It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should I be buying food/water/guns/ammo?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Honest question here.

Should I tell my parents to stock up on food, water, guns, and ammo? Just in case. I live away from home, as I am a college student living on campus, but with the continued economic collapse, I am getting worried that the whole system might crumble. In which case, the only things of value would be food, water, guns, and ammo.

Now, the thing is, I don't want to sound like a crazy person, telling my parents to stock up on such items. I'll sound like a conspiracy theorist (loon), telling my parents "the sky is falling, the sky is falling!" Then again, I don't want to be caught with my pants down in case the system does collapse.

Thoughts?

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Hi,
You should inform your parents of your concern. They will listen without thinking your a nut. A lot of college kids and even younger children are worried about what may be coming our way.
I am a mother of a teenager and a pre-teen. I listen to the concerns of both. What worries them...worries me.
I have taken precautions, and think everyone should!!!
Be safe,
Karen

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I was thinking the same thing this morning...I seem to be the only one in my family that pays any attention to what is going on, I don't want to scare them, but I also don't want them to be taken completely by suprise and then say "why didn't you say something?"

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   
If they are likely to ignore their offsprings pleadings then perhaps if you look up those articles on preparedness that were recently published in papers like the New York Times, Many of those articles about people taking sensible precautionary measure were fully endorsed by the papers, instead of their normal anti survivalist measures.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I am in the same boat you are. I just withdrew 1000 from my bank and am going to a gun show tomorrow. I might be getting a good deal from a dealer who will be there. I live near a college campus in the middle of a city. I definitely would like to have some type of protection in SHTF scenario.

I would be screwed with living on the land type of stuff, but both brothers in law have those items. Just a matter of when/if should I leave???

Everyone in my family thinks I am a conspiracy theorist/nutjob, and that everything will be fine. VOTE OBAMA, he will fix everything, is basically all they will say.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Yes man. I dont think there will be collapse, but its always good to have a stash just in case.

If you're afraid of telling them about it because you think they will think youre mad, then show them my thread called "Are the masses waking up?". Its a screenshot of a discussion on the main page of the google trends discussion forum, which shows traders talking about buying guns and ammo instead of stocks.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   
It wouldn't hurt to tell your parents how you feel. Has it occured to you that they are already aware of the situation and just not talking about it with you?

Do you have a part time job? If not then maybe it would be good to work and make money to buy food and water for your family. You are probably too young to purchase a gun.

Actions speak louder than words. Show your parents you are willing to work and help the cause.

I wish you and all our young people the best during these troubled times.
Stand strong......you are our future.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   
My son is in collage now and he asked the same question about 10 days ago. We told him that we had a lot of assets in cash in insured accounts, that we had about 6 weeks of food on hand, we have our house paid off and were in better shape than most to weather the coming troubles. So talk to your folks, see what they have done and make suggestions. If you have a credit card stop using it. keep some cash in your pocket. Buy a good pair of walking boots. We sent our son an internal frame pack "for your books and stuff". If you have a car keep the tank full. Keep hitting the books, it will keep your mind off things and give you a little time to breath. WD

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I have wife with the same problem, i keep telling we need to stock up just for a little while so that we can watch the situation. all she tells me is that i need to stay off the conspiracy web sites that it is screwing with my since of reality. i asked her where is she getting her information that everything is fine, she said we were busy at work today. i told her that i geust that means that the 250 people my company is laying off must mean that we are busy too. my place of work is the ultimate baromiter for the market becuase when we slow down that means the market slowing down. i guess i'm just going to have to take matters into my own hands and she will just have to get over it. i suggest you do what you can, when it get bad there no time to say i told you so. hope all is well, get formilyer with your neighbors.

[edit on 10-10-2008 by crawgator406]

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I'm in the same situation myself. I've tried speaking with my family, but it really can be difficult. I was persistent, but they always ask, "Why, why, why?" It was easier to convince a friend's family than it has been so far to convince my own.
I'm far away from home but will be on break soon. I've bought some stuff to take to them. It is not that expensive to stock up on food, especially if you are thinking about basics and not so much about pleasing the tongue.

Oh, and please people -- if you are to stock up on food, remember your pets! They need to eat too.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Start logically and simply.

There's a chance you might lose a job for whatever reason and have trouble finding a new one. You keep a savings of liquid cash just in case, right? (You better be) So what if you can afford rent for that period but not food? Never hurts to pick up a couple extra boxes of spaghetti and some canned stuff when you go shopping.

What if there's a flood or the water line busts due to a cold winter? Couldn't hurt to keep a little hiking/camping type water filter around.

The guns part could be more difficult depending on your current cultural situation. I've always had guns but the looming threat of an Obama/Biden AWB has given me cause to stock up on the would-be banned items. Perfectly rational seeing as how I had to suffer endlessly under Clintons AWB.

If you've never been a shooter/hunter/owner or live in some hyper-dependent urban setting it may be more difficult to justify the purchases. I would approach it from an investment standpoint. Under Clintons ban simple things like high-capacity magazines quadrupled in value. Everything pre-ban did. Buy for investment then when you have a case of mags say to yourself "gee, this is all pretty stupid without a rifle to accompany them" and you've just rationalized purchasing an AR-15.

Dont go off about the NAU or Mashall Law or any of that tin-foil hat stuff. Focus on what you would need and any experiences you've been through even if it was just a 24 hour power outage from a storm. Let it build from there naturally.

