It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Patriotism Terrifies me!!

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by MorningStar8741

So, in other words, Republicans/conservatives are the ones that follow blindly and the Democrats/liberals are.....what exactly? I infer your meaning from reading your points about Fox News and talk radio. If I am wrong, please correct me.

Patriotism is not nationalism, and I think that is where the confusion lies. I don't blindly support my country and government just due to the fact that I live within the borders of the US (which in my mind is nationalism). I love my country and its founding principles enough to question my government (which in my mind is patriotism).

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 10:53 AM
link   
do people from other countrys think we all walk around like rambo

people are forgetting some of the good things about patriotism like it has the ability to unite and entire nation of completely different people thats pretty amazing since we seem to not be able to get along most of the time

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Do not get me wrong. I do love this country. It is my home. I just want to see it better than it is now. It is flawed. I have a challenge for anyone that disagrees. Defend this and this

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blogstalker

Let's try this again, had a post written and the site went to maintaince.

Ironically, I've had to retype this too as the I accidentally refreshed the browser!

Anyway, I didn't get the impression the poster particularly wanted to own a gun either and I don't know their basic feelings on owning one but I just found it interesting they would own one if they lived in the US.

Yes, it was interesting but I think it accurately reflected the way that a lot of non-Americans feel about gun ownership. It seems like a small arms race. 'He has a knife, so I'll have this gun. Oh, he's got the same gun, so I'll get a bigger one. What? He's upgraded too? How much is an assault rifle?'

I feel some people, and this isn't directed at anyone in particular, think that citizens of the US are carrying guns around in holsters and in their purses like wallets and lipstick. That just isn't true.

That may be the case, but on the other hand, we are told differently. Take any thread that even hints at the fact that Britain isn't armed. For example, apparently, the solution to our current knife problem is for us to be armed. If we had guns, no one would be threatening us with knives, apparently.

However, most of the knife-related incidents that we're talking about don't take place in the home - although that does happen, the same as anywhere else - instead they take place in the street, in urban areas. What exactly is being proposed here? When people say, that they'd just pull a gun on someone with a knife, would I be wrong in assuming they don't mean that they'd go home, come back with their gun and hope the knife attacker is still there waiting to be shot? I'm under the impression they have their gun on them, not in a locked cupboard at home. Otherwise, what the hell are they talking about?

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Firstly i would like to apologize on behalf of my British brethren for some of this America bashing that has arrived.

Here is my personal opinion, i like to think i would never kill anyone and i know for a fact that if i had a gun i would get the urge to use it now and again and i would naturally fight it like any other human being.

Now heres the truth, if guns were to be allowed in the U.K it would in the long run to neither good or bad but it would balance things out. Yes there would be a rise in gun crime and there would be the odd crazy gun shooting some people but as the same time crime would also decrease due to everyone being able to protect themselves.

Personally if i was a allowed i would own a gun for personal protection, it would make me feel safe. Would i feel more nervous knowing everyone else might have one? Hell yes but that's not the point.

Britain is braking and that is the truth, now as soon as i am in a position to do so i will be seriously considering immigrating to the U.S.A. Why? Because at least there i would know i could protect myself.

Thats my penny's worth

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Thebudweiserstuntman

As cliche as it sounds -- if you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns. You're never going to get the guns off the street, so better the law-abiding citizens be able to protect themselves than be victims of criminals with superior firepower..

and for the record -- i'm from West Virginia, I love America, I hate Bush. There's a difference in hating the government and hating the country. America is amazing. It's the government that needs some culling -- but then that could be said for just about every country in the world, yes?

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by MCoG1980
reply to post by RRconservative

America WILL be a great country if it learns to accept all as equal, and help those in the deprived areas rather than liining the pockets of the fatcats. Guns do need to be banned - the only reason to own one is to inflict harm - whether self defence or deliberate. Not acceptable eitherway. Britain as leasts realises this but unfortunately britain is turning into 'little america'.

[edit on 11-10-2008 by MCoG1980]

You kind of people scare me. Its the political correctness of this world that is turning in into a toilet bowl. We Patriots have weapons for personal defense from burglars that you type of people would keep out of jail because its in-humane. We Patriots also have weapons to protect our dear country from all who wish it harm.

