It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How will you survive the imminent collapse of the dollar? PLEASE READ/REPLY

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Hey everyone, we often get embroiled in heated discussions on this forum about things that not one of us can DEFINITIVELY prove. But again, that's why it's a discussion forum.

What I want to talk about and feel is more important than any arguing we could be doing here is how you, I and we will survive the collapse of the US dollar as well as others.

The thing is, we can debate all day about things, but one thing that is no longer up for debate is the fact that the US dollar IS going to collapse. Now what I want to talk about with you guys is what your real plans are and how you really expect to survive it.

My situation is that I am very lucky to have a large amount of cold hard cash burried in the ground, approx 40grand at the moment. Now if I do nothing, eventually my paper printed by the Canadian government will be essentially worth nothing even tho the combined numbers on the notes add up to "40 grand". My big concern is how do I transfer that wealth through to the emergent dollar which is no doubt on the way?

What I think its going to happen is they will crash the economy, lets say Joe has 100,000 in the bank. Well just to begin with the economic collapse and inflation running rampant that 100,000 will be worth alot less than today. So the moneys in the bank, now when they push the new currency he will be given the choice to convert but he will only be given pennies on the dollar.

What I have been thinking about is perhaps switching from CAD to perhaps yuan or some other currency that will hold its value through the collapse. Once the dust settles, buy into the new currency with the foreign currency.

I know alot of you people will suggest BUY GOLD!!! But its hard enough trying to buy a car with a large sum of cash, let alone a large amount of gold so thats not really an option for me or I would buy gold for sure.

Another thing I am going to do is im about to invest 11,000 into a solar array grid which is "plug and play" in a sense, it provides enough power to run my entire house with almost everything going. And in the mean time, any excess power that the panels create that isnt consumed by your house, it runs your meter backwards and over an entire month I should be expecting to recieve money from my hydro company.

I've also started to stockpile foods such as canned foods, but ive also started stockpiling Multi-Vitamins, Omega Fats, Supplements, pure weight gain powder (for body building). Hopefully with a house that can run itself, food to last a year for me and my family, and a way to regain "some" wealth after the crash by transfering the currency I buy, into our new currency then hopefully I can survive.

Hopefully everyone can keep this a calm discussion and provide serious information. It doesnt matter what religion you are, what you believe in, or if you think we landed on the moon.

All members on this forum, will soon be in the same trouble cause we all live in the same world, so please lets work together to try and come up with ways to get through the toughest times that we're facing.

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   
The best way to prepare for the fall of the dollar is not to rely on it. Have a generator, a cheap house paid off, or land in the middle of nowhere. Some seeds (unexpired) for food backup. To be ready for the fall, is a survival technique. Those invested in the "system" or country are taking a risk. A risk that may or may not pay off. Either way it's your risk and your decision to take it. If it all falls apart, i suggest laughter for both those who are or are not taking the risk.

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sidartha1
The best way to prepare for the fall of the dollar is not to rely on it. Have a generator, a cheap house paid off, or land in the middle of nowhere. Some seeds (unexpired) for food backup. To be ready for the fall, is a survival technique. Those invested in the "system" or country are taking a risk. A risk that may or may not pay off. Either way it's your risk and your decision to take it. If it all falls apart, i suggest laughter for both those who are or are not taking the risk.

Thanks for the input, and I tottally agree with not relying on the system. Thats why I feel it totally necessary to get the solar array in place so that I don't have to rely on the government for my power. I live in a 3000sqf house on 5 acres, running well water, and no mortgage, so if I can power the house off the grid I feel I have already expanded my survival rate exponentially.

What I really want to hear from people in this thread is input on how to transfer the wealth I have now through to the new currency. The only logical way I can see at this moment is to switch to a foreign currency that "I believe" will hold its value better than any other. Yuans, seem to be the winner considering the recent downturn of the Euro.

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I think people should take stock in themselves. We are all worth something to our countries and the world. We're not ready to lose our financial security to a monopolistic monetary system. We should assess and protect our possessions. This is our time. We are all capable of finding ways to help one another as friends. We're at the very brink of failing ourselves. We simply need togetherness and cooperation, as we always have with no fear or tensions, because we are all together on this wonderfully biological garden called Earth, and we're capable of remaining civil and not panicking, but taking stock in our strength as humanity to see the most civil, fair, free countries remain in the belief of faith in one another, as we are on the brink of solving all of the world's problems, and then we all get to go out into space, together. So, we must act peacibly with one another and put away our weapons, relax, and find some peace with each other, again - the way it was when I was a kid. Who's with me?

