It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Science Behind The Sound

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Last year, I helped a Music Theory class, the goal of the unit was to understand and appreciate all forms of music. To accomplish this I asked the students (7th, and 8th graders), what they think of when they listen to any given song.

The several questions were:

1. What is your favorite genre of music? Why?

2. Who is your favorite artist? Why?

3. Think of a song that sticks out in your head, name it, and explain why it sticks out from the rest.

4. Think of your favorite song, what does it make you think of, if anything?

Well, needless to say, the answers, and responses were blank, at best. There was no grasp to the questions, and sadly they all, but a few, failed.

I believe music is a universal language, being that it is the only thing that connects us to one another, and everything, since music is in fact in everything (sound).

So, BTS...I'm going to ask you the same questions I asked those kids...

What song sticks out in your head, favorite or not, why does it stick out (do you think), and what does it make you think of when you hear it?

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Good thread!

I originally went to school for Music Education. I am music. There's hardly a time that I don't have a song stuck in my head. I'm always humming, singing, or whistling. I'm sure my neighbors love me. Not only do they have to listen to the sound of water rushing between the thin walls at my apartment, they also get to hear my beautiful voice screaming over the roaring sound. They should feel lucky. I usually charge for a my concerts......

So to answer your questions:

1. I love ALL music. Honestly, I really do. From Broadway style musicals and operas, Choral and Sympony Orchestras, all the way to Alternative Hip Hop, Soul, Jazz, Folk, Indy, Blues, Piano Rock and Alternative Rock. I have to say though, Barbershop music is my favorite of all. I've been in a Barbershop Quartet and it is amazing. Tight harmonies, sung A'capella, creating overtones that make your skin crawl. It truly is beautiful. There are few things, in music, that are harder to accomplish than singing a perfect A'capella Barbershop song.

2. I really hate these specific questions.
It changes weekly. Right now, my favorite Artists are Something Corporate/Jacks Mannequin(same front man, different bands: Piano Rock) and Acoustix(The Best Barbershop Quartet Ever!). Andrew McMahon, lead voals/piano and "brains" for Something Corporate, integrates piano and punk rock into an amazing, unforgettable and unique sound. Genius! I love it.

3 and 4. I'm combining these two because my favorite song sticks out in my head on a daily basis. The song: Symphony No. 5 in C minor, 1st movement: Allegro Con Brio, by the one and only Ludwig Van Beethoven. I've always liked this song, but it was in my first year of college that my appreciation and love for this song skyrocketed.

In one of my Music classes, Musical Conducting, we were given the sheet music to this piece and were told to follow along as the music played. We did this for the entire duration of the class. It was amazing. Seeing the intricacies and seeing the chaos that was the sheet music, and then hearing it translated into music was just exhilarating and unforgettable. It's been stuck in my head ever since.
Every time I hear that song, I immediately picture the the music in my head. I see the chaos and yet, understand it and can clearly see the notes as they are being played. It puts me into an almost trance-like state.

Think about it. You hear music everywhere you go. I know I do. I listen to music when I'm browsing ATS, writing, studying, reading, sleeping, having sex(sometimes), working out, drinking, working, playing, driving, riding, watching TV; music is Everywhere.

Why? It's because music has the ability to conjure emotions. Music is powerful. I listen to music when I'm feeling sad so I can feel happy. I listen to music when I'm pissed, or when I wanna get pissed. When I wanna get I wanna get focused or unfocused. When I wanna loosen up and have fun.

I just lost my uncle last monday, we were very close. It was music that helped me let go and let my emotions spill out. Otherwise, I would have left it bottled up inside.

Yay for music.

-Dev

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 10:13 PM
link   
I have a good theory on this one.

People listen to music as often as most of them possibly can. It's one of the oldest forms of entertainment and artistic expression.

