It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can someone recommend some good real time strategy games

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I cannot run supreme commander, c & c 3, or world in conflict

I'm downloading
1) Rise of nations
2) Age of Empires 2 & 3
3) act of War - direct action

I have ghost recon, and command conquer generals zero hour

I have a dell dimension 3000

512 negs of ram
80 gig drive
onboard graphics

all the games im downloading should run ok

I know splinter cell will not work though for some reason.

any area 51 computer games or alien invasion games. I saw the UFO after shock game but it did not look cool.

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 02:53 PM
link   
STARCRAFT, one of the best RTS games ever, by blizzard, for $20, you can go to a computer store, and get the battle chest, with the game, the expansion and the walk through for both

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 03:36 PM
link   
starcraft is boring ive played that one before.

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Dawn Of War....it beats every other RTS game hands down, its only rival in my opinion is supreme commander which is also pretty epic.

Total Annihilation is also pretty good(Y)

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I foegot something, starcraft 2 is coming out soon, going to be Epic, ive seen gameplay, better than dawn of war

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Civilization IV and the expansion pack "Beyond the sword"

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by fred3110

Dawn Of War....it beats every other RTS game hands down, its only rival in my opinion is supreme commander which is also pretty epic.

Total Annihilation is also pretty good(Y)

why would someone wanna play Total Annihilation it looks old?

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by andolin
Civilization IV and the expansion pack "Beyond the sword"

i think rise of nations is cooler, it would be cool if civilization wasnt so complex. i cant really seem to get anywhere on the first one.

but i like the whole space race and nuclear war stuff, but i cant make it that far i make it to about the roaring twenties in the year 2050 ad. and everyone else is on horses and sleeves.

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 10:31 AM
link   
what about star wars games?

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Homeless Man

why would someone wanna play Total Annihilation it looks old?

It might look old but its still a good game, the system requirements are nothing compared to games nowadays as well so you can play large matches on low spec computers.

I dont know what it is about TA but it stands apart from the other RTS games of the time, Red Alert, Dune and StarCraft are all good games in there own right but they dont have the same style of play that TA does.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by fred3110

I agree, Total Annihilation was an excellent game, the A.I. was good... especially if you download a 3rd party A.I. The game is very custimizable with 3rd party maps, units, and A.I. all of which are still available online, for free. And you could max out the unit counts with any PC these days...

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 05:11 AM
link   
This is a collection of some of the best real time strategy and turn based strategy games to have come out in the last 8 years. If you follow the links I provided, you should be able to find a review for each one.
As for recommendations, Im not big on strategy games myself but I always wanted to play Company of Heroes and DEFCON.

[edit on 14-10-2008 by six1nine]

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 09:44 PM
link   
ok i started playing winter assault and it rocked. i got to this level where you have to get past these gates. well i finally made it in and then all of the sudden the cinematics change and i have to play as some withches or something. thats when i turned it off. its probably because i did not watch the movies.

i also got age of empires 2 wich was awesome. couldnt beat it on 8 players too many hidden guys running around.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 09:46 PM
link   
defcon is a very cool game. it is almost impossible to win unless you play as europe. the fact they only give you six silos and to cover such a wide range of battle field they will have stuff flying off the tip of the north pole if you play as the usa.

but if you play as europe and make russia your ally your doing good.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I wanna play surpreme commander and rise of nations. those games rock

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 04:24 AM
link   
I recommend all the C&C games from the original to Tiberian Sun and its expansion. The best ones in the series are definitely Red Alert, Red Alert 2 and Tib Sun. You can get all of them in a pack for around £20 these days, I doubt you could get through them all within the year.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Homeless Man

I also felt great by supporting Introversion software. I went as far as ordering the box (and manual). The manual was fantastic. Told you how to build your own nuclear suit and survive a nuclear holocaust *laugh*.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 09:34 PM
link   
My personal favorites are C&C red alert 2 and Total Annihilation.

Red Alert 2 for it's units (Especially if you get the Yuri Expansion).

Total Annihilation for it's 3rd party units and maps that you can grab for free online.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by -Klaus-
I recommend all the C&C games from the original to Tiberian Sun and its expansion. The best ones in the series are definitely Red Alert, Red Alert 2 and Tib Sun. You can get all of them in a pack for around £20 these days, I doubt you could get through them all within the year.
zero hour hands down.. why do yall play such old stuff?

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 05:34 AM
link   
The old stuff was the best! It was about quality back then rather than fancy looks and if you're really into RTS in a big way I'm sure the graphics aren't a big deal, I still play Z occasionally that was also a classic.

If you have a good enough rig I would really recommend Supreme Commander, not only does it have flash graphics but it has the highly polished game play with a sense of scale that has never been matched yet by anyone else. These were the guys that gave us Total Annihilation all those years ago to.

But if you wanted to start cheap and good I thoroughly recommend C&C from the beginning, so what it doesn't look flash but it sure does play well and has fantastic story lines.

top topics

join