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by king9072
My big concern is how do I transfer that wealth through to the emergent dollar which is no doubt on the way?

What I think its going to happen is they will crash the economy, lets say Joe has 100,000 in the bank. Well just to begin with the economic collapse and inflation running rampant that 100,000 will be worth alot less than today. So the moneys in the bank, now when they push the new currency he will be given the choice to convert but he will only be given pennies on the dollar.

What I have been thinking about is perhaps switching from CAD to perhaps yuan or some other currency that will hold its value through the collapse. Once the dust settles, buy into the new currency with the foreign currency.

My big concern is why would you want to transfer that money to the new emerging dollar be it the Amero or some other one world currency? No matter what it is it will be cashless and an extension of the slavery that the current monetary system perpetuates only worse because at least now you can protest or speak up with out having to worry about being locked out of the system.

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 06:32 PM
link   
EDIT

[edit on 11-10-2008 by king9072]

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Things that would hold value and can handle long term storage:

Spirits
Ammunition

Note: They do not mix well.

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 08:18 PM
link   
You can go into any major airport in the world and buy gold coins.Do NOT buy Gold Certificates.Their a piece of paper.
WhatEVER currency you want to change into,you will be able to do so at the airports.No questions asked for under 9000 dollars per purchase I believe.
Go back 4 times.
Whatever the exchange rate is..it will be worth it. FAR more then the value of the currency over the next year I believe.

Thats what Im doing.As soon I get my liquid.Whatever currency you/us/mexico go to,ya better have gold as stabilizer.

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Spread it out.
$10,000 gold
$10,000 of liquor
$10,000 of sugar
$10,000 of ?????

The problem with foreign currency is: How do you transfer it?

Lets say it all crashes. Do you honestly see someone trading you a car or food for yen or other foreign currency?

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 08:33 PM
link   
No one mentioned water. That is the most essential thing to stockpile. If there were a biological attack, the water system would be compromised. Sealed bottles of water will stay almost indefinitely, but once opened, water is subject to bacterial growth and other unpleasant things. Check any survivalist website for things you can do to extend and ensure the safety of your water.

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 09:05 PM
link   
What I’ve done is to stockpile necessities, get used to growing my own food, and prepare means to defend what I’ve got. I would also recommend getting out of debt, and having as much of your monetary resources in on sight precious metals as is feasible. If you’ve got a ton of money, I’d have it in European treasuries denominated in Swiss Francs, like Cheney.

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProfEmeritus
No one mentioned water. That is the most essential thing to stockpile. If there were a biological attack, the water system would be compromised. Sealed bottles of water will stay almost indefinitely, but once opened, water is subject to bacterial growth and other unpleasant things. Check any survivalist website for things you can do to extend and ensure the safety of your water.

Living on well water that hasnt really been a concern of mine cause as soon as I get solar power going the well pump will function and ill have endless clean water. I still may invest in a BERKEY water filter. For people that aren't on wellwater, or wont have a means to power the pump that drives their well you should look into these as well.

To Anonymous, hey I was never worried about how I would switch my CAD cash to other currencys, I can just do the multiple visits to different exchange places without a problem. But what damn currency should I choose thats my dilemma. Also, you mention that you can buy gold coins at the airport? I've never heard of that in my life. YVR, is a very major international airport and I did not know that it was possible to get legitimate gold coins from them.

While writing this post I found this site VBCE it sells both bullion and bars. Which once seeing the site, I wonder if it may be wise to buy coins in both gold and silver. Silver would be easier to part with thats for sure, it would be a tall order for me to be handing over an ounce of pure gold in form of a coin in exchange for something.

Yellowstone: The purpose of transfering the money to a foreign currency was *never* to be used for trading with locals during the crisis, it was simply to be held until the new currency was established, and then at that point making the transfer back to the new currency.

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I've been stockpiling food for quite some time. Honestly, I've never prepared a dried bag of beans but I now have the knowledge thanks to the internet to do so. I have yet to withdraw my money from the banks because quite frankly, If we really do enter that kind of a meltdown, paper money will probably become useless. I see no need to compound this problem by making a run on the bank myself. ( I do however have a few hundred stashed away just in case it works for a while.)

IMO, surviving the initial shock will be the biggest task. Having a plan and a way to protect one's self and their family is of strategic importance during the first month or so of a true meltdown. After that, I think things will gradually improve. Just be prepared to hunker down for a bit if necessary.

