It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The chat feature is **** lately!!!!!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 09:36 PM
link   
What's going on? I know the chat app was changed some time back, simply put WTF?? the old one WORKED! Whenever I do actually get in most people (the few in there) also say they had a hard time getting in.

I don't use the chat all that much, but I really do enjoy it... and before anyone says update your flash player - I have, and I use multiple browsers - the problem is clearly with ATS. Are you trying to fade the chat out?

Anyway, I felt this deserved a mini rant :bnghd:

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 02:34 AM
link   
I agree....what is the deal?

It seems to me that these days the emphasis seems to be on enforcing ham handed rules in chat,and banning people for trivial things they've said,instead of making sure the freaking thing ACTUALLY WORKS.

Come on...with all the advancements this site has made you're telling me we can't get a workable chat going?!

I've heard lots of people say we should just switch to an IRC chat,and I agree with that too.Especially if a flash chat is going to have this many bugs.

Come on guys.....give us our chat back!

[edit on 10/11/2008 by DocGonzo]

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 04:20 AM
link   
Let me cover all the bases, and make sure I speak for both members and what I think is going on with ATS.

The fact is, unfortunately, ATS Chat right now isn't under control by ATS other than the member accounts. It is hosted remotely by another entity all together. Now that being said let me go on to the reason:

The "known" reason is that it has to do with Java Security issues with the chat, and since ATS likes to stay squeaky and secure, SO is not having the chat put up on the ATS Server, maybe not because of security, but because of the patches with security on the server side software, the chat may not be compatible.

Since the chat is hosted by a 3rd party, ATS really can't control issues with connectivity or login issues.

While I agree an IRC Chat would be better, here's a problem. It's more difficult to integrate the user database and assign mods. People would be changing nicknames, posing nicknames and the like, it's too easy to abuse, and on ATS with some members trying to get back at others, that may not be the best idea to give them that option to abuse, don't you agree?

Unfortunately, I don't think there's an option...I personally found that the original ATS Chat, the one which was powered simply by php processing, was just as good...and could've been updated to suit the needs of ATS just fine without going flash chat. I honestly find the factor of sound effects and user "avatars" pointless.

Just my two cents.

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 03:23 PM
link   
never used chat before i bet its probably pretty cool

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 03:48 PM
link   
the new chat room is a huge peice of garbage...

The old chat room worked fine

This one, buggy as hell...

It will not load correctly for me
only about 15% of the window is visible
more then 50% of the time i get an error when trying to log in...

Its a peice of garbage...
A fresh, rotting, pile of heaping garbage...

But its probaly better for the bottem line then the old one...

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 09:03 PM
link   
It works fine for me, most of the time I get that "Unknown Error" thing but usually its because I didn't let the window load the full page before clicking log in.

Be patient, I'm sure SO is working on something after the number of complaints.

Roswell.

top topics

join