It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Cutting Armed Forces in Germany by half.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2004 @ 06:42 PM
link   
More than likely this is a lucrative way to punish their opposition to the War on Terror, and I agree with the move. These bases could be moved to Poland or even the Far East Siberian region and they would serve a much better purpose than smack dab in the middle of peaceful western europe. This should have happened a long time ago and I see it happening in South Korea as well.

posted on Mar, 25 2004 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agent47

"These bases could be moved to Poland or even the Far East Siberian, I see it happening in South Korea as well."

Agent47 I commend you for your long range outlook that China is the real threat in the future, unfortunatly I don't see the current Russian government agreeing with that assertion just yet, so the base's in siberia are out of the question in the near future - unless you know something the rest of us don't.

I think we don't need any more base's in south Korea, we need to pressure China economicaly before its to late to do so, influencing its support of the North Koreans. China is in a delicate position in respect to its populances acceptance of economic well being vs. politics. IE: its weak now but not later.

Base's in southern Europe as near to the caucasus region as we can get are an advantage in responding to the war on terror as well as checking future European adventures.

What do you think?

[Edited on 25-3-2004 by Phoenix]

posted on Mar, 25 2004 @ 07:27 PM
link   
I don't know our (US) troop numbers world wide, but could this be done in order to prepare for a large scale attack somewhere ? N Korea ?

posted on Mar, 25 2004 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phoenix
Base's in southern Europe as near to the caucasus region as we can get are an advantage in responding to the war on terror as well as checking future European adventures.

What do you think?

[Edited on 25-3-2004 by Phoenix]

I agree with you and I think that bases in places like Uzbekistan or Tajikistan provide us with a lot more flexibility to respond both to Asia and the Middle East. On top of that these governments will welcome the money and their people are not die hard leftists pushing for bases to be closed down.

I think that when we pull out of Germany the Germans will realize how bad the sting is, my father served in Germany for 5 years back in the 80s and although the times have changed he claims that if we were to rip out our roots, the economies surrounding bases would bottom out. I think its unfair to the poor people who make a living working near bases but its a necissity if we are to protect our interests.

posted on Mar, 25 2004 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
I don't know our (US) troop numbers world wide, but could this be done in order to prepare for a large scale attack somewhere ? N Korea ?

More than likely Taiwan.

posted on Mar, 25 2004 @ 08:26 PM
link   
China is clearly the country that will pose the most threat in the future. I can only hope that we can defeat them in an economic war rather then with nukes. I think that we will be dealing with N. Korea first though, so look for troops to be moved to that area of the world.

posted on Mar, 25 2004 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by American Mad Man
China is clearly the country that will pose the most threat in the future. I can only hope that we can defeat them in an economic war rather then with nukes. I think that we will be dealing with N. Korea first though, so look for troops to be moved to that area of the world.

Not if we would get off our collective selfish butts and demand that sanctions be imposed if China wants continued trade with the U.S., even if it meant higher prices for goods here it damn sure would be cheaper than fighting a war.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join