It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Its only a gut feeling BUT

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Dunno about you good people but something about this financial meltdown is making me nervous. its not the stocks and shares crap or the mortgage failings because I can not afford to save or buy shares. But something tells me the way oil is falling in price, grain prices are also falling yet because of the crap weather most farmers have had to use fuel to dry their crops pushing up prices, plus OPEC talking about cutting production, plus countrys saying they may not be able to import oil or gas shortly because they can not afford it. Plus greedy city traders and financiers holding onto or hoarding their billions etc etc. I have a gut feeling we could see some availability/ supply/ price problems with our essential supplies. I think I will take some modest precautionary step by increasing my food stores by a third, and increase my stored supplies of diesel by say another 80 litres, I will bulk buy some more containers of rice, wheat, pasta , flour. its not a panicy move simply precautionary and not expensive either. I think if anyone can take advantage of the worlds problems by refusing to supply or bumping up prices of oil, gas, wheat etc they will. Sometimes all you have to go on is instinct and gut feelings and this I think is one of those times.

[edit on 10-10-2008 by Northern Raider]

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Like you Northern Raider i have a gut feeling this is not going to end well. Right now its 50:50, all it takes is another few of the links in the chain to go and start off a proper chain reaction that nobody can stop no matter how much money you throw at it.

Starting to stockpile food (don't forget water) will probably be seen as overkill by alot of people you know, but its going to do no harm except give you that bit more of a breathing space if it is needed.

This thing could go on for months or years before we know, or it could happen tomorrow. But if and when it does their will be riots over fuel and food make no mistake.

Not even 6 months ago their was a strike at a refinery here and ques for petrol were insane and infact dried out all 4 of the stations withing no time at all.

Again about 7 or 8 years ago their were mass blockades of refineries and i remember watching the shelves empty of staples in hours and shops start to shut by the 2rd day. It only lasted a few days, but that was enough to almost shut the country down. With OPEC starting to winge about not making enough money and thinking about cutting back on supply it will only take a few days for the shops to run dry and the petrol stations to run out of fuel.

Im off to go assume the brace position... it about to get rough!

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Don’t forget a few basic medicines - like an extra over the counter pain reliever.
Any medicines you may need on a daily basis.
Some clove oil (teeth).
Also salt - I know it sounds silly, but you wouldn’t believe how important salt is.

Hang in there!

...taps...

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I'm with you on that feeling. I am not as concerned with the price of gas, as I got a DUI and am unable to drive right now, but I am about the cost of food.

I have started stocking up on non-perishable food, water, and I bought a first aid kit from Walgreens last night. I need to keep going though. Hope there is time.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Just got back from town, got me a couple more 5 gal. gas can and some fuel stabilizer. Also figured to get another box of 12 gauge shells a big box of salt and few other things that won't go bad. I think that I will buy another 50# bag of grain and sack it up.

I too have a gut feeling that things will get worse before they get better. My wife asked me to look at the canning goods at the store, they were out! Seems the good people of my small town are looking at putting away for a hard winter. There were no 5 gal. gas cans on the shelf either, they had four left in the back room. Is this just localized to me or are others on ATS seeing this as well?

This seems like it could be the start of a slow motion train wreck. WD

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by waterdoctor
Just got back from town, got me a couple more 5 gal. gas can and some fuel stabilizer. Also figured to get another box of 12 gauge shells a big box of salt and few other things that won't go bad. I think that I will buy another 50# bag of grain and sack it up.

I too have a gut feeling that things will get worse before they get better. My wife asked me to look at the canning goods at the store, they were out! Seems the good people of my small town are looking at putting away for a hard winter. There were no 5 gal. gas cans on the shelf either, they had four left in the back room. Is this just localized to me or are others on ATS seeing this as well?

This seems like it could be the start of a slow motion train wreck. WD

Fuel prices are falling around here BUT some of the fuel stations are reporting their deleveries are late, I think if the SHTF is going to be in a few weeks when the current bunch of oil tankers from the middle east have arrived and offloaded.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I got this feeling too...

Bad BAD vibrations...
Bad foreshawdowing of whats to come...

I have an emergency stockpile in my car...
A tent, some water, knifes, hatchet, sleeping bag...

No food though... so broke... i can barely eat as it is, nevermind the rainy day stockpile...

I am this || close to just bailing on everything...

I need to get some money together... i want to buy a sail boat.

Nothing fancy, just a small sail boat, with a cabin, mabye a 25 footer...
Something seaworthy...

Then, when the SH!T hits the fan, i can just sail away... sail away from this muck...

Just need a fishing pole, and a TON of fishing gear, (and about several years supply of food) And water...

I just want to totaly dissapear... why am i going to college, busting my balls everyday, for a peice of paper... to make myself feel good...

I have an uncle, crazy uncle, he lives in florida, middle of a city, but in his backyard, he has converted to a wildlife reserve... not a big property, not all all, just a normal lot size, he dug out a Pond, has tons of fish, has birds, and he just lives there... he took his original small nothing house, with an empty yard, and has built onto the house, and redid the entire yard... his job, none...

But he is happy...

When i get my degree, then get a job, and work endless hours... i will have money, but will i be happy? I doubt i would be as happy as my crazy uncle...

I can see it, i could be VERY happy just sailing around the world.. endlessly, stopping where i want... Far away from this country that is falling apart...

Far away... just me, and a bunch of books...

