It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will this be Black Friday? - 10/10/08

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 10:46 AM
link   
With the banks being closed on Monday, imagine what all can happen in the span of 3 days. If they do expand the bank holiday, which is what Columbus Day is, what will everyone do without access to their money.

I personally just withdrew $1000 just in case. Still have a bit more but this will get me by 'just in case' I guess.

The teller looked pretty depressed and didnt even ask questions. I'm guessing they've been seeing it all week. Bank was busy with others doing the same.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by GoalPoster

Yah, I still can't get over the fact that the government thinks that we need more credit to survive this credit crisis.

its like giving a fat person a cake to help them lose weight...

(hope I didn't offend anyone, if I did, I didn't mean to)

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Sorry, but this thread is hilarious.

"OH MY GODZ, END OF THE WORLDZ"
"AHHHH - run for the hills, this is it...."
"Mommmmmmy !!!!!"
"Oh, wait, it's not that bad......"
"what a let-down
"
"But wait - Tuesday will be worse..."
"oh yeah.......OH MY GODZ TUESDAY IS END OF WORLDZ!"
"AHHHHH - Mommmmmmy!"

Seriously, some of you people need to calm down and go outside - I promise the world is still turning.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 10:50 AM
link   

I learned that lesson from being in my line of work and seeing the gigantic avalanche of credit card debt that so many people had buried themselves under.

I cut up my one and only credit card back in 2002 and threw it in the trash. And believe me when I say I thank god every day I at least had sense enough to do that.

I try and live old school, that train of thought that says "if you cant buy it you dont need it". I pay cash for just about everything. Blowing up credit card debt is the same as selling your soul to the devil.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 10:50 AM
link   
FTSE just closed down 8.85% - down 381.7 points.

I know that's just one line but what else can I say........

actually I can say that its 250 billion down this week!

[edit on 10-10-2008 by Maya00a]

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Curio

People who aren't worried about the economy, don't understand what is going on...

there are shipments of grain sitting on loading docks across the U.S.

They aren't being shipped because the companies that typically buy them, can't get the short term credit that they need to make the purchase.

www.financialpost.com...

ever read Atlas Shrugged?

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Curio

Thanks!! Im glad we could all manage to amuse you

-455.....thats right....it just dropped over 100 points in a matter of 5 seconds.

-472 now

[edit on 10/10/08 by BlackOps719]

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Curio

I know who will be running around with their head cut off when they have no food on the table in a few months saying how did this happen
Then who will be

Dow-501

[edit on 10-10-2008 by duffster]

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Not out of the woods yet kiddies

Now back to -418.....geez this thing is all over the place!!

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 10:59 AM
link   
It will rally... come on damnit rally.

I still havent bought those RBS shares. I reckon they will bottom out today, floor laid for a buy on monday.

It would be ludicrous for a share to trade at below 1 on the E/P ratio (ie the company would make more money by just buying back the share than letting it stay in circulation).

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by nj2day
reply to post by Curio

People who aren't worried about the economy, don't understand what is going on...

Or maybe they know enough to not be worried...

We'll all still be here this time next week.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Any of you guys having a hard time with the refreshing with google One min it's slow as then next it's fine?

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlackOps719

I learned that lesson from being in my line of work and seeing the gigantic avalanche of credit card debt that so many people had buried themselves under.

I cut up my one and only credit card back in 2002 and threw it in the trash. And believe me when I say I thank god every day I at least had sense enough to do that.

I try and live old school, that train of thought that says "if you cant buy it you dont need it". I pay cash for just about everything. Blowing up credit card debt is the same as selling your soul to the devil.

This is me, too. No credit cards - I pay everything in cash.

Credit cards are the Devil.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Curio

reply to post by Curio

Most people with half a clue passed "worried" some time back in September.

What we are watching for and trying to figure out is wheather or not our money will be entirely worthless next week...or worse...completely gone.

link   

Originally posted by Curio

reply to post by Curio

Its not a matter of if we'll be here... everyone will still be here...

This is a significant change in the american way of life.

some have predicted that the U.S. will be a third world power this time next year.

link   

Originally posted by duffster
reply to post by Curio

I know who will be running around with their head cut off when they have no food on the table in a few months saying how did this happen
Then who will be

Dow-501

[edit on 10-10-2008 by duffster]

If you think I'll be sitting here with no food on the table in a few months then you've lost the plot.

Why do people who don't buy into this irrational fear mongering have to be ignorant? Try looking in the mirror.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 11:06 AM
link   
hi, first post. been lurkin here for a few months.

i've been watchin the yahoo dow jones graph, makes for interesting reading. however, can someone more knowledgeable than myself look at the max timeframe for the graph (so it shows 1930-present) and tell me why the dow jones increased so much since 1995?? and why if this current news is all so bad, we are still only at 1998s level??

yahoo

many thanks in advance!

[edit on 10-10-2008 by _WtU_]

[edit on 10-10-2008 by _WtU_]

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Curio

Things are already bad whatever way you look at it. Can't really get around it when the stock market goes down in double digits.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Artista

This is me, too. No credit cards - I pay everything in cash.

Credit cards are the Devil.

I did the same thing over the summer. Problem is, my partner went ape crap on me . . . said that we needed credit . . .

We're still arguing over that . . . I refuse to buy anything I can't pay for as it only lines the pockets of others at my expense.

Just won't do it and it is probably going to cost me my relationship, but I can't live any other way.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Good for you.

The money thing and spending habits is the leading cause of divorce in this country. One person is smart with money and the other runs up debt like no tomorrow.

I have seen men serve their wives with divorce papers during loan closings because the husband is refinancing the home to pay off credit card debt that was taken on by the wife without his knowledge.

It may sound mean, but I would never anchor myself to someone who will ultimately ruin my credit and standard of living with their out of control spending habits. It just wont work out.

Looks like a slight ralley at -289...things are looking up

new topics

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join