Music produced carries with it many many frequencies. However, the frequency(s) that cause a person to (dis)like a song, depend on the frequencies the person listening to the music gives off themselves. The frequency of the emotions felt by the ones making the music is what I believe usually causes a person to (dis)like a song.

For example, someone who sings in anger may experience release of their anger by making music. The listener may experience the same relief from anger by listening to the frequency of someone else releasing their anger.

1.I have several favorite genres, all of them mood depending.

2.My favorite Artist is Fear Factory because the music is Revitalizing mentally to me.

3.Fear Factory - Ressurection (TLA Big Rock Mix) This song never fails to make me feel on top of the world. It has the ability to move me.

4. Same song as above, it gives me inspiration and fills me with compassion.

[edit on 10-10-2008 by Xilvius]

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shugo
Last year, I helped a Music Theory class, the goal of the unit was to understand and appreciate all forms of music. To accomplish this I asked the students (7th, and 8th graders), what they think of when they listen to any given song.

3. Think of a song that sticks out in your head, name it, and explain why it sticks out from the rest.

Well, needless to say, the answers, and responses were blank, at best. There was no grasp to the questions, and sadly they all, but a few, failed.

I believe music is a universal language, being that it is the only thing that connects us to one another, and everything, since music is in fact in everything (sound).

What song sticks out in your head, favorite or not, why does it stick out (do you think), and what does it make you think of when you hear it?

1. My favorite genre of music? Classic rock. When I say classc rock Im reffering to music from the mid to late 60's plus some bands from the 70's as well. So The beatles, The rolling stones, Steven miller band Jimi Hendrix Janis Joplin ETC. I like Classic rock the most because it seems to me that people put alot more efforr in to a song back then. People wrote their own songs and they wrote them well. They played their own instruments and played them well. This era of music had such a powerful impact on not only music but on the world. I.E protest songs, Flower power, woodstock. That music comes from the heart.

2. My favorite artsit? The Beatles. The Beatles had such a strong influence on music. Before them it corny bubble gum pop type music. They came along and changed things. When the came to america in 1962 ( I belive thats the correct year) at the beginning of the british invasion we didnt know just how big this band would be. They had an impact on more then just music though. They had a huge impact on fasion and the entire hippie era. Long hair popularized by the beatles. Drug usage ( a big part of the hippie era) was popularized by the beatles (along with other bands such as the rolling stones.) Their music was just so creative and so different then anything else, at least untill others started to copy them (the monkees).

3. A song that is sticking out in my head is "across the universe" By the beatles. Sung by john lennon. It sticks out because its is such a beautifully written song. So incredibly poetic. It sticks out from the rest because of that. Most songs now a days just dont have much feeling. Nor much real meaning. Across the universe sends a powerful message to me which is to say that Nothing will change my world. Nothing can make my world bad. That is why it sticks out to me. It just means so much too me.

4. My favorite song? well its hard to pick just one. Im going to go with Imagine by john lennon. This song represents to me everything we could have but dont. It represents are within are reach but we refuse to reach out and grab it. It represents love, freedom world peace, happiness. It is ssaying to me" Imagine how wonderful life can be. Why dont you go out there and make it wonderful. SO basically it makes me think of what we can have right now and what we seem to refuse to have.

Well shugo, There are my answers. I cant wait for you to tell me how badly I failed.

Either way, Good times buddy. See you in chat!

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 08:21 PM
link   

1. Rock is so very good but Rap [good rap] really, really catches my thoughts. I don't know why because I like classical, some modern, better in rock but Rap has lyrics that get straight to the point of problems and tells us the things we don't want to hear. I'm probably one of the only few that will admit that I like it. Its refreshing to hear honest to good words.

2. I have soo many favorite artists. My favorite few are The Beatles because their songs are so inspiring - They were written like they came off the top of their head, but if you listen to it they have so much -- idk influence and or meaning.

