It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Patriotism Terrifies me!!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Grumble

Aww c'mon! cold dead fingers?

To be honest that's prob the most likely result!

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 07:47 PM
link   
double post

[edit on 10-10-2008 by Thebudweiserstuntman]

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Contagion2012

Thank you. Thank you for expressing the angst that I've held for so long. Yes, I'm the rotten wingnut that voted for Bush in the first election. No, I was not the whackamole that did so again. I simply didn't vote, as the alternative was worse, IMO. Thus, I loose the right to complain.

Appreciate your perspective. Well said.

Cheers

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Every country has blind patriots who think thier country is always right (very scary) The problems with that gives rise to blind patriotsm is lack of exposure, never being at receiving end, complacency and lack of understanding of the outsideworld. Its always in the goverment interest for people to loose objectivity and become overwelhmed with patriotism and love for ones country. It is the perfect most powerful tool for leaders with bad intent, in thier quest to mislead and brainwash the people, facing little to no opposition in fufilling thier evil agendas

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thebudweiserstuntman
double post

[edit on 10-10-2008 by Thebudweiserstuntman]

You do realize that more people die in car wrecks, more die from smoking, more die from drinking, EACH. EVERY YEAR. Than those who die from owning a gun.

BTW, War does not count, because soldiers do not own their guns. They have to turn them in when they come back. lol

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 07:50 PM
link   
What is your problem with guns, exactly? Or, more to the point, what is the problem with responsible people owning guns?

I mean, I can see some people being uncomfortable around them, but to ban them completely in a country when that country's Constitution gives them the specific right to own and bear arms?

And, I do agree with you on the blind patriotism.....that's why I separate it from real patriotism.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 07:53 PM
link   
The right to own a gun, in part, is for one's protection against the government, I believe that was one of it's main original purposes.

Remember they just won their rights from a King they viewed as a tyrant as well.

It would make sense, because a true tyrant has every reason in the world to rob people the power to fight back if their freedoms were being violated. So i believe this is a right people should have, especially since it seems the founding fathers stressed that they never wanted the people to ever lose that right.

Also, more people lived off the land back in those days and hunted game (and may have to start doing so once more, who knows?).

Also, if you take them away, criminals will still get their hands on them through the black market somehow. Then citizens would have no way to fight back against criminals with illegal guns.

I think it is easy to point to guns for causing crime and what not, but if the government and criminals are going to have them, why can't a normal law abiding person have one?

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 07:53 PM
link   
[quote
You speak as if the UK is so far ahead of us culturally. The reason we left there was to get out of the tyrranicle capitalist society. It just followed us over here. I can guarantee you that most people who did vote for Bush in his first term are completely pissed where this administration has led us. But it's not only Bush, it was Clinton, Bush Sr. etc. etc. The list goes on. Thats just how politicians are.

Thing is, if your government wants to make you slaves even more so, there is jack you can do about it. At least with our 2nd ammendment, they will have to fight us for it.

Yeah ok, its the UK's fault! I think yoiu'll find that Capitalist society is mainly an American construct, but again, you're missing the point of this thread. |Its about Patriotism, not History or foundation. It's what you guys have made of it on your own!

have fun!

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Yeah ok, its the UK's fault! I think yoiu'll find that Capitalist society is mainly an American construct, but again, you're missing the point of this thread. |Its about Patriotism, not History or foundation. It's what you guys have made of it on your own!

have fun!

Lol, seriously dude? I'm not blaming the UK. Every western society is at fault. And BTW, our business/economy structure IS based on yours, therefor, you started it, nah, nah, nah nah, nah.

Whatever

How is that seizure of Iceland's Finances going for your government right now???

EDIT: WTF is giong on with the quote thing tonight??? lol

[edit on 10-10-2008 by Contagion2012]

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by skeptic1

Is there honestly such a thing as 'responsible' ownership of guns? A gun is a thing that can end a life in a second. If someone is stealing your widescreen tv, does that one second of hate you have equate to taking a life? I've had a $5000 motorbike stolen from me and If i got a hold of the bastard I'd have shot him in the face in an instance, no question. But to be honest, two years later, is a peice of metal worth a life? with or without insurance? Yeah i got the money back, but to be honest i'm a pretty hard ass. I kn oe I would have regretted any spur of the moment action over 'property' which essentially means nothing.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Simplynoone
I live in Texas ...and I could very well be about the only one who does not have a gun ..hates war ...loves my country but does not believe either of these wars were about Bin Laden or 911 ....but other reasons ..