[edit on 11-10-2008 by tmbandt]

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by tmbandt
I've been stockpiling food for quite some time. Honestly, I've never prepared a dried bag of beans but I now have the knowledge thanks to the internet to do so. I have yet to withdraw my money from the banks because quite frankly, If we really do enter that kind of a meltdown, paper money will probably become useless. I see no need to compound this problem by making a run on the bank myself. ( I do however have a few hundred stashed away just in case it works for a while.)

IMO, surviving the initial shock will be the biggest task. Having a plan and a way to protect one's self and their family is of strategic importance during the first month or so of a true meltdown. After that, I think things will gradually improve. Just be prepared to hunker down for a bit if necessary.

[edit on 11-10-2008 by tmbandt]

Go get your money out of the bank! NOW! It is doing you no good there, and if there is a bank run you will be SOL~ then, your choices will be, useless money or useless money. Do you see what I mean? If there is a bank run, it doesn't technically mean that money itself is useless, so while the bank is stopping a mass withdrawl, the money itself is still useful - to those who have it.

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Use it now while it is still worth something,pay off debt,look around you,imagine if things just turned off, what will you need to live for at least two months,if things become unavailable or atmospherically hyperinflated,double-up for stupid neighbors ,friends are more than gold during hard times

Hey and if the S does'nt hit the Fan , you will be more self sufficient,eating great, with new friends!

[edit on 11-10-2008 by all2human]

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 10:56 PM
link   
I plan on selling my fanny for sex. Wait...yeah. I mean, no! plucky will run away, hide, and live like Red Sonia.

[edit on 11-10-2008 by pluckynoonez]

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Actually, FOOD will be the universal currency. You can pretty much live without anything else. Trade some of your nearly worthless dollars for food with a long shelf life. Canned meats such as chicken, etc, are great. Tuna is ok, but make it light, not white, as white tuna has a higher mercury content. Avoid giving kids too much canned tuna, due to the mercury. Canned Clams are good sources of protein also. Also canned chili, canned beans, canned juices,canned tomatoes, jars of pickles, are all very reasonable now, and you can stockpile enough of it to live for years, if need be.

Also stockpile a lot of blankets, especially if you live in a zone that has cold winters

Stockpile insulation to put on your windows, as you may not have any energy for heat, unless you have a wood stove, or some equivalent. Stockpile a lot of cheap clothing that you can layer, and stockpile some boots and extra shoes.

Also stockpile a ton of matches, and candles.

Also place dry goods, such as grains and cereals in ziplock-type bags, to keep out bugs, etc.

Stockpile a few containers of propane to run a BBQ grill, and quite a few batteries with several battery-operated radios.

Rotate as necessary, using the oldest dates first, of course.

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by king9072

This is quite a vague question as it doesnt specifically say what will happen next which looks like the Amero could be a cry from heaven sort of speak.

To give you a really short answer here that me and you will not see in our lifetime.

It all goes back to where it came from.

If the dollar goes down society collapses, riots, famine, murder, death, destruction etc etc. Eventually people will learn to work together again and try to rebuild laws, housing, jobs and all of society in general. I fear the same will happen again to keep it simple as after all we are still repeating history.

If the Amero is introduced then society will eventually stable then a world currency will be created and over a long period of time, hundreds of years this problem will come again, if we have conquered the galaxy then we may well continue of course but it will ultimately lead to implosion again if based on money.

I believe that we have yet to repeat this massive mistake a few times before we learn as a whole that money does not function properly in an equal society. We cannot have an unequal society by nature as we are all free thinking people with the same physical bodies by nature. Yes some of us will be skilled more but does that mean we should be treated better be it mind body or soul?

I think that we will ultimately find a great way to live like the American dream was meant to be but even better. It will be a long road but a short journey in terms of evolution.

If you are lucky enough to live through these times I think you will really understand how much your actions have an effect on others.

I am obviously speaking from the bigger picture here mainly.

[edit on 11-10-2008 by XXXN3O]

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 11:23 PM
link   
I just bought approximately 60,000 shares in a company that specializes in powdered water.

Maybe it was a bad investment...

AB1

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

I think that you may have missed the point of the thread. I have alot of 'wishes' for what I hope society would do. But the reality of life at this current moment is very bleak. So knowing that, and knowing what is 'likely' going to happen, what will people of this forum do to make it through the transition period. Because if you don't survive the transition, then you failed at your ultimate mission in life; survival.

What I hoped to come out of this thread, was practical real-world tips to make the transition, as well as insight about my approach to surviving the transition.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join