It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alpha Rubicon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Has anyone seen the Alpha Rubicon web site? They're pretty hard-core and membership is limited, but they have a ton of information on the "free" part of their web site.

In particular, I highly recommend that everyone reads this article on what they call Backpack Survival. It's a 10,000 foot view on what survival really means in a SITX. I spent a good 20 minutes going over it looking for some good quotes, but it's ALL good.

Read, educate yourself, survive.

Cheers.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I am not familiar with Alpha Rubicon, but I have read much of Duncan Long. Much of what he says is true, especially to the general public. However there are those that have lived out of a backpack for extended times and done quite well, I am one of them. But bear in mind I was alone, I am well versed and experienced, and there was little or no economic instability. In a true bug out type situation it would be expected to be better in a more rural setting. however it may become necessary to fall back and redeploy. Sometimes it might be better to abandon the "homestead" and come back at a later time. Hence the need for a system of caches through out your territory.

respectfully

reluctantpawn

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 02:25 PM
link   
By Heck Alpha Rubicon, now there is a blast from the past, a rave from the grave
They have been around for decades, if you like their archives try googling the Rocky Mountain Survival Group ( they are being hosted by someone else these days) but they also have a huge great library you can trawl through........... Oh yes Also try Frugal Squirrel thats another oldy but also has a huge archive of material.

www.frugalsquirrels.com...

OK Rocky Mountain has changed its name to SSSI or something

www.ssrsi.org...

[edit on 10-10-2008 by Northern Raider]

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I figured at least a few of you had to have seen it. For someone like myself who's only recently "woken up" I find it to be a really interesting site. It has certainly opened my eyes to many things I hadn't thought of.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by CeltAngel
I figured at least a few of you had to have seen it. For someone like myself who's only recently "woken up" I find it to be a really interesting site. It has certainly opened my eyes to many things I hadn't thought of.

I'm pleased to read that you are receptive to other sources of informative, and enquiring mind is a bloody good thing, enjoy your reading before some govt bans the survivalist sites.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Ive been to the Rubicon site many times. It truly is a wealth of information and some of the brightest survival minds around. I how ever am against closed sites. There is a lot of people out there who deserve the survival knowledge but cant afford there fee or have the time to deal with there very stringent rules.

It is the Rubicon that encouraged me to start my own survival site. I am not trying to steal members away from them I just want to give the people who cant afford to join there site a place to go. I was well on my way to until my site got hacked. I had to start all over again because the hacker wiped out my data base.

I am glad they have a free section and have actually learned a few things from there free information.

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by angryamerican
Ive been to the Rubicon site many times. It truly is a wealth of information and some of the brightest survival minds around. I how ever am against closed sites. There is a lot of people out there who deserve the survival knowledge but cant afford there fee or have the time to deal with there very stringent rules.

It is the Rubicon that encouraged me to start my own survival site. I am not trying to steal members away from them I just want to give the people who cant afford to join there site a place to go. I was well on my way to until my site got hacked. I had to start all over again because the hacker wiped out my data base.

I am glad they have a free section and have actually learned a few things from there free information.

I think its very unjust and unfair to try and charge people for survivalist information, In the past people have often asked why I dont charge for me E book on retreat survivalism, I just dont believe its right or fair to charge for something like basic survival ideas. I admire your willingness to run a free forum.

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I applied for membership and was denied they said I couldn't contribute any thing because I was new to the survival movement. They suggested I Waite to apply again until I got out of school, and had a few real world experiences under my belt.

My father in law says groups like that are one of the worst types of discrimination. They figure because I am in college that I am not worth saving. I didn't bother telling them about my father in laws past. I wanted to do it on my own. After I told my father in law he said he would never join a closed group, every body deserves a chance to live.

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by quantum wind
I applied for membership and was denied they said I couldn't contribute any thing because I was new to the survival movement. They suggested I Waite to apply again until I got out of school, and had a few real world experiences under my belt.

There loss is our gain, sadly there are plenty of groups who think they are survival EXPERTS**, and they get vain and conceited, I choose to believe that everyone young and old, novice or old lag has something positive to contribute to survivalism

Look at the word EXPERT,and what does it tell you about the people who use it to describe themselves or their groups? I shall tell you
EXPERT = EX as in a Hasbeen,and (s)PERT as in a DRIP UNDER PRESSURE

[edit on 12-10-2008 by Northern Raider]

[edit on 12-10-2008 by Northern Raider]

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I started looking at there site a long time ago, a few years ago I offered to join and write a bunch of articles. I was politely told I would have to PAY for the PRIVILEGE to even post and that there were no more "spots" available for "unexperienced members" (I still have no idea what they mean by this, guess running an Ambulance Service means I'm unexperienced???). My thoguhts, "A TOTAL BUNCH OF POSERs!!!

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Here is something to think about:

The Rubicon: it's a private organisation. So - just like your own home, it's open or closed as the 'home owner' sees fit. I limit who enters my home and likely, so does everyone else on this forum. The fee was $5 per month for the many years that I was a contributing member. The price is not a barrier for anyone outside of a decaying third world country. In the civilised world, mowing one lawn for pay would more than cover that small fee for a few months.

The information is generally quite good. They have some international members, who add a valuable, global perspective for the majority of North Americans who are on the site. They're far from perfect - and the good news is that they do not claim to be perfect - just good at what they do. Indeed, they are very, very good compared to much of what we all see on the internet - some would say the best. It's a matter of what rings your bell. Me? I let everyone on the site know that I was going to step away and focus more on prepping for long range sailing/cruising, else I'd still be there. They handled this in a top-shelf manner.

If you can join - do so, BUT be prepared to contribute articles, inpur on the boards etc. That is one hard and fact rule: if a person joins but does not add to the team efforts - they will never get off of probation. Again - it's their 'home' and it's a free will decision for those who operate the site and maintain it's infrastructure.

Have a Good Life and Set a Little Aside for Friends & Neighbors,

RadioRay ..._ ._

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Anonymous ATS here is the other side of the coin, for you to think about.

One problem its not a home or a house its a web site. I agree they are very good. If they would open it up and ease back on some of there more stringent rules they may even be the best.

Nobody is arguing there good were just saying to cut others off like that college kid is wrong. closed community breed mis-trust. That is the last thing the survivalist/preparedness community needs.

The quality of the content is immaterial if only the chosen few get it.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I just happened upon the Alpha Rubicon site and I had to *bump* this topic.
Excellent information informational resource for anyone at all.
*~

top topics

join