Led Zepplin, Guns N' Roses, Hootie and the Blowfish, Train ---> because these bands make beautiful songs that lighten the mood or just make you think and THEIR NOT REPETITIVE. Songs that have bad beats and repeat over and over again kill me. and in some scattered artists like Linkin Park, Mozart, Bach and Beethoven only because Linkin Park is also one of those that tell me the truth.

3. Bleed It Out - by Linkin Park - sticks in my head because it names every damn thing I've ever thought about. Things that should be spoken of but aren't. Kind of ironic considering the websites I get on

4. Favorite song is either Hey Jude by the Beatles or right now Whatever You Like by T.I. And they both do two things - Hey Jude - because it reminds me that every person has a problem, and that every person has feelings. And Whatever You Like by T.I. because my boyfriend loves it, and when he sings it I feel right with him like I understand him.

So maybe your right? It is the universal language.
That makes me really proud to think about - that without realizing it we all somehow connect. WE all want the same things.

This is a very good thread, and I can immagine your disappointment when they didn't respond so well... hey it happens.

I love music. Its addicting.

Flagged and st'rd

Peace2All
Cm.

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Honestly, there is very little music that I don’t like, I’m pretty open minded and will give anything a try. I listen to Alternative the most often, and it’s probably the closest thing to a favorite genre I have. I love to listen to the many different ways they think up to use even the most common of instruments, or sometimes even random items to enhance the song. I love how it’s usually very upbeat and loud, it wakes me up and helps me concentrate (as odd as that sounds).

My favorite artist changes regularly, but right now I would have to say it is Shinedown. I like them because not only do their songs have great music behind the words, but also the words themselves always hold some meaning that people can relate to. It helps to make those boring moments (like writing a paper for composition) a little less taxing.

Shinedown – I Own You is the first song that came to mind. It’s a pretty fast song, and since I’ve seen them perform it live, it always sticks out quite a bit from some of the songs I haven’t. The lyrics are also meaningful, and I can relate to quite a bit of them; and they also have meaning for the lead singer. In my opinion, if there’s a real reason behind it instead of just having words strung together that sound pretty, it almost always makes a song better.

I don’t really have a favorite song, though the two I’m listening to the most right now are Hand of Blood by Bullet For My Valentine and the song mentioned above, I Own You by Shinedown. The first thing they make me think of is how much fun I had at both their concerts, but more than the obvious memory linked thoughts, listening to these songs, or any music really, can be inspiring to the things I’m working on. They don’t really make me think of a specific thing, but more abstract feelings or ideas.

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 08:40 PM
link   

This varies depending on the mood. Seriously. Some days I'll kick back with the Masters of classical music, other days it's Big Band and Jazz, Techno, Alternative 90's, or classic Industrial.

I have two. Pearl Jam and Ministry. The former because they've got one of the most diverse catalogs I've ever run across, they're highly committed to their charities, and are pretty decent people in general. The latter - because there is nothing better to get my blood moving 100mph.

Oddly enough - "It's The End of the World as We Know It (and I Feel Fine) by R.E.M. It came on the radio the other day, and ofcourse, the volume went straight up. Wonderful song. Brilliant, considering Michael Stipe recorded the entire vocal track standing in a dark closet in the studio, and made up the lyrics off the cuff.

That, and we all love screaming "Leonard Bernstein!"

Favorite song of all time....Jesus Built My Hot Rod - Ministry. There is nothing better than having a song playing full volume that makes you think you're driving full throttle in a classic hotrod even if in reality you're just sitting on your butt in front of a computer.

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Thanks for the replies so far everyone, they've been great!

I can immagine your disappointment when they didn't respond so well... hey it happens.

Yes, it was quite sad really. The fact is, is that young people, in general (I know there are exceptions), do not appreciate music the way it is meant to be appreciated.

