of course we have females lol all of us are couples. This I think gives the basics to protect each other and offer a start at least.

We also have food stocks and weapons.

I hope this answers your question.

Im not one for wanting to do this as is anyone else I hope but if it comes to it then I hope we do ok and anyone wanting to join us is welcomed with open arms.

[edit on 11-10-2008 by XXXN3O]

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 11:59 PM
link   
First, do not rely on any paper money of any kind. Convert any you may have,except some for immediate needs, into any commodities-gold,silver,food(farmland may be cheap),survival gear,guns-yes guns-better to have one and not need it than to really need one and not have it,plus they will be very easy to trade in a barter system.

It may feel wrong that you cash in a 401k but think about it-will it be worth anything in 3 months and when everybody tries to get it out at the same time they can only cover 10% in withdrawals in any single day. I took mine out 3 months ago and it took 2 months to get the cash.

Learn as much as you can about first aid,simple dentistry,gardening/farming,self-defense,anything that will give you an edge to survive.

Read Holly Deyo's book "Dare To Prepare". I have read many books on survival and this is the best.

Your getting off the grid is certainly a great start. Good luck in your future endeavors and always try to be of good cheer.

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by king9072

You assume the Dollar will crash. Then you assume survival will occur. These are good questions that deserve discussion.

One question is to question the assumption that the Dollar will crash in our lifetime. I'd say that the Dollar is at a 12 month high against the Euro, yet 30% below the Euro on a 5 year chart. The US Dollar looks good on the charts. It won't crash in the near term.

The carnage that we have recently witnessed has made the equity market cheaper by 30%. That was partly caused by margin calls, and has spent it's strength. There is international cooperation in play now. "Finance leaders endorse G7 plan to calm markets
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Finance leaders from the International Monetary Fund's 185 member countries on Saturday endorsed a plan by major economies to chart a course out of the credit crisis, hoping the broader support will calm markets." See Reuters

Lower equity prices are deflationary. The price of oil has dropped significantly as well, and should fall further. Home prices are down, deflationary as well. Assuming the price in US Dollars of oil continues to decline due to technological innovation, that would also allow us to buy more oil for less money. The government needs to legislate tax incentives to drill, and allow US oil to drill offshore, and oil should go down further in price. Incentives for stripper oil production would help a lot too.

Repealing free trade agreements might be a good idea, so America moves towards a balance of payments surplus. Taxing and legalizing certain cash crops could raise 100 billion a year, if you get the drift. That would further bolster the value of the US Dollar.

Now for the $50.00 question, "Will survival be a problem if the Dollar crashes?" Sure. The Government could simply issue a new class of monetary exchange backed by silver and gold, and allow the old currency to become debased. The safe bets would still be in a mixed basket of blue chip equities, real estate, art, coins, jewels and the like.

No need to scarf spare ammo for your hunting rifle yet. America has plenty of reserves that are untouched. Without question, America has and lots of potentially taxable commodities and abundant crops that have yet to become like legally commercially available so as to become taxable! This taxation of produce type of idea could make the US Dollar strong again. Folks in Washington might start thinking about how to shore up the balance of payments, and generate alternative taxes that make Americans smile for a change even!

Happy hunting anyway, it's Dove season in Texas.

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Flash_dancer

Wow great post thanks for joining the discussion with your input! You made alot of great points, but I think the wool may pulled down over your eyes. To honestly believe that the collapse of the dollar isn't imminent takes a lot of faith, and if its faith that you buy, I have a great book for you full of tales that not even a gentlemen two weeks into an acid bender could concoct, you may have heard of it, its called the bible.

Though as I write this, there's nothing I would love more than to see the dollar NOT collapse, I feel that's a long lost hope. Were you one of those people that believed bush a couple months ago when he said the economy was fine, and there was no crisis? The DOW alone has lost 1500 points in just the last week, the nationwide debt in the US is growing by the trillions, yet the economy is fine?

If you havent already I suggest taking a couple hours to get informed about what the US dollar as well as most other currencys are founded on, I suggest watching both the first Zeitgeist and the second Zeitgeist

In no way am I trying to be rude with this post, just not sure if you realize the state of the dollar. And welcome your further input, thanks again for joining this discussion.

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 07:53 PM
link   
You can buy sealed, distilled water for about $0.62 a gallon at some of the big chain stores. Many sites also recommend using SODA bottles for storing drinking water.

But you'll also need some water for cleaning, etc. I've been using the gallon milk containers for this- which are not recommended for drinking water. Clean them out with soap and water, then fill them up with water and a little bleach- let that sit for 2-5 mins to kill any bacteria in the bottle, then fill with tap water and close them up.

On that note, you may also want to add some wet wipes for cleaning your hands, etc.....and some clorox wipes or something of that nature for cleaning cooking area's, etc........................ wouldn't want to get sick during any type of crisis!

My other random thoughts are....
if there ever were such a meltdown in our societies............for every person who is making an attempt to prepare, there's got to be hand fulls of people that are NOT. How desperate would they become in such an event? How do you protect the food you're trying to grow outdoors? How do you protect what you have indoors? That's the part that bothers me the most....

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 02:53 AM
link   
What bothers me the most is when martial law is declared the government can take anything they deem necessary to survive.

Look at presidential directive 51 which can make the president virtual dictator.

Chips,anyone?

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by angelique5

I know it was touched on before, but a quality gravity filter system will get you through all sorts sorts of bad conditions. Without drinking water, you're toast. By quality, I mean filtration that can handle stagnant dirty water and turn it into potable water. There's a reason why Alex Jone's promotes the heck out of Big Berkey Water Filters. I bought one last year not fully convinced it was worth the money, and now I feel like is was underpriced given the value I obtain from it.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join