We Patriots are the final judge and the jury when things get bad, We will be protecting people like you as well as ourselves so take that message where ever you are. Just because Patriots stood up to the high and mighty Brits and send them home with their tail between their legs doesn't mean that you should fear their ideals. You should embrace them otherwise your country that you love will be overran with Islamic extremist as is happening now.

Wake up and open your eyes before you are forced to kneel before some Arab throne.

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 11:25 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Mintwithahole.

Are you kidding? Englands people are very patrotic - You just need to look at how people change during world cup season. ENGLAND FLAGS are everwhere - hung outside peoples windows painted on houses, faces painted - it becomes very in your face - we get the impression this is not PC. This is were patriotism really kicks in. We dont mind other religions or cultures being intergrated with the country's major religion - heck most of us are athiasts.. Its when we are told we cannot wear crucifixs for work, or have pictures of piglet from winnie the pooh in our workplaces or the kids story, 3 liitle pigs at school were we begin to think, what??? That is pushed upon us to be PC. In my opinion by doing that you are creating a problem that wasn't there to begin with. When the day comes when we cannot display our flags is the day a revolt will begin. This could be seen when they wanted a referendum to see if the uk public would support the changing the currency to the Euro years ago. The general feeling was no. It was pushedf on us it would benefit the economy but patroitism shone through, people didn't want to lose our indivduality, our heritage. By allmeans we can be apart of something larger but dont take away our uniqueness. How small is England? What is the most spoken language of the world? It began here, England. They came, they conquered, they built and empire, they also stated something so big it has shaped everything you know today. Would America be where it is now without the Magna Carta. Without the roman empire. Without the Spanish Armada, without the Greek Empire, Without Egypt? The answer is no. Have you seen that Orange advert? God that advert is so true. Wake up and lok at the big picture?!? Laws of attraction?!? Tablet of Thoth, Cause and effect, below. To me the whole meaning of life is one huge experiment,,,,,

This advert is genius and very true:
www.i-am-everyone.co.uk...

www.crystalinks.com...

To me the whole meaning of life is one huge experiment, and we are the guinea pigs.
www.crystalinks.com...

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Thebudweiserstuntman

Where is a civilized society? There's rapes, murders, home invasions, robberies and the list goes on and on. If you remove guns from law abiding citizens, the only one's that'll have them are the criminals. A person intent on carrying out a crime isn't going to care whether or not they're breaking the law by having a gun. They'll buy them on the black market. Guns have as much a right to be in a 'civilized' society( I'm still not sure where you get off speaking of any society in the world as civilized.) much as the air we breathe.

Whether it's defending yourself, your family, your business from a robber or what ever it is, gun ownership by law abiding citizens is a must. You really need to open your eyes and realize that it's the logic you have that will only destroy us.

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Sky watcher

All American familes originated from another country, did the indians tell you to go home - yes but you didnt listen. Why did they leave the UK? Have the people of America today achieved the goal of your founding farthers? We dont get taught American history at school. To me America is like the UK on a larger scale but more dangerous. Land is really no-ones to claim, it belongs to the earth. I will not kneel before no-one, unless the creator of the universe makes himslef known to me.

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by BluegrassRevolutionary

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984
Why exactly have you only singled out American patriotism here? Patriotism for patriotisms sake worries me whichever country it comes from.

I couldn't agree more.
Couldn't that be a possible definition for fanaticism.

I think that is what is really considered, uhm, ?? nationalism? Blindly following your leaders no matter what. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Simplynoone

OK anything else you need just take it ok >..I am tired of dusting it all off anyway ...LOL >..

I am with ya ...
I also believe someone else made an excellent point ..What happened to all the gun toteing Americans during the LA RIOTS ? I would like to hear that answer myself ..

umm.. perhaps you forgot some history.. i'll give you a hand..