I was one of the exceptions. I was raised mostly by my mother, who is a band director, and capable of bringing the best out of anyone as far as musical tallent. A pure gift. My dad lacked actual musical tallent, but tended to appreciate music for what it was -- well...he had tallent, but he never kept it going. My aunt is a seasoned percussionist at Bradley University (a professor), and has played with the likes of Manheim Steamroller!

I went through school playing 3 instruments: Trombone, Cello, and finally Trumpet. I currently can play Piano, but I couldn't give you the names of the notes, not because I can't read music, but because I don't know where C is on the keypad.

Another member asked me to reply to my own questions here, and I said I would indeed do it after a few replies, so I'll go ahead and answer them as best I can right now. These questions can be difficult to people who have various tastes, and I know some of you have noticed that! So why don't we just go for at the moment if it's too hard for one to pick a particular one.

I have no favorite genre of music. To me all genres have the "obnoxious sound" and of course, all of them have a splendid sound to the ears, and to ones self. Now, because I call it obnoxious doesn't mean it's not music in some way, it just means I have a different choice. I love the smooth sound of jazz, the emotion poured into some rock, the stories painted with symphonic sounds, and the pictures painted with trance.

My favorite artist tends to vary from time to time.
Tritonal is a trance group, and tend to produce very uplifting sounds that paint a very very sunny type of picture, or even sometimes a darker feel to them, but they always keep their melody very much present.

Oceanlab is another trance group, and tend to produce more chilled sounds, painting that beachfront kind of relaxation kind of sound. The kind that you could just lounge on the beach all day listening to, and just sip on a drink.

And of course...I do have an idol in music, my first idol, and the one who I still keep to this day. Two actually. Miles Davis and Maynard Ferguson. The masters of brass talk. They were able to make the trumpet talk, and their bands always sounded so lively, it was a feeling that just made you want to get up and dance.

A song that sticks far out in my head right now, mainly because I've been listening to it so much if Flow's World End, from the Code Geass Series.

The song, minus lyrics (I have the dubbed version too), seems to accumulate all forms instrumental pieces. Combining rock, with that dance/trance feel, and bringing in that synthesized feel with the sond of brass. Granted I know that there are others which do this, but this particular sunny sounding tune sticks out among the rest at the time.

My favorite song at the moment is Oceanlab's On A Good Day. When I hear this song, a picture, or scenery comes into mind. One of those sunny days that might've started out not so good, but just keeps getting better. Perhaps the image of the sun not quite ready to set gets painted, that time just before sunset, where the sky is still blue, but it would be shimmering on the water. The kind of sight that just brings a smile to your face.

It's one of those songs that I just can't be sad whenever it's playing.

Anyway...those are my answers to my questions. I'm still interested in hearing everyone elses! Thanks for the support in the thread so far!

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 09:14 PM
link   

I have several - Classic Rock, Soft Rock mainly.

Prince - Musical genius, with the lyrics, and sound of his music.

Hysteria - Def Leppard. Why, Takes me back to a time in my life where that song just said it all.

I can't pick a favorite song. I've tried and I just can't pick one.

Nice Thread.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 02:04 AM
link   

One of my favorite genres is meditation music... because it is soothing and supports a healthy mind.

One of my favorite artists is Tool... Because of the the talent and intention of each band member, as well as their live shows. They are life changing experiences every time.

I am a child of God. It sticks out because it is likely the first song I learned as a child going to the LDS church. It was sung every Sunday in primary.

I think of innocence and purity. Actually at trying times, I have sung this song in my head with great results.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 02:47 AM
link   

Skater punk, because it sounds good and is rarely (but not entirely) commericalised. I also dont mind a bit of Dj Tiesto'ish type music

Ok, not really

Pennywise would have to be my favorite at the moment, but depends on mood

Rebel Rebel by David Bowie.....just love the guitar rift

Dont have a favorite song really, depends on what mood Im in

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 02:57 AM
link   

I like (Classic) Rock; (Brackets for the term that I despise!!) mostly music from the 60's and 70's. I like some Jazz, Alternative, and Easy Listening, and some Classical.