And dont get suckered into all the yuppie/gimmicky L.L. Bean "survival" crap and waste money on Eddie Bower edition survival solar tanning beds.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Double Eights
Honest question here.

I am getting worried that the whole system might crumble. In which case, the only things of value would be food, water, guns, and ammo.

Honest answer, have you ever tried to live with out toilet paper?
Think I am kidding you? Anyway, if you are asking should you make preps I would most definitely say yes. But I don't suggest you spend every last dime on it. I would also suggest many things that go along with it.
Learning about how to use the items you are talking about if first and foremost. Take a class in firearm self defense. Put together a bag that can sustain you for a week with out any other support. Then go camping with it, bring a notebook and record what you fine you are missing. Restock include your additions and repeat. One last thought, even if we are going into a depression it will not be SHTF. Now I am not saying it will be nothing and that their won't be trials and so on. But the people killing each other for food will still be a long way off. If you really believe that having preps is a good thing then good for you. But take it slow and sane and a step at a time.
If you want a firearm and have never owned one before start with a rimfire handgun or rifle. And shoot it a lot. Learn the basics and get as accurate as you can with it before you move on.

Originally posted by Double EightsNow, the thing is, I don't want to sound like a crazy person, telling my parents to stock up on such items. I'll sound like a conspiracy theorist (loon), telling my parents "the sky is falling, the sky is falling!" Then again, I don't want to be caught with my pants down in case the system does collapse.
Thoughts?

I would say get used to it. They will think you are off your rocker even if they go along with you to a point. This is just my opinion. But Family in many cases like to poke fun at people prepping. Try it and see what the reaction is. Be calm and state that you have concerns and what they are.
If they tell you you are nuts take that into consideration and go from there.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by crawgator406

Survival Forum - Northeastshooters.com
When you have to take matters in to your own hands.
www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=34 - 49k - Cached - Similar pages

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illahee
reply to post by crawgator406

Survival Forum - Northeastshooters.com
When you have to take matters in to your own hands.
www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=34 - 49k - Cached - Similar pages

Funny meeting another NES'er here.

Or rather, probably not funny at all, but perfectly logical.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Guns are good to have for protecting yourself from the idiots who will not take this time right now to prepare and then go around and try to steal someone elses supplies. But even if that were to happen, guns are the last resort.

First, try to tell the idiot "hey, instead of you tring to steal my stuff, how about I show you some survival techniques so you can go hunt some food and make a shelter and stay alive".

Its all a matter of how people handle a situation. It can be handled in a civilized way, or do the idiot dance and handle things the stupid way.

Cheers!!!!

[edit on 10-10-2008 by RFBurns]

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Ya you should be doing it now. I have been buying 8 kg bags of rice every pay check now for 2 months, They are sealed in a plastic bag and should be stored in a cool dry place. The first few I bought cost only 12 dollars ( canadian) but now the price has gone up to 15 dollars . I expect it to go higher yet over the next few months. I plan to buy other items such as dryed soup mixes and dryed beans etc.
If it turns out I never have to use them then no big deal as it will only be maybe 200 to 300 hunderd bucks I spent for a small peice of mind. Hell I know people who spend 100 to 120 bucks in one night in a bar or eating out.
Surely most people can afford too do this , just dont buy that 24 of beer one week or dont go out to eat one week etc etc...

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Yes you should be getting food, water,m supplies and ammo and know how to use your gun for gathering food and protection. Id suggest a couple firearms, a .22 for small game hunting, great for small game and cheap to operate there shells are $13 for 500 of them , then a decent 12 gauge pump for protection deer hunting short barrel and a duck barrel and a nice assortment of slugs and birdshot and you ave a great setup for almost any situation..

As for food canned stuff stores for years.. get staples like flour rise sugar salt pepper and spices.. ddont forget powered milk and instand potatoes etc..

AS for supplies get the common stuff dont for get the once and while stuff like rubbing alcohaol , hydrogen peroxide, get asprin and other types of pain relieves and benadryl to help with alregic reactions.. could be a life saver.

Also get toilet paper and feminine supplies for any femailes in your group, if you have young kids , cloth diapers could be a life saver , and if they dont use then there great for wound dressing and rags ..

get some small game bear traps and other hunting and fishing supplies.

there is so much you can do ,

My supplies even include a 45 watt solar panel kit and batteries and electronice like a small 5" tv and radio and a police scanner to stay abreast on whats happening around me.

Do what you want but think it through, there are lots of stuff to acount for when facing the unknown.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Food yes water yes guns no. If they don't already have guns its not a good time to get into it. More then likely in most parts of the country they will not be needed. Just my opinion.

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 06:47 AM
link   
next year im going to alaska loaded to the hilt, im making my underground cabin there totally undetectable by sight in the day or night. i have stuff already and i have land there. i will live off the land ,while the others will toil with themselves and others when all hell breaks loose. so yeah , buy now, for the necessities of life for when it happens.it will happen, the mayans know the path of the earth , the cycle. times of troubles in 2012. the people in power know they can do nothing. it will start to go to shhh from now on. when the earthquakes start you know it is here.

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 06:52 AM
link   
I'm going to chime in.. Yes, you should.

But I don't endorse the guns, especially if you're going to remain on campus.

Focus on things like food.

Next week is going to be a very telling week if the summits over the weekend don't work out.

There's already been disagreements about implementing global measures.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join