By the second day violence appeared widespread and unchecked as heavy looting and fires had started being witnessed across Los Angeles County. The Korean American community, seeing the police force's abandonment of Koreatown, swiftly organized a self-defense squad composed of veteran Marines and workers, who entered the fray. Open gun battles were televised as Korean shopkeepers and the self-defense group took to using firearms to protect their businesses (often their sole livelihood) from crowds of violent looters

en.wikipedia.org...

especially some 20 or so yr old lost kid who just wants to steal your stuff >>>) >>.

people dont always just want to take some stuff from you. how many people have had their house broken into only to be shot, raped, kidnapped with absolutely NOTHING stolen?!

recently in my town a family came home to find their door kicked in and their dog killed.. nothing taken.
you have no way in hell of knowing what somebody wants once they enter your home unlawfully.
what about the guy who caught a pedophile naked in his daughters room? im sure he wasnt eyeballing the sweet plasma screen in the front room.

please open your eyes to the fact that not all criminals just want your posessions, some want your life, or your wifes body or your child.

[edit on 11-10-2008 by turbokid]

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by WisdomInChains
people are forgetting some of the good things about patriotism like it has the ability to unite and entire nation of completely different people

You mean kind of like love, except with an immature and unnecessary "my country is the best!" attitude?

Love brings people together. :shrug:

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thebudweiserstuntman
reply to post by skeptic1

If no-one else had a gun, why would you need one? Why not take away your right to own one? What's next? Don't take away my right to own Inter continental Ballistic Missiles?

Making guns illegal isn't going to make all the guns disappear. And the people who all already breaking the law aren't going to suddenly turn in their guns. It is important for individuals to own guns to maintain order and to ensure the continuation of a government by the people, of the people, and for the people.

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 12:04 PM
link   
My fellow Americans who are running around waiving the flag as an excuse for mass murder and torture are not patriots. This is not patriotism,but mob behavior. I hope the world understands that we are not all like this. The true patriots ARE the liberals. Testing has shown us that the red states are the most gullible ones. Truth will go marching on and the world will no longer fear us like they feared Hitler. Then I will waive my flag. I can't waive it now out of the fear of being associated with these false patriots.

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thebudweiserstuntman
reply to post by Contagion2012

50 cent obviously pissed enough peple off to be shot that many times! If it was the UK he would have been stabbed once!!

Or he would have been shot. You make it sound like the UK is gun free when you know full well that this isn't the case.

There are shootings every day in England, no where near the amount the USA has but still plenty, many times more than you would expect from a "gun free" society.

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 12:19 PM
link   
RE; American Patriotism / Nationalism.

America or should i say , the United States of America is rather unique in that it is a Nation founded by immigrants.
And you need a mighty social glue to bind such a divergence of peoples.
Every nation engages in recycling imagery ,stories & legends to reinforce OUR sense of collective ,complete with heroes and villains. This is especially true for the U.S and is very visible in the output from Hollywood. etc.

Them and Us .With us or against us.Good Vs. Evil. etc etc etc etc

I believe this is why there is essentially only two parties in American politics , any more than two and you run the risk of citizens getting what they want .
......or more precisely what they need.
So what you get left with is people voting for one candidate to stop another from getting elected.
It maintains a false dichotomy, though there finally seems to be some movement in the Third category, time will tell !.
Seems when you "nail your colours to the mast" or define yourself, you equally speak volumes about "what you are NOT".

The influence of "Manifest Destiny" of the 1800`s still lingers in the American psyche, and with the demise of the Soviet Union, the U.S.A as sole superpower has dumped the pretense of soft power. This has given to way to naked American Exceptionalism , the world always know you were top dog , they just don`t like having there noses rubbed in it .

[edit on 11-10-2008 by UmbraSumus]

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by earthman4

Do you not see a correlation with Obama and Hitler??? IE the Obama youth? Liberals are the only patriots? I would consider myself a Independent, that leans both ways depending on the situation. I consider myself a patriot because I dont blindly follow ANY leader. Bush, McCant or NObama. All of our politicians are corrupt as hell, and if you believe that Obama, 'the messiah', will solve any problems, you have got to be an idiot. A TRUE patriot would take this country back and make a new small government that is actually for the people, by the people.

This goes the same for those 'across the pond.' Politicians are in the corporations' pockets.

[edit on 11-10-2008 by Contagion2012]

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I think budweiserstuntman is deliberstely trying to make Americans more unified by attacking them all at once when America is down. This is an exercise in reverse psychology. The only Texans he has ever met are those who can afford to travel to England. They are not the norm. He has no intimacy with Americans Southern or Texan. If you do not like Americans having guns do not come to America. Chances are people who hate armed Americans will hate unarmed Americans even more.

[edit on 11-10-2008 by eradown]

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join