Mostly Rock and Roll though, is where my interest lies, I love and can appreciate a killer Guiltar Solo, preferably Loud Guitars (but not Heavy Metal loud).

Jazz is great, I love how Jazz is so free. It breaks all the rules of music, with syncopation, and its all interpretation. When it comes to things like Music and Writing, I hate the rules that are so arbitrary. This is probably why I break them. I prefer to write whatever I'm thinking, exactly how I'm thinking...and thats what I think jazz is.

Easy Listening, that you can just sit and study to. The kind of music that is so mellow, and doesn't get you depressed, or make you overly joyful. Just the kinda of mindless music, that puts you at ease. Perhaps thats why its called Easy Listening.

Some Classical is good, I like the classic Classical, such as Beethoven, Mozart, Chopin, Oscar Peterson, and Tchaikovzky. I played "The Gentle Waltz" by Oscar Peterson for my RCM Examination 3 years ago, and it was probably the best peice of music I have ever played, or had the pleasure to hear someone play it correctly. I played a piece by Chopin the year before, and it was so full of hurt, and emotion. I always felt like I should cry or something when i was done playing it, or listening to my teacher play it. It was such a touching song... Classical still holds a place for me, even though I haven't touched a Piano in 2 years.

Hands Down - The Doors. Close second - Coldplay. Third - The Cure.

In my opinion, Jim Morrison was an excellent song writer. I would give anything to sit and do a "read me your poetry" session. I think most of the songs he wrote were amazing, and contributed greatly to the Rock and Rol Scene in the Late 60's, Early 70's (until his death of course in 1971). I'm not so much a fan of the "The Doors of the 20th Century", it might be because Ian Atsbury (The Cult) is trying to look like Jim. That pisses me off. I hate that. Don't try and clone Jim, he's probably rolling over in his grave right now. Jim was an excellent Front Man.

Coldplay....Chris Martin (along with the rest of the band) have written some of the best modern songs that I have ever heard. This is all personal opinion of course. And besdies, he is a very charasmatic Front Man.

The Cure... Whenever i'm having an awful day, or totally depressed I listen to The Cure. Disentegration is such a broody song, and I just feel like the instrumentals in it, take me somewhere else. To that place, with Music, and where nothing else matters.

I have lots of Favorites though, but those 2 are the Top. (Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, Bob Marley, The Beatles, Guns and Roses etc... just to name a few).

The Crystal Ship-The Doors
This song sticks out for me, because THIS is my universal song. This is my personal song. This is my song for everything. I drink to this song, I get creative with this song, I cook to this song, I have bubble baths with this song. This song, is so well written, so well played, and overall so addicting, that I can't imagine WHY Its the most played song on my iPod!

Fix You-Coldplay
Because I am a flawed human being. I have problems. I have issues. I am not perfect. And this song, just reminds me of this fact. I can relate to so many lyrics in this song, that I feel like the song was written for me - I know that it wasn't, but I can identify with it.

Ahh.., my favorite song..I don't have ONE favorite song. I have MANY favorite songs. I have favorite songs by lots of people!

Me and Bobby McGee - Janis Joplin
- My Aunt and I always sing this together, and try to sing harmonies.

Sweet Home Alabama - Lynard Skynard
- This was the "lets stop mourning grandpa, get drunk, and have a family jam session" song. Everyone played something, everyone sang, and my cousin played the Bongo's on a set of pails.

Peaceful Easy Feeling - The Eagles
- Again, my Aunt and I sing to this song. This is one of my favorite lovey songs, and besdies, its The Eagles.

18 Wheels, and a Dozen Roses - Linda Rosenstadt(sp)
- This is the song that first sparked my interest in singing. My Aunt (who was the primary musical influence in my life) used to sing this song when I was little. I watched her sing in the Hotel Lounge when I was really little (they used to let me in to watch her perform), and She always would say "This is for my neice, who loves this song."

