It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People's Proposal for change please read and contribute

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 07:57 AM
link   
I was inspired by this thread in which a county sheriff has ruled that he will not allow foreclosures. www.abovetopsecret.com...

(I have since changed this thread title after a post from a member suggesting everyones input.)

(I am also interested to see if members worldwide would do this or contribute to there own democracy.)

It made me think about posting an e-petition on the Downing Street website to either change housing laws in the following ways (ideas)

- That if a minimum payment of £1 per month is paid to your mortgage your home cannot be repossessed if unemployed

- Ban home repossessions in a UK recession

- Government subsidy payments towards mortgages, rent to help us all cope with rising mortgage payments and unemployment

- Ban wage arrestment in the UK outright

As you can see I am trying to throw ideas out to people in the UK, with rising unemployment, rising evictions, fewer council houses being built, a rising demand for shelter and economic crisis. I think it is time that someone did something.

I for one am tired of talking about this and standing by watching it happen.

I hope than many others feel the same but are lost as to what to do to stop this.

I would like anyone who reads this to try and contribute an idea that would be beneficial to the UK citizens for a change and help in any way that I can bolster my argument for this in an e-petition. I would also hope than anyone who contributes from the UK would be willing to sign for this if you believe that it is truly right.

I am also very interested to see both if it gets interest and if the petition does get massive interest then does it work!

We live in a democracy as we are taught and this is one of the ways to make your voice heard so if you have an opinion do the right thing and your duty as a voter.

I am fortunate enough to still have a job myself, I know many do not and all I can see in the future is a mass of unemployment. We leave it to the last minute all too often in this country.

I understand that a lot of people have lost confidence in democracy and do not believe it matters what you do but I also wonder how many people have tried this? This is a way of seeing if democracy works and the proof will be in the pudding but democracy needs all of the people not just one.

Let me say lastly that I do not care if these ideas work in terms of funding, that is not my job or yours, the prime minister took the job as he believes he can serve the country therefore it is his job and the cabinets to work out the sums for the people.

[edit on 10-10-2008 by XXXN3O]

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 08:12 AM
link   
I whole-heartedly support at least the spirit of the goals of this. I agree with most of what you've said.

Up until the last couple of weeks, despite culture clashes, I've not really had an issue with immigration. From a charitable point of view, I think it's been right we open the doors to war refugees and the like. Even from an economic viewpoint, if we were going to play the European game, then it's only fair we open the doors to European economic tourists.

However, until at least some equilibrium is restored, I think it should stop, literally right now. If the government has nothing to offer or help the people (of whatever religion, colour, or original nationality) already here, then the government has nothing to offer anyone that wants to come here, unless their contribution significantly outweighs any negatives and can actually speed up some kind of restoration.

I also think, regarding nationalisation and privatisation, we've gone the wrong way about it, and applied these things to the wrong things. We shouldn't have private, foreign companies controlling necessary utilities like water and power &c Things like PFI schemes need to be addressed as the taxpayer is loosing out time and time again with these schemes.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Good stuff.

I am tired as well seeing the government bailing out the businesses what about the people? Is that not what democracy is meant to serve.

Its about time we got some from of subsidy for a change with our bills.

I hope a lot of people answer here as I am going to put a petition in and hope you for one sign it and many others. I already have all my friends and family waiting so it should have at least 100 signatures.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by XXXN3O

I hope a lot of people answer here

I'm sorry, but that won't happen. This thread is about petitioning Downing Street. For the bulk of ATS members, that's a minority concern.

Now if you'd have started a thread on prices being raised on ammunition in Texas, or how the Dolphin People of Persuvius were going to land in America in 2015, then you've had a guaranteed few hundred posts in response.

[edit on 10-10-2008 by Merriman Weir]

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Merriman Weir

Well I hope you are wrong but its worth a try?

I know there are quite a lot of ATS members from the UK so if they even tell there friends and family it may just work. I think just by posting the petition it will get some interest as well on the downing street website.

Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Ive already got one I hope?

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Star and Flag man!
Go for it.
If someone doesn't do it, then I can see many many houses in my area going empty. I'm already unemployed and it is getting harder to find jobs worth applying for, most of them round here would actually pay less in wages than I receive in benefits, due to them being '2 hours a day' or 'only required for the weekend' - if I work 8 hours a week for minumum wage (which most of these jobs are), I'd be considerably worse off than I am receiving Jobseekers Allowance. And nothing else, I'm not one of them scumbags who plays the system for every penny they can. I just want to eat.
Oops, went off on one there.. I think its still relevant though.

More jobs!
Less repossessions!
We might not be able to make this country Great again, but we might be able to let those in power know we're p####d off...

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by XXXN3O

Well I hope you are wrong but its worth a try?

I know there are quite a lot of ATS members from the UK so if they even tell there friends and family it may just work. I think just by posting the petition it will get some interest as well on the downing street website.

Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Ive already got one I hope?

As long as it's framed well and not littered with grammatical and spelling errors, yes.

However, Downing Street don't take these petitions seriously. They really, really don't care. If they'd have wanted our opinion on anything, there'd have been various referendums over the years. The reality is, they pretend to listen but don't.

That's not to say we shouldn't try though. Sometimes 'trying' is all we've got.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 08:44 AM
link   

I am in the process of gathering as many signatures as I can firstly. I will post the petition here before I put it forward that way you can see for yourself.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by selfisolated

Thanks. I hope you can bring some signatures to it along with your own.

I have managed to get everyone in my workplace and my partners to offer their signatures as they are struggling as well. Should be a few hundred now and more to confirm.

I dont think simply saying that there are millions of people on the same boat is enough anymore. People need to try at least.

This is about trying to make a difference and proving if democracy really is fair.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 08:59 AM
link   
A question.

Would it free you up if your thread title was about the people's proposal or something of the like? Maybe it would require a new thread by you, however, there have been several good ideas initiated for discussion by several people in this brief thread. The restriction seems to be the idea that Downing Street is fundamental to the solution and the actionable purpose of the thread is a Downing Street petition. While they certainly could and should play a role as can many others, your thread text is really about crafting a people's proposal through discussion to help establish a general course and options as we go. The idea came to you because of a thread about the Cook County Sheriff halting evictions that you read here, on ATS. Why not have the solutions come from a thread like this on ATS and have Downing Street be one of many information dissemination points and actionable efforts to help spread the word of the multiple solutions which could emerge from the ATS site?

Great start....thanks for the thread.
Peace

[edit on 10-10-2008 by DancedWithWolves]

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 09:03 AM
link   
So would you suggest something along the lines of "People's petition for change" to get a bigger audience?

I am interested in this on a world scale of course but I do not want to lose sight of the goal of petitioning government.

Maybe members of different countries could start there own?

Im sure I can still change the title as it is the same day of posting.

Thank you for the input. I did not think of this on a scale of that size.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by DancedWithWolves

I have changed the thread title and welcome input from everyone.

I wonder if members would be willing to try this on the grand scale, I will certainly put a UK petition into Downing Street.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 09:39 AM
link   
I have have completed my first draft of this petition. Please contribute to this as this is my first time trying something like this.

New petition – Part 1 of 3 – Your petition

Please note that you must be a British citizen or resident to create a petition.

We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to...

Introduce a new law banning all home Repossessions in the UK

More details about your petition (1000 characters maximum):

Introduce a law banning all Home Repossessions in the United Kingdom which will be enforced through Government subsidy.
This will allow the citizens of the United Kingdom the protection needed during Economic Crisis and offer the same subsidy as banking institutions.

Duration: 3 Months

Short name for petition: Repossession Law

Category: Housing

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 07:30 AM
link   
I have managed to create a petition for the UK government to ban all home repossessions using subsidy.

Here is a link for anyone who wishes to view or sign.

Cheers

petitions.number10.gov.uk...

top topics

join