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 07:13 PM
link   
My son just called from collage, he was down and told me he blew a midterm, could not stop thinking about the economy. I told him that hit the books and let dad worry about the other stuff. That is the best I can do for him right now. For you go ahead and stick it out in school, get the paper and then plan on that boat. People in their teens and early 20's have not seen bad economic times. People my age have lived through them, made ends meet and came out of it still breathing. In one five month period between my wife and I we were laid off three times. We ate a lot of beans and rice, stood in line with our cards at the unemployment office and worked day jobs. Now we don't have any debts, that piece of paper did that for me. I could get all upset about my 401K, no point its just money. I am more worried about my son and young people like you. It is so easy to get caught up in the what if, you have got what you can together to be prepared that is the best you can do. In a way you and my son are lucky, you may not see it that way right now, you don't have a lot to lose and a lot more years ahead of you than me to make your dreams come true.

I still remember being in collage and not having much to eat. I had a .22 rifle and would go out and shoot critters and bring then back to the dorm and cook them in my crock pot. You put enough hot sauce on anything and you can eat it. First year at school I lost about 20 pounds. Never had to eat road kill though, I did think about it a time or two.

I don't know if this helps or not, bad things happen but its like the saying goes "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger". Keep safe and look to people for help. WD

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 09:42 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I don't think a SHTF scenario is likely any time soon, at least where I'm sitting in Oz.

Although, it has prompted me to up supplies in the trusty bug out bag.

It's always been a precautionary standby.

If people find their money missing, all sorts of mischief could break out.

[edit on 10-10-2008 by mattguy404]

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 09:49 PM
link   
One thing is for sure, something is about to happen. it may take a week a month or year, but something is on the horizon and it don't look good.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Have had this feeling for a while, so I understand what you're talking about. I don't have any fears for ourselves -- I've done the best for the two of us that can be done with our resources and wherewithall. We have nothing I can think of to stock up, water resources are always plumb, growing a bountiful garden and fruits, adept at fishing.

When there is no work for us, we will bow out of the rat race and just survive. What frustrates me the most of all is that there are only six people I am aware of on this island that are in the same mindset, and I suppose we'll have to watch out for each other. Oh yeah, certainly we'll share, but how much of a share of the fruit of our labors should go to people who have resources to trade, versus people who didn't do a single thing to prepare? That's a sticky wicket. I suspect that the "grasshoppers" will become dangerous to us "ants", and we, in turn, will become dangerous back. Sorrowful. My efforts to talk to good people about the possiblilty of hard times falls on deaf ears.

You know what? I have to hope that I am utterly and hopelessly full of crap, and that almost everyone else is right. That's the best scenario for us. That goes against my training -- .......... plan for the opposition's capabilities, not their intentions......

argh.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Northern Raider

Consider this a wake up call. I had mine April 1961 when the CIA and some Cuban exiles invaded Cuba's Bay of Pigs. It was the first time I had seen my parents go into survival mode. Our country was gripped in fear. Many thought WW3 would start. It didn't and we made it through.
BTW, our CIA was defeated by the Cuban government.

It's time for this new generation to wake up and prepare for whatever comes about. Necessity is the mother of invention. I do believe eventually much good will come out of the chaos.

Stand strong.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 10:18 PM
link   

I still remember being in collage and not having much to eat. I had a .22 rifle and would go out and shoot critters and bring then back to the dorm and cook them in my crock pot. You put enough hot sauce on anything and you can eat it. First year at school I lost about 20 pounds. Never had to eat road kill though, I did think about it a time or two.

What "critters" are you talking about?

You kept a firearm on campus?

I agree, though. Getting a college degree opens doors.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I personally feel a little nervous as well,i've been shopping on and off for the last five days,i came in with a sack of rice on my shoulder and my wife laughed at me,she thinks i'm nuts,my dog doesn't though
'(don't forget the dog/cat food!)
Most people (my wife included)are so unaware and will completely freak out if this market goes from bad to worse,we will open up our home to other families if necessary,so i am stocking for more than just us, just in case,this is a time when people need to help one another.

[edit on 10-10-2008 by all2human]

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Ime with the rest of you. something doesn't feel right. We are in the process of doubling all our stores.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by JediK

What "critters" are you talking about?

You kept a firearm on campus?

Firearms were legal on campus at that time at the school I went to.

The critters were just about any thing that was legal to harvest. Tree squirrels were one of the easy ones to get, they just needed a lot of hot sauce.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Northern Raider

I also have the same gut feeling that it might be hard to get supplies or that we won't be able to afford them. We're stocking up on food and water now just to be prepared in case things get really bad. If my gut feeling is wrong and everything turns around in the economy, then we'll have plenty of food and won't have to do much shopping for several months.

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by mattguy404
I don't think a SHTF scenario is likely any time soon, at least where I'm sitting in Oz.

Although, it has prompted me to up supplies in the trusty bug out bag.

It's always been a precautionary standby.

If people find their money missing, all sorts of mischief could break out.

[edit on 10-10-2008 by mattguy404]

A pair of middle aged teachers who live a few doors away from me are gutted because they had their savings in one of the icelandic banks thats folded, they were not saying how much they lost, but they did say it was ALL of their savings. Poor sods.

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 07:24 AM
link   
It's the 'GUT FEELING' that's made me renew gear and supplies.

I got back in the UK and the sense of misery hit me like a brick wall a couple of years back.
I certainly wouldn't have stayed if it hadn't been for unfortunate circumstances.

There's NOTHING optimistic left anywhere around here,no sign of improvement..
So there can only be total change or total collapse.

A grand on camping/trekking/biking equipment must have seemed crazy to some,but it's given me peace of mind..and that's worth far more than a bit of cash in the bank..ESPECIALLY now.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join