Lay some Happiness on me - Dean Martin
- My mother is in no way musically incined, but this is the song that she sang to me to put me to sleep. Its the song she sang to me when she put band-aids on my knees, and its the song she sang to me over the phone when I broke up with my Fiancee.

Wish you were Here - Pink Floyd
- Its the guitars. In the beginning of the song for the first 2 minutes or so, its just guitars, and its awesome. They're just strumming. The kind of guitars that make you close your eyes, and just relax with the volume up as loud as it can go.

Swans - Unkle Bob
- This song, tears at my heart when I hear the strings start playing. I cried the first time I heard this song. I like to pretend that I don't have emotions, but I assure you, nothing gets the tears going faster than a Violin. The best part of the song, is the last 30 seconds... The phrase "You tell me that you love me, but you never want to see me again." is repeated 4 times, and is the most powerful piece of lyricalness (made up word) and music combined. In my opinion.

- Carrot

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Shugo

Rock - all sorts. Because I like sex, drugs, shamanism and loud noises.

Led Zeppelin. For the sound. There were a lot of bands in the Sixties trying for that hammer-of-the-gods sound: step forward Cream, the Jimi Hendrix Experience, Mountain, the Jeff Beck Group, Iron Butterfly et al. Between them they tried every trick in the book, made some fine music in the process but never really nailed it. Then along came genius producer J.P. Page and steam-powered Victorian wrecking-ball J.H. Bonham and bam (literally), the job was done. Of course the leather-lunged Priapus and the guy who turned down the musical director's job at King's College, Cambridge, were as vital as the other two, but it was the drum attack and the production genius that really did it*.

The Wedding List by Kate Bush. I think it's because of the very strangely syncopated verse melody.

Doctor Wu by Steely Dan. It takes me right into Danworld, that place populated by exotic-cocktail-drinking lounge-lizards, Hawaiian-shirted drug dealers and people who like doing kinky things in bed... all as imagined by a teenaged sophisticate with time on his hands and a large collection of bop albums and a crush on his thirteen-year-old cousin.

Jimmy Page is also my personal guitar hero, but that's neither here nor there...

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I feel compelled to ressurect this thread for some reason. I've also thought of a few other things to help disect that drive behind people's passion of music.

I'm sure everyone has heard country music in their life before, or EDM, or something of the sort. What's turned you on or off some of these genres you've heard? I don't mean the "it's crap" idea either, I mean really, what bothers you about it?

I'd also be interested to hear how many of you listen to music and how many "listen" to music. What story does some of your favorite songs paint for you?

Don't know why I didn't present these in the OP, but I'm certainly interested.

For me, my questioning would be on the subject of the self acclaimed "death metal", it has nothing to do with the fact that I don't necessarily appreciate the sounds that it gives. What's more, I find it amazing a drummer or guitarist can keep up with the beats in many of the songs out there. What I am not so much a fan of is the flashing visuals that always seems to accompany them...let alone the fact I can never understand a word those people are saying.

Music to me has always been about melody, and messages, not about binary sounds that come together to create a beat. By that same token I'd factor in dubstep to the same category that it sounds almost to me like just noise, but at least in dubstep, Wyckman for example, uses an underlying melodic bass that can be just incredible.

As for my second question, I'm currently addicted to a track that Estiva just put out on his new album entitled "Autumn Leaves" by Temple One and Hannah Ray.

His take on the tune is absolutely magical, to me, you get a real sense of that green grass, sun shining, hilltop overlooking the lake near sunset, but not quite with the leaves falling around you. Almost as if otherworldly. It certainly is a tune that could take you on quite a ride, and I think the melody and the scenery that goes along with it is absolutely stunning. Hannah's voice of course just pushes me over the edge everytime. "The leaves in autumn are falling down."
edit on 9.12.2011 by Shugo because: Added answers

new topics

top topics

join