Let's make that two people. I do own a firearm but live in a rural area. The Bush administration antics has changed my beliefs.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 08:00 PM
link   

reply to post by skeptic1

Is there honestly such a thing as 'responsible' ownership of guns? A gun is a thing that can end a life in a second. If someone is stealing your widescreen tv, does that one second of hate you have equate to taking a life? I've had a $5000 motorbike stolen from me and If i got a hold of the bastard I'd have shot him in the face in an instance, no question. But to be honest, two years later, is a peice of metal worth a life? with or without insurance? Yeah i got the money back, but to be honest i'm a pretty hard ass. I kn oe I would have regretted any spur of the moment action over 'property' which essentially means nothing.

First off, someone killing another person for stealing, would NOT qualify as a responsible gun owner. However, if someone came into my house and tried to rape my wife, I guarantee you I would be more than happy to take his life. What would you do in that situation? Would you tell him once he is finished, you children are in the other room, if he wants a go at them as well??

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 08:00 PM
link   

You're really missing the point of this thread dude.

read up.

and to be honest the whole iceland thing is humping us - i've lost a whole lot of pootential work cos of it. Does that make you happy cos its not the good 'ol US?

Think beofre you reply. Please.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Dude, if someone was raping my wife or threatining my kids i can GUARANTEE you it wouldn't take a gun for me to end his life.

Most British people can acquire a gun for around £300.

Most people don't.

What does that tell you?

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 08:04 PM
link   
No, it doesnt make me happy. Both our government are raping us right now. No one here can find a job right now either. Luckily I havent been laid off or anything, YET. The point I am making is that people HERE are starting to get fed up with it. We could do something about it, not really, but it is a good idea, while in England, all you have to defend yourself, and to protect yourself from your Govt. is knives. I feel bad for EVERYONE right now.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Dude, if someone was raping my wife or threatining my kids i can GUARANTEE you it wouldn't take a gun for me to end his life.

Most British people can acquire a gun for around £300.

Most people don't.

What does that tell you?

If you did aquire said gun, you would eventually be find out, and be sent to prison. Out of fear, people do not aquire them.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 08:08 PM
link   

I think yoiu'll find that Capitalist society is mainly an American construct

Not in the slightest bit true. I think you should learn more about our British history. We invented the modern economic system, starting with the works of Adam Smith.

You are probably refering to globalization.

Anyways, oppressive gun laws have done more to increase the rate of violent crime in the UK than anything else. We have an epidemic of knife crime and other bladed weapons that claim more lives a year than firearms ever did. What concerns me the most is that law-abiding citizens can't protect themselves, not even in their own home.

Americans should feel fortunate to have the second amendment.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 08:09 PM
link   

As a famous British song goes;

'Gun's don't kill people,
Rappers do!'

The pen is mightier than the sword - words can go much further than bullets, or the threat of bullets.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by YourForever

I think yoiu'll find that Capitalist society is mainly an American construct

Not in the slightest bit true. I think you should learn more about our British history. We invented the modern economic system, starting with the works of Adam Smith.

You are probably refering to globalization.

Anyways, oppressive gun laws have done more to increase the rate of violent crime in the UK than anything else. We have an epidemic of knife crime and other bladed weapons that claim more lives a year than firearms ever did. What concerns me the most is that law-abiding citizens can't protect themselves, not even in their own home.

Americans should feel fortunate to have the second amendment.

Thank you.

STAR'd

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 08:10 PM
link   

reply to post by JipStix

Gun owners kinda scare me aswell, like they need to over compensate for something, particularly the ones who cling onto the second ammendment like it was written yesterday - guns serve no purpose in a civilised society

I used to think like you--used the hate Charleston Heston and the NRA, because the media always painted gunowners and 2nd admendment enthusiasts as racist and rednecks, piling up for the great race war.

But most of those people aren't nearly concerned about any race war as they are about the government taking away their freedom to live as they chose within the law--be it seperate or whatever.

They were right to hold on to their guns all those years I was believing the propaganda against them, and they are right now.

People talk about changing the U.S. constitution.

But a sacred blue print that gives you the freedom of speech and the right to bear arms is all any people needs to stay free.

As long as governments and their agencies have guns, people should have guns--all the people.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join